Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Retreat Row Robins - PA 2013 active topic :)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retreat Row Robins - PA 2013 active topic :) Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello Retreaters! These are the offical rules for the June 2013 Harrisburg retreat Row Robin. The committee was inspired by the quilt show during retreat in Branson, and has a great theme for you all for 2013!

I will be allocating groups of FIVE people - this will give each person a quilt measuring 72 x 48 inches (finished)including the sashings between rows.

The Row Robin Quilts theme will be "Friendship is the thread that ties hearts together"

Each artist will create a row that will measure 12 1/2" by 48 1/2". A length of fabric (the Thread) will be sent to each participant that is to be used only in row 1 (the middle row).

Row 1) Make the "thread" enter the quilt at the outermost edge of the upper left corner and extend down 3"; it must be at least 3" wide. It should run through the 48 1/2" length in any method, style or technique the quilter desires. But it must exit the quilt at the lowermost edge of the bottom corner and measure 3" high by at least 3" wide. The quilt owner will add a 3"(finished) sash on the top and on the bottom of her row and send 2 pieces of her sashing fabric 3 1/2" x 48 1/2" along with her row to be used on the last 2 rows.

Row 2 The next quilter will add her row ABOVE the row with the "ribbon". It may be in any method, style or technique she desires following the theme of " Friendship is the thread that ties hearts together". The row must measure 12 1/2" by 48 1/2" unfinished.

Row 3 The next quilter will add her row BELOW the row with the "ribbon". It may be in any method, style or technique she desires following the theme of " Friendship is the thread that ties hearts together". The row must measure 12 1/2" by 48 1/2" unfinished.

Row 4 & 5) The next quilters will add their rows to the TOP then the BOTTOM of the quilt using any method, technique or style they choose in keeping with the first 2 rows. She will add the sashing and her row to either the top or the bottom of rows 2 or 3. These rows must measure 12 1/2" unfinished by 48 1/2" unfinished.

The person who sews the last row will mail the quilt to Lori (Gonesewin) by JUNE 1, 2013

Please do NOT share pictures of your rows or the quilt. Please use good quality fabrics, and be aware that you may need to buy additional fabrics for each row to ensure that your row fits in with the preceeding rows.
Have fun and happy piecing to all!

Dates : Your initial row must be mailed by DEC 10th
The next three mailing dates are
January 24th
March 4th
April 12th

The last row will need to be completed and then mailed to Lori (Gonesewin) by June first. The last row will give you over 6 weeks if they have all been on time, so feel free to mail the last row as soon as it's done.

Jane_Kiwi

Posts: 1790 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Group ONE
1 Alexemmarose
2 Charmingsister
3 TeaSea
4 MuggoMuggo
5 mcpatches

Group TWO
6 Terrimae
7 Bluesnail
8 Lindaj52
9 KBlue
10 Pandibear

Group THREE
11 Auntie Reba
12 DJBrown
13 Gemsq
14 Aliquilt
15 City/Sandie

Group FOUR
16 Headielamar
17 Quilter Chris
18 Elainetoo
19 SueB
20 Lakequilter

Group FIVE
21 Ilovemy4kids
22 Iquiltalot
23 Teddylady
24 Txwildflower
25 NancyRabbit

Posts: 1790 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
I have been having so much fun designing my middle row. I finally figured out how to wind my thread thru the row. Then working around the thread I'm adding some of my favorite things as well as some traditional blocks. This is going to be so much fun. I can't wait to see them all hanging together!

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
It was fun trying to figure out what to do with the fabric thread. My middle row has been completed and received by the next in line.

Going to be fun to see how these progress and the final display.

Jane-Kiwi... can we share pictures of the tops within our group? So when the final row is done that person can send the originator a picture of her top. Or are we to keep that a surprise til the show also?

Posts: 7979 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's all a surprise! Smile Thanks for asking first

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
Okay, someone is done???? I'm just starting. Designed, fabrics washed etc... but I won't get to do it till Thanksgiving week and the week after. Frown But it will be mailed by the correct date!

