Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Retreat Row Robins - PA 2013 active topic :)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retreat Row Robins - PA 2013 active topic :) Sign In/Join 
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
WOrking on mine when I get back. helping friend will be back in about three hours. should be finished today I pray.

SUE B

The smallest Cross in the corner is the one you put in the room.

I hope all our daily ups and downs are with needle and thread.

COF 2007 http://www2.snapfish.com/snapf...BRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Posts: 1459 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...mine made the mail today - will post the in for on our group thread ... this was quite a challenge as i had OVER read the instructions ,, I made the middle row AND a pieced row ,.. well, maybe I can add it later Smile or not.

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 8988 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
ok I have done all I can do tonight. I'm going out of town Sunday and will be back home Tuesday afternoon. So I will finish Tuesday and mail Wedensday.
thanks

SUE B

Posts: 1459 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ilovemy4kids:
Done and mailing Monday. Please don't laugh when you see it. I tried!

I am sure it looks great Smile Every single row robin last year came out looking wonderful.

Thanks ladies for updating Smile

Sandie - oh no, sounds like you did double the work but still made it on time!! Like you say, maybe you can still use it Smile

Jane_Kiwi

Posts: 1791 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pandibear
posted Hide Post
Mine is done and will be mailed tomorrow.

andi

Posts: 304 | Location: Iowa and Missouri | Registered: Jul 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished mine and will mail it tomorrow.

Posts: 182 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
Mine went out yesterday...the confirmation number is posted on our groups private messages.

Char

Posts: 704 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
did I mention that mine went out on Saturday?

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4907 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
Mine was supposed to be ready to mail today, but some life happened and hopefully I can mail it tomorrow.....

my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!

Posts: 4558 | Location: maybe Texas someday | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mailed mine Saturday.

Posts: 298 | Location: usa | Registered: Sep 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
Ugh! I can't believe I did this (or that I'm sharing it...)I was so excited about this quilt. I got out graph paper, taped it together and graphed a "story" into my blocks with the thread weaving around. I finished last night - include replacing a few small blocks that just didn't look right. So very happy with how it turned out. I pulled out my instructions to make sure I cut my sashing correctly. Then I realized my error. In my excitement I made it 60" wide, not 48". I was up late trying to take out pieces and bring the width down to 48". I was able to figure out a way to keep the thread where it needed to be and not distort the row to much. If you look closely you may see a small piece of thread where it doesn't belong. But, I think it will work. I'm hoping I can still finish it today and get it in the mail. As the saying goes "As I sew, so shall I rip"

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
..... KBlue - you have my deepeest sympathy - your booboo was worse than mine - I made an entire extra row ... and almost had it sewn on - but stopped to read the directions again and nearly wept .. WHAT? You know what they say, measure twice, cut once .. man did that hold true for this one .. you get it .. see, you are in excellent company Smile a bunch of OVER achievers!

Wounded Warrior Project

Posts: 8988 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
Kelly, I know the feeling. I had to rip out half of my third block FOUR TIMES until I got it correct. I had no problems with the first two blocks, but I kept flipping the pieces incorrectly on that third block. Each time I resewed the pieces, I thought it was okay, and then I'd lay it next to the other half of the block and it would be wrong! Once I finally got that third block done, the fourth block went together with no problem at all. So you have my sympathy. But I'm sure that it will be just fine.

LindaJ52

Posts: 2387 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sandie and Linda for your kind words. In the end it still looks great. I can hardly tell what missing, so I know one else would see it. I still have my sashings to do. I may have to mail first thing in the morning.

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I am glad you all were able to fix your rows Smile I know they'll look great in PA. After the first row it should all go smoother. Just remember to keep enough sashing for the top and bottom of the quilt to sew on when you get it back!!!

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 4907 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
ok I should be ready to mail tomorrow. will be working on last block then sashing, I'm off to my room.
Sorry for being a day late. It's hard to get into my room when DGS is sick and I have him for 6 days. He is better now and his mom gets off at 6, so I cant wait to get in the room and sew.

SUE B

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
KBlue, I did the same as you! Laid out my blocks and how to twine the thread through them, then made a 72" row. In other words, I made two extra blocks I didn't need to. But luckily I was able to match up the winding thread with only four blocks and sent it off today.

Posts: 5666 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
McPatches, so sorry you experienced this too. Glad you were able to fix it.

I was not able to get to the post office today, but will mail mine out in the morning. Sorry for the delay.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KBlue:
I got out graph paper, taped it together and graphed a "story" into my blocks with the thread weaving around.

Can I just say "WOW". Mine is a pretty simple basic thing.

Mine will mail tomorrow. Went to the post office, went to check out, and the checkbook debit card said no. All is not lost! I had enough change in the change jar at home, but the post office was closed so I have to go back tomorrow morning.

Anyway, my mailing is a day late. sorry.

Posts: 521 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm only slightly reassured reading others had some issues...I feel like I made 72", as I sit here at work picking out the paper off my main block...and shedding a lot of tears, mine will be mailed today. I could have done a complete top with all the un-sewing I've done..the kicker was yesterday when I got to the point of cutting the main fabric, and I cut 1/4" too small Frown and had to adjust and make different blocks...the other 4 rows I know exactly what I'm doing, so I say...this has been a challenge for me and I sure I hope I got it right!!!!!!!!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
Aliquilt - so sorry you had so many frustrations. Dry up your tears and take a break. Maybe a nice cup of tea. As challenging as this row was, think how beautiful they will be hanging all together. A testimony of friendships formed and woven together on this board.

