Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crumbs Sign In/Join 
Picture of Anael7621
posted
I thought I didn't like them, untill today I even didn't exactly know what they are. I had a bag full of them, somewhere between other stuff I needed to get rid of.
Today I saw a tut on the internet about how to make blocks with crumbs. I thought I could do that too and started making 4.5" blocks. Look what I did today. Now I'm sorry I don't have enough to make a whole quilt.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
OH...YOU WILL ... very cute start ... the others are in the bags ...

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 8994 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvthosequilts
posted Hide Post
I like it! Will you sash? or just sew together...
BTW, just curious, how wold you quilt this?

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

Posts: 4510 | Registered: Feb 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
@Sandie: I don't have any more bags! I donated them a few months ago to a daycare center.

@luvthosequilts: I will sash the blocks but don't know what color yet. I thought about quilting, maybe some kind of swirly all over design or SID the sashing but that might be too far apart.
When it's finished I think I will donate it to the same daycare center.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I remember a quilt teacher once saying, "You paid $9 a yard for any scraps you're throwing out." So I've always held onto crumbs like that for PP'ing small blocks, but I've never sewn them into blocks like that. Can you post the link to the tutorial?

Posts: 5438 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I should have known that was Bonnie, the queen of scraps & crumbs! Smile

Posts: 5438 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
That is a heck of a good start for a fabulous quilt!!!!!

BTW, don't ever mention you don't have enough of anything on this board....you'll be amazed at how quickly you will have lots and lots. lolllll

And while you are loving your Crumbs work, check out the Inchie and Ticker Tape projects on the board, and the Internet if you really want to find yourself saving every blithering scrap you make. lollllll

http://www.with-heart-and-hand...-to-make-inchie.html

http://www.stitchedincolor.com...cker-tape-quilt.html

Posts: 5912 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
The only certainty I have is shipping to Europe is expensive Big Grin Big Grin
Thanks for the compliments on my crumb blocks!

Paus, I love your avatar, it's showing so nicely now! The star fabric is gorgeous!

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I tried doing them once; but I didn't like the way they were coming out.

Posts: 9460 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Maybe you need more crumbs in other colors?

Picture of quiltinnana
posted Hide Post
I love making crumb blocks when I want to sew without having to plan or match intersections, etc. I just finished a top of crumb blocks assembled as a ten minute blocks, with the center diamond being a solid light green. Then I sashed between the TMB's with the same green. Wish I could post pictures to show you. It's a good feeling making "fabric" from what might be thrown away.

Posts: 1510 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I sure have more now. See my post about "Yes Sir, Yes Sir, Two Bags Full" where I got a ton of fabrics at a yard sale last weekend.

Posts: 9460 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aunt Reba you just need to put those in a quilt...they will look great.

Anael...like you blocks....glad it was fun..

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9916 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marion2
posted Hide Post
I made this one with "quilt as you go" method. Just an idea for you.

Posts: 5553 | Location: OK | Registered: Jun 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marion2
posted Hide Post
And here is the back. This makes it reversible and a good way to use your extra blocks.

Posts: 5553 | Location: OK | Registered: Jun 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thanks Marion for showing! I thought about white sashing but had no idea if that would work but it does! I think it will take a while to finish this as I'm running out of usable crumbs.

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of a cityscape and I LOVE it!!

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Well done, Marion!!!! Very pretty.

Picture of vickiquilts
posted Hide Post
Actually I LOVE the back - a minimalistic look and very pretty! I have done a lot of crumbs - need to make more. I have one crumb quilt but lots of blocks. Thanks for the inspiration! Beautiful quilts! Miss a couple of weeks and look at what y'all have been up to!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vickiquilts,

Treat your body like you will live forever
Treat your soul like you will die tomorrow

Posts: 3831 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
I love doing these. Totally mindless sewing. Do two sets, one rwb an the other anything else. In the past I have used them in a strip for the border of a fun & done string quilt to make it the size I needed. Also for string block tops to make up the size I needed. Make them 4 1/2 and 6 1/2 size... Chri

Posts: 5865 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
And some more... Chris

Posts: 5865 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
A few more... Chris

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
One last one... Chris

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
I like to use up my scraps with crumb quilts. Here is one I did in pastels.

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love crumbs and never get enough of them. I have made several twin sized quilts from them. I use clear down to 1 inch blocks. They make the prettiest quilts. So colorful.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Do you make them on a foundation? I've forgotten. Well I found an answer here: http://quiltville.com/barbscrumbs.shtml GREAT tutorial.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Auntie Reba,

Picture of vickiquilts
posted Hide Post
Marian 2 I hope you don't mind but I pinned the back and put your Marian2 from HGTV on the label - if you don't want it public please let me know but I just LOVE it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vickiquilts,

Posts: 3831 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Chlynn - your quilt is beautiful. It has really inspired me! TFS

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1925 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marion2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vickiquilts:
Marian 2 I hope you don't mind but I pinned the back and put your Marian2 from HGTV on the label - if you don't want it public please let me know but I just LOVE it!

vickiquilts: I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what you mean. Pinned the back? Public label--public where?

