Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  senior discounts OT
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

senior discounts OT Sign In/Join 
Picture of nancyc20
posted
I think I need to color my hair. Maybe that would make me look like I don't automatically qualify for a senior discount???

I called my airconditioning person to set up an appointment to check out the heating for winter. I noticed a clause for senior discount. I asked her if I was old enough for one and she told me I was already on the plan.

Sheesh. Do I look elderly? I wanted to ask for it!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8630 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
About 5 years ago I took my grown son out for lunch and paid the bill. I was thinking about what I paid and told DS that I didn't get charged enough--He read the receipt and said "Mom you got the senior discount" I was embarrassed, but DS thought it was a real neat surprise. We had a great lunch and didn't have to pay more after I talked to the clerk.LOL

Posts: 8027 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
At a recent pot luck dinner at church, the pastor said that all senior citizens could get in line first. His definition of sr. cit. was anyone who has been offered sr. cit. discount!

Posts: 6545 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Pivvilou, OUCH!!!!LOL

Posts: 8027 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I always have to ask for the senior discount. I feel happy about that. I also have had my BF and a hair dresser ask who I had doing my hair coloring. I don't color my hair. What you see is what nature gave to me.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3507 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I got carded in my 30's. Guess those days are over. Frown

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8630 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since 50 is the new 30, that makes 60 the new 40. Doesn't seem so bad that way. Besides, I'm all for any kind of savings. Of course I've been getting the discount for a lot of years!

Posts: 1059 | Location: Smoky Mountains TN | Registered: Oct 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I kept a senior discount receipt for a long time...

Son was 16 and we had gone to pickup a Mustang for him from stepson. We stopped at Golden Corral in Rice Texas - yes I name names! We all three got the same steak from the grill (I do not like Golden Corral buffet at all!). You order...you pay...you sit down...waitress brings your steak. About halfway through the meal, I glanced at the receipt DH had placed on the table. I picked it up. Hmmm...one steak cost more than the other two. I brought it to DHs attention. When the waitress came around he asked her why the price difference. She looked at the receipt...looked at my 65 year old husband...looked at me and smiled. "Two of you got the senior discount."

I was FORTY-SIX!!

Advantage (or disadvantage) of having a teenage boy at the register!!! My hair is still au naturel...a few grey hairs that shine like a fiber optic lamp when the sun hits it.

My daddy was correct - You are judged by the company you keep. Wink

Posts: 16929 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
Enjoy every perk of the senior discount!!!!

Happy Stitching...Lois

Posts: 2203 | Location: Chanhassen, MN | Registered: Aug 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
People think my DD & I are sisters & she's 46...lucky me! If I want a senior discount I have to ask for one & believe me, I do ask. I've found tht most places won't give you one unless you ask.

Nicki

Posts: 8129 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
I feel I've earned it so have no problem asking for it.

I don't mind coming to work. But that 8 hr. wait to go home is a drag.
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x189/indycatCarol/

Posts: 3448 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mw8930
posted Hide Post
My DH & I went to a burger place yesterday and the girl gave him the SC discount. He's 53 - I don't know what was worse, her giving him the discount or the giddiness he showed in getting it.

Posts: 302 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
Sherry that is so funny. Years ago when our kids were still in school, my DH and a co-worker who lived close would share rides to work. One morning my car was in the shop and the kids and I rode with DH to pick up his co-worker. After they got out of the car the co-worker told DH he had a pretty teenage daughter. My husband hasn't gotten over that yet, he's only 3 years older than me.

Posts: 1711 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ann in OR
posted Hide Post
I take the discount, whenever I can. Smile

Business set up there own age discount, some start as low as 50. I was at one restaurant that you had to be 70 to get a discount.

Then there are the stores that offer senior discounts on certain days, but I seem to find out while shopping on the wrong day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Posts: 1313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltnanny
posted Hide Post
I ask every where "is there a sr discount" I am on fixed income as lots of others are, so I appreciate any discount. I cut coupons and shop for sales..

Posts: 4432 | Location: Fabricologist Resource Center, NH | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post