Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ♥ Old Fashioned Butterfly Block Swap ♥ PHOTOS & TRACKING #'s POSTED!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

♥ Old Fashioned Butterfly Block Swap ♥ PHOTOS & TRACKING #'s POSTED! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted
We are making a version of the old fashioned butterfly block using the blanket stitch method!

Rules:

1. Everyone uses the same pattern from www.quilterscache.com

http://www.quilterscache.com/O...dButterflyBlock.html

We will NOT be piecing the pattern but using fusible and blanket stitching these. See the tutorial located through this link at the old thread... http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...4011632/m/9283920767

2. Everyone will use a light tan print for their background square. Cut this background at 12 1/2 inches square ..

3. As the photo shows there are 3 fabrics used in creating the butterfly on the background square. Please use 3 coordinating fabrics of your choice. They must be good quality fabric. (thin and cheap fabric will get your blocks returned to you unswapped)

4. Create your pattern pieces from the tutorial shown at this link.. http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...4011632/m/9283920767 If you have trouble with this let me know and I will help you.

5. Using a lightweight fusible (nothing heavy!) you will apply the fusible to the backside of your fabrics.

6. Once your pieces are cut from this arrange them in the middle of the 12 1/2 inch background square and iron them to the square.

7. Using either hand or machine blanket stitch, stitch your butterflies around each pattern piece that makes up the butterfly (as shown in the photo) We will ALL be using BLACK thread to do our blanket stitching to stay true to the old timey looking blocks.

8. NO zigzagging allowed. (sorry)

9. Do NOT trim your block down from the 12 1/2 inches. We will all have the choice of how large we want our blocks once they are swapped and sent back to each swapper. This way we can all size them down ourselves and they are all the same exact size when we go to create our quilt tops with the blocks.

10. You will send the same amount of postage with your blocks that it takes to mail them to me PLUS an additonal $2.00 to cover delivery confirmation and difference in postage if there were to be any. You can send this postage money in the form of cash or money order. Or you can send it to me via Paypal and include an extra 50 cents to cover the Paypal fee. ANY change WILL be sent back to you with your new blocks, if there is any left over.

We will all be making 12 blocks to swap. Only one set per person to make sorting easier and to ensure everyone gets back one from each person.

Your blocks do not have to all be the same fabrics. You can make each block different than the next if you wish.

These blocks will be due TO ME by May 15th so you would need to mail your blocks to me by May 10th.

Participants:

quiltaholic
headielamar
lindaj52
iquiltalot
coreysmom
gremgramma
Coco Cathy
angelinamor
kay-lin
KGinCA
Kentucky Sunshine
pvillelou

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25645 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
ROLL CALL to be sure everyone has read about the tutorial that shows how to create your butterfly blocks.

Participants:

quiltaholic
headielamar
lindaj52
iquiltalot
coreysmom
gremgramma
Coco Cathy
angelinamor
kay-lin
KGinCA
Kentucky Sunshine
pvillelou[/quote]

Posts: 25645 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
yes Smile have read, still need to make a test block Smile

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7022 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
I've read through the tutorial again, saved it in my favorites so I can find it again, and printed off the pattern. Thinkin' "Spring!"

Posts: 4369 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I did my reading...would someone please tell me what brand of fusible to use - I have never purchased this stuff. Thanks a bunch!

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7384 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Yes I have read the tutorial. Your directions were so clear that it was easy to make a sample block. As I was straightening my sewing room yesterday, I came across a couple of FQs I had forgotten about that should be great for the butterflies.

Posts: 6472 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KG in CA:
I did my reading...would someone please tell me what brand of fusible to use - I have never purchased this stuff. Thanks a bunch!

KG to answer your question, it is really your own preference...as to what you like the best. I like "Heat n Bond Feather Lite" or "Heat n Bond Sewable Heat 'n Bond" but sometimes it is hard for me to find here in Australia so I have to use "Lite Steam a Seam 2" or what they call "Vilene" or "Visoflex" here in Australia, hope this helps Smile

ETA: As long as it is a lightweight double side fusible, any brand should work. If you are going to a quilt shop, you should be able to get guidance on brands and what they have to offer...some are better than others.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kentucky_Sunshine,

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7022 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for helping with that info Trish... Smile

Thanks to everyone who has done roll call so far... Lets have 100% participation. Smile

posted Hide Post
I have read the instr. Andm ready to go just need to
Set some time and get them done.
Tami

Posts: 117 | Registered: Sep 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I have read the tutorial. I won't be starting on these for a couple of weeks.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
ROLL CALL to be sure everyone has read about the tutorial that shows how to create your butterfly blocks.

Participants:

quiltaholic
headielamar Smile
lindaj52
iquiltalot
coreysmom Smile
gremgramma
Coco Cathy Smile
angelinamor
kay-lin Smile
KGinCA Smile
Kentucky Sunshine Smile
pvillelou Smile

Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
I have read it.

Posts: 2943 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Thank you KS for the comments on the fusibles.

Has anyone done their first block with machine stitching? In what order did you do your stitching that seemed to work for where the stitching would overlap? Hope that question makes sense... Thanks!

Posts: 7384 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of angelinamor
posted Hide Post
Q, I read the instructions. And, I have my fabrics picked out!

Posts: 602 | Location: colorado | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
quote:
In what order did you do your stitching that seemed to work for where the stitching would overlap?

KG, as much as possible, start at a place that looks a little like a y with a line extending out from another line. At least that seemed to work best for me on the sample I did.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
KG... I hope this photo helps you see how I stitch mine... I usually start somewhere to where I can go as long as possible without stopping.