I'm so glad you love it, and it sounds good to me! Thanks for the compliment.

I was going to put a smiley face here, but I don't think the emotioncons are working.

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of quilt as you go....I have plenty of scraps......mindless sewing when I'm stressed - beginning to sound even better....

Posts: 6450 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Thank you Wannaquilt2! I have made several of these. They make great quilts for my grand kids to take out and sit in the yard or on a stadium bench. I have not put a lot of time into careful piecing so I don't mind how they are used Razz)

My son asked if I minded if they put them on the grand for my 19 month old grandson. Of course not!

I work on several blocks at a time for fast piecing. I like mine to be small; around 4-6 inches finished.

Have fun!

Posts: 1994 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Maybe she means Pinterest? I don't exactly understand how it works but all I know is that when someone likes something, they put a picture of it there and their friends find out about it....I guess.

Picture of vickiquilts
posted Hide Post
OH Marian I am sorry I pinned your back.on Pinterest
I love the way it looks and wanted to.keep a pic and share with othe
Do you do Pinterest?

Picture of Marion2
posted Hide Post
No, I don't Pinterest, but have some friends that do. I have heard of it. That's a real compliment to me for you to do that!

My first thought, of course, was you made a backing, and pinned it (like safety pins) and put my name on the label. LOL!!

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
I cant keep my eyes off this tread ... yesterday my son 'helped' me with a few things (thank goodness he didn'thelep with all I needed to do!) and I have a long table load of pics and patterns to go thru - and some bags of scraps that i tried to toss in the past and buried them ,, you know "Huh, how did THAT get down there" my son did not believe for a minute that I didn't know a thing about them .. you know that grin your kids get when yo know they know that you know you are tryong to pull one off? well that's the one i got ... so there are those bags literally in my face .. adn here are thse amazing quilt projects literally in my face ... i suppose i ought to DO something creative .. what do you think? (please excuse typosss, having issues on here)
So, what doyou think?

Wounded Warrior Project

Posts: 8994 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marion2
posted Hide Post
I think you need to gather up some of those scraps and start sewing them together. Then, when you have a large piece, cut it up into squares, then, then, then, keep on goin'

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Auntie Reba, I don't use a foundation for the sizes I make. There are so many seams when you use pieces the size I do, you don't need a foundation... Chris

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris for the tip.

Picture of vickiquilts
posted Hide Post
Marian - LOL - I love pinterest - can really spend hours on it but I think it's better than surfing the web and possibly getting a virus. And anyone who is a friend on pinterest has the same interests - I like that! ;-)

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I found this: http://exuberantcolor.blogspot...en-width-strips.html and I am WILD about the zig-zag half log cabin at the top. I'm going to try it. Now to decide on a block size.

Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Pardon my elementary question but what is the difference in this and a crazy quilt...well, I know the sizes of the fabric is different and I sure do appreciate the embelishments, laces and stitches etc. but is there something else? And I think the kinds of fabrics used in CQ is different from this so maybe Ive answered my own question???

Posts: 3618 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: Jul 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
..... this is a good question ... the thing abut CQ's is all the embellishment. Maybe just fancy embroidery all around the seams .. maybe some initials, or sweet sayings ... byt ones we are calling crumms are far more lacksadaisical... that's my take on it Smile
typos are not correctible today - hope you can read around them

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Thanks, City. That is exactly what I thought. CQing is soooo elegant!!!!

Posts: 3618 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: Jul 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Auntie Reba, TYFS!!! That quilt you like/love...so do I. What a great way to use up your uneven string scraps!!!!

I'm gonna explain a little bit about the Crazy Quilts. SOME CQ were made with all the goodies on them, many are nothing more than scraps used in a colorful manner. Crazy quilts with all the lace, embroidery and appliques were usually done by ladies of class that wanted to impress gentlemen callers with their sewing skills. They were done during 'calls' or among women at a tea or social. They became 'heirloom' type quilts.

Other CQ were very much utility quilts, made from whatever was available. They, also, were made during women's meetings, when a feller came calling, in the evenings when work was done, and very often given as gifts. They weren't made from silks, satins or velvets but were prized nonetheless because of their workmanship.

That's a little bit of quilt history for today. If you search the Internet you will find examples of both styles of Crazy Quilts.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I made one of those blocks paus. Maybe later I'll post a pic.

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
... I have been giving most of my smaller pieces to a gal making doggie beds for the rescue shleter ... but if anyone wants more to so some of this crummy stuff .. i can send some ..just PM your address Smile
that was supposed to say DO not so .. still cannot make headway on here, no backing up, no correctionin=ng

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Sandie - sent you P.M. Smile

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1925 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Chris- will u post pics of your crumb quilts u were working on in odenville, pretty please?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I have lots of crumbs to sew. I keep them by my machine and use as leaders nd enders-the Bonnie Hunter method.

PamSmile

Posts: 5700 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post