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...Kblue that is one of the sweetest things I have ever heard .... I'm glad i got to be on the reading end of that. Thank you ...

Wounded Warrior Project

posted Hide Post
Mine has been mailed. Today. one day late.

Posts: 521 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
Mine is in the mail heading to Pandibear.

posted Hide Post
KB, what a nice way to put it Smile I did end up pleased with the finished row, tho I am asking what that fabric is, if I can find it, I'll replace an area after the grand debut at the retreat! Oh, and it went out priority today.

posted Hide Post
Can't wait till I get one in the mail to start on! Excitedly waiting, commonly referred to as stalking the postman!

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
....Ilove my4kids - Hi Sandra ... I'm sort of doing the same thing Smile I'm so excited for mine to come ...

Wounded Warrior Project

posted Hide Post
Nice job with the mailings, and keeping everyone informed!

Jane_Kiwi

Posts: 1791 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
.... OH MY GOODNESS ... the strip came today from aliquilt ...

Wounded Warrior Project

posted Hide Post
City Sandie! I'm SO JEALOUS!!! I'll bet it's beautiful!

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
... Beautiful is an understatement ..

Wounded Warrior Project

posted Hide Post
Thank you Smile my coworkers are saying, see we told ya it was ok.

posted Hide Post
Smile I know there were a few hitches along the way with extra rows or extra long rows lol but now that they are coming in, it sounds like you all outdid yourselves Smile Can't wait to see these!

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
QUESTION:
Can we use leftover "ribbon" fabric in the other rows?

And - how big are these rows supposed to be?

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see what everyone started with and then see what the team members added.

I've got row 2 done on one in our group. Wasn't too hard on that one to figure out what to do. Can imagine as the rows get added, it's going to be harder and harder to determine what to add.

Just sitting on that row now til after the holidays to see when I can mail on.

Posts: 7981 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
Elainetoo you sit on that one for awhile so I can get yours done. LOL Work on something else.

SUE B

Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
I'm not totally happy with the way my row turned out. But then other than making it hard for the others, it is mine and not like I messed up someone else's. I can always work on it more when I get it back.....

my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!

Posts: 4558 | Location: maybe Texas someday | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muggomuggo:
I'm not totally happy with the way my row turned out. But then other than making it hard for the others, it is mine and not like I messed up someone else's. I can always work on it more when I get it back.....

"my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!"

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...........DITTO .......................

Wounded Warrior Project

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gonesewin:
QUESTION:
Can we use leftover "ribbon" fabric in the other rows?

And - how big are these rows supposed to be?

If you want to use a bit of the left overs in another row, i think thats fine.

Row 2 The next quilter will add her row ABOVE the row with the "ribbon". It may be in any method, style or technique she desires following the theme of " Friendship is the thread that ties hearts together". The row must measure 12 1/2" by 48 1/2" unfinished.

One person already received something that was not quite right, but worked that out. If anyone else has issues feel free to call me or PM me Smile

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sue B:
Elainetoo you sit on that one for awhile so I can get yours done. LOL Work on something else.

Where's the LIKE button? Smile

Posts: 7981 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone did NOT get their row, please PM me today or call me. I will leave my cell phone volume on. Bear in mind I am at work so may not be able to check PMs frequently.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas,

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
I have received my row from Lindaj52. Now that Christmas is over I can devote some time to working on her second row. Not sure what I will do yet. So many possibilities!

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I have McPatches' row finished and ready to mail Smile

posted Hide Post
Please welcome Motqltr to the row robin group! Smile She will be joining group five.

If anyone has spare ribbon fabric that you can mail to her please let me know as soon as possible. Ideally someone who can mail it either tomorrow or Monday so she can get started Smile

Jane_Kiwi

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome, so excited, but first I need to wait for the ribbon fabric. I wholeheartedly appreciate those who are sharing extra ribbon fabric.
I'm dedicating tomorrow to finishing 2 quilt backs, making the mugrug and very belated 2012 siggy blocks. This should allow me the "free" time to work on the RR

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3533 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gemsq
posted Hide Post
**I am much more aware of the 12 inch blocks now, or other options for the 12 1/2 inch space.***City/Sandie, so sorry to see that you are not going to be able to attend the COF retreat. If anything changes, maybe you can get back on the list. It was fun being part of your class at Branson. We had a lively and cheerful class; tho I must say, my project still needs completion! Oh oh.

Posts: 730 | Location: illinois | Registered: Sep 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I rec'd the row robin fabric from Lori and TeaSea and the challenge fab from Lori.
Thank you very much.

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3533 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great! if you have any other questions before you start, please feel free to ask. I am going to start a new PM for Row Robin Group 5, and will include you in it.

Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
wow back on page 3.
well this is just an update.
I need to get into the sewing room to finish the second row of the COF RR and the "Intial it" mugrug. but I'm just not up to it today. I had the flu for 3 weeks, all last week was feeling much better, got most of the housewook done. But today just no get up and go, I think it got up and went. hopefully I will feel better tomorrow.

SUE B