Sandra

Posts: 521 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
Jane I have a question about the sashing. the fabric I want to use is mot 48 inches. but I have enough to make 4x48 sashing with a seam. is that ok?

SUE B

The smallest Cross in the corner is the one you put in the room.

I hope all our daily ups and downs are with needle and thread.

COF 2007 http://www2.snapfish.com/snapf...BRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Posts: 1457 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sashing, My sashing fabric will have a seam also, because of the way the design runs.

Sandra

Posts: 521 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seams are just fine Smile

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jane_Kiwi:
It's all a surprise! Smile Thanks for asking first
Jane_Kiwi

Well, that's really going to make it interesting looking at the wall hanging - seeing everyone's and trying to find your own - seeing the results for the first time! The cameras will be flashing.

Received the middle row from a group member, so we've started the round. Going to be fun trying to add rows - who knows where it will lead.

Posts: 7979 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to figure out my middle row. As I was reading KBlue's post "to wind my thread thru the row," and it came to me. Thank you KBlue now to get to work on it.

SUE B

Posts: 1457 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
Your welcome Sue B. I can't wait to see all of the ways we carry the thread acrossed the row.

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elainetoo:
...Going to be fun trying to add rows - who knows where it will lead.

Did I say that?! Smile It's not that easy..
".......it may be in any method, style or technique she desires following the theme of the quilt and the colors determined by the middle row."

?And you determine what do do, how? Smile It's going to take longer to do the added rows, than the middle row.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

posted Hide Post
If you haven't already done so, pleases update your progress in the PM for your row robin group. Nobody wants me to be calling them on Thursday, right? Smile

Jane_kiwi

Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
Jane, I thought the initial row had to be mailed by Dec 10th? Do I have the wrong dates???

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Posted an update. You can call anytime to say hello, how are ya! I'm hoping it's 12-10 also.

Posts: 9457 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ~~Tx~~  Wildflower
posted Hide Post
Quick question: Is our beginning row and subsequent rows supposed to be arty? Or can they be regular blocks?

Thanks,

Susan

Posts: 17159 | Location: Zone 9a | Registered: Sep 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pandibear
posted Hide Post
Still staring....

Andi

Posts: 304 | Location: Iowa and Missouri | Registered: Jul 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
My middle row is sort of arty and has some traditional blocks. But, I would think as my group adds rows on that they will be traditional blocks.

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
have not started

Posts: 5662 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ~~Tx~~ Wildflower:
Quick question: Is our beginning row and subsequent rows supposed to be arty? Or can they be regular blocks?

Thanks.
Susan

I believe it's your decision for the middle row. The instruction sheet says any method style or technique you want to use. And for the subsequent rows "It may be in any method, style or technique she desires following the theme of the quilt and the colors determined by the middle row.."

I read theme as Fall, Christmas, kids, etc. Not technique. So it will be up to every quilter to decide how she's going to follow the middle row. Smile That's how I read it.. ?

It will be very interesting to see how each row developed when you see your final top.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
yes, Dec 10

You can make your row anything you want - as long as it has the ribbon in it going in the prescibed order.

After that, on the row/quilt you are sent you can do traditional blocks or arty ones just be sure you keep with whatever theme the owner has started, if any.

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4904 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Is the theme already pre-determined: Friendship is the thread that ties hearts together? If this becomes in a different direction i.e. holiday, I may have to back out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Auntie Reba,

Posts: 9457 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
I'm working, that is my hands are working trying to keep up with my brain. It isn't going fast as my brain would like.LOL

SUE B

Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
Sue B, I'm having that same problem. I think my brain went into overdrive, my hands just can't keep up!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Reba:
Is the theme already pre-determined: Friendship is the thread that ties hearts together? If this becomes in a different direction i.e. holiday, I may have to back out.

Yes the theme is pre-determined. From the first post :

The Row Robin Quilts theme will be "Friendship is the thread that ties hearts together"

The thread fabric really doesnt lead itself to any holiday except maybe Valentines, but since its a friendship theme and not love, I don't think you will have much to worry about Auntie Reba.

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KBlue:
Jane, I thought the initial row had to be mailed by Dec 10th? Do I have the wrong dates???