You can stitch one whole side without stopping... Take a look at the photo and follow the numbered arrows.

The short lines at the neck and bottom will be stitched separately.

Participants:

quiltaholic Smile
headielamar Smile
lindaj52 Smile
iquiltalot Smile
coreysmom Smile
gremgramma
Coco Cathy Smile
angelinamor Smile
kay-lin Smile
KGinCA Smile
Kentucky Sunshine Smile
pvillelou Smile

Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Q, that helps a lot.

Posts: 4369 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Q's picture is worth a thousand of my words! That is what I was trying to say.

Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
Okay, so I'm behind in my reading. (I'm spending the morning catching up.) I did see the tutorial and have printed off the pattern. I've been going through my fabrics and have pulled a pretty variety of colors and prints. Still need a trip to the fabric store for the background, and then I'll be on my way.

LindaJ52

Posts: 2387 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Well... my drawing leaves a lot to be desired in Paint but I was hoping you could see what I was trying to relay... Smile

Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Thanks pvillelou and Quiltaholic! I can use all of the help I can get.

posted Hide Post
I have read through it and will probably start my blocks in about 2 weeks or so. Working on a row robin right now.

Posts: 298 | Location: usa | Registered: Sep 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
We lack one being 100% for the first Roll Call! Thank you ladies. I hope we can all communicate at least once a week or every 10 days so we know you are still on board... I will have a roll call at least once a month.

Please communicate throughout the swap. Smile

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Anyone started on their blocks?

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I've been pulling some fabrics to use for my butterflies. Does that count as being started?

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Sure does. Smile

Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I chose 3 fabrics from stash, cut out each butterfly section from every fabric, put them together in different arrangements, and then asked the ladies at work to vote for their favorite combination...so their choice what I am going with. Big Grin

Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
I've got several fabrics pulled and I'm hopefully going to start cutting this week. These blocks are in my project line (worked on by date due), but I've been getting caught up with projects so I might start sewing these sooner than I had planned. I plan on doing the blanket stitch in black by hand. Since I'm pretty good at that stitch, it shouldn't take me too long to get 12 blocks done (I hope).

LindaJ52

Posts: 2387 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Awesome..

I wanted to put this back out there so none of us forget...

We all are to use BLACK thread for our stitching. Please and thank you. Smile

Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
Got the black thread. I pulled some fabrics, then dropped by the LQS to get some fusible, and saw some new fabrics. You know how that goes. Big Grin

I'm hoping to draw the patterns on the fusible this weekend. And maybe I'll go wild, and clean off the cutting board. Ready for action.

posted Hide Post
I have a busy weekend ahead of me...my little man has his birthday party scheduled...but hopefully I'll get started next week Smile

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
It has been a week with no chatter... Come on ladies.. let's visit while we work on our butterflies. Smile

posted Hide Post
I have all my blocks fused but havent started stitching yet. I will try to get to that part soon.
Tami

Posts: 117 | Registered: Sep 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of angelinamor
posted Hide Post
I have half of my blocks fused down and 3 of them stitched. I don't like the tracing and cutting out parts :-( So, I only did half so that I could get to the fun part - fusing and sewing!! LOL

Posts: 602 | Location: colorado | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
DH and I will be heading to KY this afternoon to visit DS. I plan a stop at Hancock's in Paducah for some quilt backing and will get some fusible there too. Hopefully, I'll be able to start on the butterflies in a week or two.

Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
I'm lurking in the background--would have loved to participate in this swap, but had too many other commitments.

Are you going to share any sneak peeks?

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
The ladies can share photos of their work as they go if they would like to.

Angelinamor... Care to start us off with one of your finished beauties?

Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
I finally got printer ink, so just printed off my pattern.

Posts: 2943 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I will have photos to share after Wednesday of this week. Marie and Mildred are coming for a sew in and I hope to have a few of these prepared so I can blanket stitch them while we sew together.

posted Hide Post
Have done nothing yet but soon.

Posts: 298 | Location: usa | Registered: Sep 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello stitchers...following along, waiting for beautiful butterfly eyecandy...Smile

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
Okay, pincushions are ready for the mail and I have time before my next Row Robin row has to go, so I'm going to start cutting and fusing my butterflies this week. Looking forward to getting my 12 blocks 'cause I think that I'm going to make a bed runner out of them. It should be around 24 x 72, if I do it right. Smile

LindaJ52

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
quote:
You will send the same amount of postage with your blocks that it takes to mail them to me PLUS an additonal $2.00 to cover delivery confirmation and difference in postage if there were to be any. You can send this postage money in the form of cash or money order.

I am assuming that I should send a SASE - am I right or do you just want me to send postage money? I want to be a good swapper and follow the rules but wasn't sure about this.

My butterflies are ready to fly to you!!!

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
pvillelou... You can send a SASE if you want to but just be sure it isnt metered mail..

Stamps in the same amount of postage as it takes to mail to me plus the extra 2.00.

or the amount it takes to mail to me in cash plus the additional 2.00

If you are due any change, it will come back to you with your new blocks.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Here's what mine look like.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 1534 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
That IS really pretty! yummy blues!

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Well, shucks. I can't mail yet because I am totally out of envelopes. There's only one store in my hometown that sells them and they only have the small ones. So I'll have to wait until later in the week and go someplace else.

posted Hide Post
Mary Lou, love your butterfly! Very cute!

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary Lou,love your butterfly block...I had a FQ of the wing fabric and loved it...someone had it in the ugly FQ bingo @ Branson...I made a mini with it...and used it to represent part of the Great Barrier reef...