Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new machine Sign In/Join 
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted
Someone who knows me well, found this old Franklin Rotary at a flea market and picked it up for me. I just love the old machines. It was in sad shape, but my DH has been fixing them up for me for a long time and has worked his usual magic.

Isn't she just beautiful? She sews like a dream too. There is still a small resistance issue, but hubby will figure it out and fix it for me.

There are seven days in a week and Someday isn't one of them.

GO RAVENS!!!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
The faceplate. I can't get over how great the paint looks. It had faded pretty well, but my DH is awesome.

GO RAVENS!!!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
And the cover. A little lemon oil works a lot of magic here.

I'm going on retreat this week and will take her with me. If ever there was a room that would appreciate her, it's this one.

Now on to the research. I do know that it was originally manufactured by Sears & Roebuck, but I'm still trying to date her.

Just had to share my new sweetie pie. I just love her.

Oh yeah - she has a little drawer on the side full of all of her original attachments PLUS the book. Cool, huh?

GO RAVENS!!!

posted Hide Post
You have a real keeper there. Can't wait to see it.

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
She's a beauty!

Posts: 3378 | Location: Soon to be NC | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
WOW what a beautiful machine

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 764 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you wanted to show off this treasure here. Thanks for sharing it with us. Lucky machine to have such a loving home.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6337 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
That IS a beauty. You have a GOOD husband!

Posts: 9588 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
She is pretty!
The faded paint-- did cleaning and a quick wipe with oil or something bring it back or did your DH repaint?

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
The paint was just cleaned and oiled. You have to be careful - too much and you'll wipe it right off.

Singer has a great site for dating your machines, but this is a bit tougher. But I'll keep at it, I'll find out her origins.

I am a very lucky girl. I bring them home and DH fixes them up for me.

GO RAVENS!!!

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Have fun at your retreat and keep a really close eye on your machine, she will be having lots of admirers. LOL

Posts: 8155 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
I've been puttering around on the web and from what I can find out - and it's not much - it was made some time between 1939 and 1942. So she's probably around 70 years old or so. Looks good for her age. Smile

GO RAVENS!!!

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
What a great little machine! It looks wonderful and you are so lucky that your DH will fix them up for you.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6737 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bettyb
posted Hide Post
KMD, love your new machine. Wish I was so lucky to find a bargain at a flea market or garage sale. At the International Quilt Show in Houston the machines are quite pricey. Will keep looking and hope to find one, cheap!

Posts: 531 | Registered: Nov 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
It's a lovely machine. Enjoy using it on your retreat! And applause to your DH for helping you get it in good shape. Smile

Posts: 3641 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hot Potter Momma
posted Hide Post
Lucky, lucky you!

Posts: 41 | Registered: Nov 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I think your machine is a lucky girl too. She just got a new loving home. Have fun with your new projects.

piney

Posts: 3216 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
The machine is lookin good. Enjoy!!

Mary

Posts: 4040 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
Hubby worked on her a bit more yesterday and fixed the resistance issue - the light originally dimmed when you used the machine. Kind of a pain. But now she is in tip-top shape and ready to go. I'm hoping to sew on it a bit this weekend and get a feel for the machine.

We're ready for our closeup, Mr. DeMille!

GO RAVENS!!!

Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post
What a great new old machine. Lucky you. Its nice to have a DH that can work his magic on the old ones.

Have a Good Day!

Posts: 13296 | Location: Southwestern Maine Zone 5 U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the old Franklins! I have one with the scarab beetles on it. Check with Sears.com or call them. The Franklins were made for sale by Sears.

Posts: 420 | Registered: Jan 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
Katie, your machine and your DH are both gems!

I hope I look that good at age 70, but I'm sure I'll need some "touch ups" too, lol! Smile

Devonne

Posts: 14994 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post