As Lori has confirmed it is Dec 10th for the first row. However, in your group PM was the following request :

"Please update once a week with progress - I am all for posting teasing obscure hints, but please, no photos or real give-aways on what it's looking like."

Soooo since it has been 3 weeks since the fabric started arriving, and I hadn't heard from quite a few people I wanted to make sure that everyone was on track. If anyone is having problems I need to know as soon as possible so we can work something out. That's why you all have my email and phone number Smile I'm here to help! And if you are all doing great, just a quick word then I don't need to worry Wink

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the clarification Jane_Kiwi!

posted Hide Post
Group 4 wins chocolate! Big Grin They are the first group to update me fully.

I'll have to keep a running total of this, I am sure there will be other surprise chocolate in the next 6 months.

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I hope you're getting that chocolate donated! I hadn't figured that in my budget Wink

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 4904 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've saved a bundle giving up soda and chocolate Smile Even donating $1 to the animal shelter for every pound I lose, i will still have plenty left over to bribe (I mean reward!) Row Robin ladies Big Grin

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Oops sorry, I read the 'theme' as the type of fabric being used by people..!!.. Didn't think of the theme of the whole Row Robin.

And Yahoo! chocolate! just what I need.

Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
oh yes! CHOCOLATE! we are almost out of Halloween candy!
woun't be in sewing room till Sunday. UUUGGG!!! I just don't like it when I can't sew a little something each day. makes me think I'm getting behind. but don't worry I'm doing ok. Should be finished by next friday G-O-D willing.

SUE B

Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
Wow all the way back on page three.
OK what's in my head and on the paper look the same, BUT the finished project is NOT UUUUGGGG!!!! to start over, or rip out? I will let it be till Saturday.

SUE B

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Got a decent start today. Now if I only knew how to square things up.

Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
Mines about ready to go. Hope to send it out on Tuesday.

Char

Posts: 704 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
the weekend was full, did'n get into the sewing room to sew. will get in there today.

SUE B

Picture of gemsq
posted Hide Post
Got a block done, yeah. These are big blocks.

Posts: 730 | Location: illinois | Registered: Sep 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smile

Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
OK first section is comming out way better the the other one. but I don't know what I'm did wrong. maybe not holding my mouth wright.LOL

SUE B

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Working on the second row, so far so good.

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
lol @ Sue B

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I just saw this--I was moved from the wait list. Are there more waiting to be grouped or is it too late?
Will be fun to see what you all create

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3532 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done a couple trial blocks before using the beautiful required fabric. Question... I understand about the fabric moving through all the blocks and out the specified corner.. can we use blocks that would have, oh say flying geese which would briefly break the flow of the fabric, but it would be going up and down through the block...if that makes any sense?? Or should it be a solid through the block.

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What she asked...... I'd like to know too!

quote:
Originally posted by Aliquilt:
I've done a couple trial blocks before using the beautiful required fabric. Question... I understand about the fabric moving through all the blocks and out the specified corner.. can we use blocks that would have, oh say flying geese which would briefly break the flow of the fabric, but it would be going up and down through the block...if that makes any sense?? Or should it be a solid through the block.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motqltr:
I just saw this--I was moved from the wait list. Are there more waiting to be grouped or is it too late?
Will be fun to see what you all create

Sorry but it closed several weeks ago, since we had a shorter time between retreats this time.

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemy4kids:
What she asked...... I'd like to know too!

quote:
Originally posted by Aliquilt:

Up and down is great, geese are great, as long as it has the required size fabric on the starting and ending corners. You can go wider and/or narrower through your row, as long as each block or segment has some of the thread fabric going through it.

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
Sounds like everyone is ready to mail on time Smile Thanks to those that have already mailed. A quick reminder to post the confirmation numbers on your groups PM as you mail Smile

My phone number and email address are also listed if you run into any difficulties. I always have my phone with me and usually check my email at least once a day.

Thanks!!!

Jane_Kiwi

posted Hide Post
Done and mailing Monday. Please don't laugh when you see it. I tried!

posted Hide Post
I am not part of this but am so excited for all of you. I can't wait to see them hanging.

Rondi

Posts: 1534 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post