Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Retreat Row Robins - PA 2013 active topic :)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retreat Row Robins - PA 2013 active topic :) Sign In/Join 
Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
The rows have been staring at me and I think I have finally picked material to play with them. Now I need to decide on a pattern for the row. I'm getting there...

Posts: 704 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I've finished my row now I just need to attach it to the rest of the quilt.

One of the perks of hosting the retreat is I will get to see all of the quilts as they come in!!! I am really looking forward to that!

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4914 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm doing a 4th row. Top or bottom of quilt or does it matter?

Posts: 5674 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I hope it doesn't Smile I put mine where I thought it looked best. The last person just has to do the opposite so the ribbon stays in the middle. Right Jane?

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

Posts: 4914 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Quote from instruction sheet:

Row 4 & 5) Row 4 will be added to the TOP of the quilt using any method, technique or style they choose in keeping with the first 3 rows. And row 5 will be added to the BOTTOM of the quilt. After making and attaching the row, add the sashing to the top (or the bottom of your row). These rows must measure 12 1/2" unfinished by 48 1/2" unfinished.

We seem to still have 2 strips of sashing in the envelopes and if I read these directions right...they're to go on after completing each of the next two rows. Am I correct or not understanding properly?

Posts: 9462 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
I have no sashing strips left to attach!

Posts: 5674 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
According to the sheet under the subject: Middle Row we were supposed to send 2 pieces of sashing fabric 3 1/2" X 48 1/2 along with this row to be used on the last 2 rows. Apparently some didn't send it or it got used as extra fabric. I didn't mean to start a bruhaha but all I did was ask if we were supposed to stick one one after row 4 when I guess you can only do it if you have it!!

Posts: 9462 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
sashing goes between rows 1,2 and 1,3 and 2,4 and 3,5 the last 2 sashing go on when we get them back.
At lease that was my understanding.

SUE B

The smallest Cross in the corner is the one you put in the room.

I hope all our daily ups and downs are with needle and thread.

COF 2007 http://www2.snapfish.com/snapf...BRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Posts: 1461 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...Auntie Reba, I rmember when we discussed this, we thought we had it figured out because i might have done soemthing wrong .... I will be watchng for answers too ..

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 8995 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't remember how many sashing strips I sent along, that was soooo long ago. I'm sure I'll be happy with mine no matter how it looks!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
I think I sent enough sashing but if the last two our missing I will add them on when I get it back. I can't wait to see my finished quilt.

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
I can see where the confusion comes from.. Sure we probably all did it right - with no sashings after rows 4 and 5... hopefully Jane will be here soon to clarify.. cause we've gone too far now!!

In the 2nd para last sentence it says. "Sew a 3 1/2 (3" finished) sash on ......... and send 2 pieces of sashing fabric...... to be used on the last 2 rows.
Pretty sure that that sentence should say "before the last 2 rows" or "after row 2 and 3"

Then the info on Row 4&5 the lst sentence.."After making and ....... add the sashing..." Pretty sure that that sentence should be on Row 2 and 3 instructions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 7989 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Here's what I have gathered...The sashing would go on the bottom of 4 and the top of 5 correct? I'm reallllly glad I asked now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Auntie Reba,

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Oh, Oh... I know our group didn't do it the way Auntie Reba showed..! We're probably in trouble. Whew! Thanks Jane for the clarification. Glad we don't have to redo anything.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 7989 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sashing rows is like sashing blocks. It goes between the rows. It does not go outside the rows, that would be for a border. I don't have a drawing right now or a photo, because I am currently at work til 8pm eastern. But they will be exactly the same as all the other row robins from previous years. If anyone else has a picture from a prior year please post it.

jane

Posts: 1797 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Took me forever to find these and I don't know where the rest are. From NC

Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
You just had to use that picture, didn't you? I did love those round robins though. Here is saved sinner's row robin from last fall.

Posts: 704 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
....hahahaha who would of guessed! I remember that and knew who it belonged to from the start! I't a nice commentary about a really nice person ...

Wounded Warrior Project

Posts: 8995 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post

Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
Here's Toryam's from last year that shows the sashings. Pretty isn't it?

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Bumping up and those are so pretty!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Auntie Reba,

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I'm mailing tomorrow to Ilovemy4kids -- this is aka Teddy's and was late arriving to me.
Still waiting for the next one.
This is so much fun

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3541 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
mailed today; I have conf # and sent that to Ilovemy4kids
Still waiting for the next one

~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3541 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Row 4 mailed out today to next on the list. I'll post the conf# on the PM thread.

Only one more row to go for me, and that should be awhile. So.. maybe I can work on the fabric project.

Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
Elainetoo the package arrived today.

SUE B

Posts: 1461 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got Row 4 on Thursday. I will try to get it out soon.

Posts: 523 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have 4th quilt, row 4 to City/Sandi mailed Monday. I received the 5th, City/Sandi's quilt yesterday...you're gonna love it!! and, I have no idea what to do. Fortunately I can admire it for a few days and hope it speaks to me Smile

Posts: 828 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
... if those that have come to me are any example - they are all amazing! It's been fun looking and the section sent and deciding how to ADD to it's beauty ... I have asked Dianne - Fleur55 to bring mine home from PA, I hope she sends a pic first though - I'm so excited to see it!

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I am REALLY looking forward to receiving these! I think I will have a private viewing once I get them all Wink

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I feel like I'm not holding up my end of the work. I made my center, added 3rd row to Tx-Wildflower, haven't rec'd anything since then.
Am I caught up or behind?

Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
I need to know if there are any special instruction for Headielamar's RR I am ready to sew my row and I started thinking (I need to check and make sure there are not any specials instruction for this one)

SUE B

Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
molqultr - I hope one hasn't gone missing. I just added the 4th row on and mailing date for that one was 4/12.

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
Mine will go out to Headielamar - Monday or Tuesday. Almost done with all the rows ... and ready to go to retreat... Time flies.

Char

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I have started my last row and am close to 1/4 done. Ha. Am anxious to start on challenge project..we'll see if I get all accomplished as I had also started hand-outs for the retreat goers but I think time and an unforeseen vacation may interrupt my forward progress. Ah oh well.

Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
all the way back on page 4.

working on last row. yall have to take lots of pictures and post them. these are going to be AWESOME. I wish I were going, but can't make it this year, does anyone know where is next years?

SUE B

Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
Also working on my last row. Can't wait to see the final results at retreat. very soon now.

Picture of gemsq
posted Hide Post
***I'm happy to say my RR is at the PO this AM. So, it should be arriving in a couple of days. It seems so long ago that I made my first row, hard to imagine what it might look like now. Thanks.***

Posts: 731 | Location: illinois | Registered: Sep 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure looking forward to seeing all of the pix of these row by rows...

Posts: 3408 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I received the first finished top while I was away on vacation. It is beautiful and I can not wait to get more!!!

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
And I have yours to add my row Lori. Think I'll keep it and bring it to the retreat with me. After all, the rest of us have to wait to see our, shouldn't you? Who votes that I keep it?

Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
I believe you are right McPatch. Fair is fair Smile

Posts: 979 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
whoa! I do not see how that is fair. (where's the foot stamping icon???)

Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
sounds fair to me!

posted Hide Post
voting YES for McP to hold on to Lori's!

Posts: 3408 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt - you have to keep it and bring it so she has a surprise reveal along with the rest of us. I just figured that's the way it was supposed to work. Glad you can't be intimidated!

Char

posted Hide Post
Voting YES to keep Lori's secret to! ;P

Posts: 523 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just realized I added row 4 to the Bottom of a quilt.....oops....already mailed...Oh well, life goes on.... sorry!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Finally had time to start the last row.. in between staining and painting woodwork for the bath renovation.. Really want to get it done this week and mailed early next week - that will check one more item off the huge list.

Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
Sorry Lori My vote is for McPatch.

I am trying to get the last row finished before my DGS is out of school, his last day is the 10th.

SUE B