Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Pin Cushion PICS ~ CLOSED ... swapping's up!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pin Cushion PICS ~ CLOSED ... swapping's up! Sign In/Join 
posted Hide Post
I usually put crushed walnuts in my pincushions, do I have to worry about anyone with nut allergies?

Posts: 1077 | Registered: Jan 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Oh my! I never thought about nut allergies. I bought walnut shells because that was suggested and mine are all doneFrown

Posts: 7029 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
no nut allergies here, but it is a thought...I normlly use polyfill mainly because of shipping international.

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7023 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the nut allergies would be for ingesting them ... never heard of anyone allergic to touching the shells ... and in the pin cushions, you wouldn't touch anything anyway Big Grin

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 7980 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree they won't be touched and are all packed away...but Caleb has several friends who can't even be in the room with a nut or egg product...if it touches their skin or they inhale it...it could be very dangerous for them Frown

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7023 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
made this lil' fella today...he needs a trim and tuck here and there...I might try one more...it's supposed to be a hedgehog...Caleb says he's a fat mouse Razz

posted Hide Post
I don't care what you call him ... HE'S CUTE! Big Grin

Posts: 7980 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ELY/SYSSY
posted Hide Post
HI LADIES
I WILL STAR MY WHEN I COME BACK FROM INDIA AND BANGLADISH I AM LIVING TOMORROW MORNING.
I WILL SEE WHAT I FINE THERE FOR MY PINCUSHING.
SEE YOU ALL WHEN I AM BACK
LOVE ELY

Posts: 1776 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: Dec 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewlove2quilt
posted Hide Post
OH! Trish, that hedgehog is adorable!! Big Grin

OK! After being on the fence for so long....I think I'm "IN' & I know what I want to make....just finding the supplies..??..not sure if I can make 10 but will try!

At the last COF reterat in Branson, Ms Shawkl was giving out baggies of fine 'emory' that she uses in her pin cushions. I also have fine masonary sand that I use when I make the pin cushion on my thread catchers...will us 1 or the other in the ones I make for this swap.

https://www.etsy.com/people/sewlove2quilt2

Take time for kindness & for giving. Take time for friends & happy living!

Posts: 6784 | Registered: Feb 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Safe travels Ely...

LOL,I think if I find bigger eyes for the hedie he won't look so much like a beady eyed mouse,LOL

I have severl more patterns to try out, so I'll be sending in an assortment as always.

I wonder how mixing a bit of emery with the sand would be Lynne? It'd sure stretch out the use of the emery for sure, it's hard to get here, and expensive because I have to have it shipped from the US...

Picture of TerryOH
posted Hide Post
Would it be cheaper to have your relatives buy it and ship to you? Or maybe a board membercould?

TerryOH

Posts: 2372 | Location: OH | Registered: Nov 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often do that Terry, and sometimes even wait until i have a huge order for fabrics etc...as some companies offer free shipping if the purchase order is over 250-300 dollars. My family and board members here have been so helpful and supporitive of my hobby Smile

I also try to bring home as much as I can when I come for a visit...lol...this year I'm hoping to get lots of items made from stash, as it has grown...lol...

posted Hide Post
Hey Roo ~ I know that I can send your pc's back in a priority mail box ... I think a flat rate? Anyway, if there's something I can pick up for you and mail back with your pc's, you know just say the word Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Hey ... WELCOME to Sewlove2quilt ... Glad you got off that fence ... sometimes they are the most uncomfortable Big Grin

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Trish!! he is adorable!!!!

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25661 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Q. he's still sitting over there on my shelf looking at me with those itty bitty seed bead eyes...need to find some larger ones for him Razz

just cut out 3 more patterns for 3 different pincushions Razz will see how easy they go together later Smile

posted Hide Post
Some GREAT ideas and inspirations coming across this thread! Here's a little more to spur anyone on who wants to join!

posted Hide Post
WOO HOO! We're up to 29 swappers! Anyone care to join the fun and make it 30 ??? Big Grin

Picture of Shauna's crafty quilter
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd help out and bring this back to the top!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars!!"

Posts: 3437 | Location: hopefully at my sewing machine | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hiya Shauana Smile and WOW chciky that's a lot of swappers! would I sound greedy if I said I wanted a pincushion from each of you? LOL...a gal can wish can't she Wink Razz

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I agree, KSunshine. I'm working on my third set of pincushions for future swaps. I just discovered that the magazine Quilts and More has the cutest pincushion pattern every month. I just can't resist making them.

Picture of Shauna's crafty quilter
posted Hide Post
Hiya Kentucky!! I'm only making 10 this year! I have so many from past years and love them all. But 10 is enough for me! LOL!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars!!"

Posts: 3437 | Location: hopefully at my sewing machine | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew&Sew
posted Hide Post
Hi all! I think I just sent a PM to the host. Not sure but I am sure I want to join the swap! Looks like such fun. I am also participating in another swap and ran across this one. I love to collect pin cushions so this is perfect for me! How can I find out if I am on the list? THANKS!!

Lindy in NC

Posts: 29 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Lindy! Smile SEW GLAD you're joining in the fun Smile I replied to your PM ... so will add you to the list Big Grin

Anyone else ready? Big Grin

Picture of Sew&Sew
posted Hide Post
Thank you! VERY excited! I'm off today so I'm going to get started.

Lindy in NC

Posts: 29 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Even after a liberal hare cut this dust bunny is much too big for a pincushion. Think I'll adjust the pattern somewhat and do a sphere instead. Can't see the hands anyway and the feet don't help it stand up.

posted Hide Post
Evelyn, that dust bunny literally just made me LOL...very unique... and cute in an odd sort of way Smile love it! I so wish we could have a mini retreat where all we did was eat and make pincushions and enjoy each others company...what a hoot that would be!

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
"What a hoot that would be!" reminded me of the owls I made last Halloween. These would be fun to use in a swap too. What fun we'd have! These pincushions are so small we could get a bunch made at a retreat!

posted Hide Post
Evelyn, you are so creative! I've actually got several owls cut out for this swap, along with a few dolls, and little handbags, just waiting to find time to sew them...of course I could/should be doing that now...lol

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kentucky_Sunshine:
I so wish we could have a mini retreat where all we did was eat and make pincushions and enjoy each others company...what a hoot that would be!

Hey RooBilly ... you KNOW where to find me ... you come on back, and we'll plan that retreat Smile It would be FUN FUN FUN ! Big Grin

CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE! Big Grin LOVE the pin cushions, Evelyn Big Grin You ARE talented! Wave

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I cleaned my entire sewing room the last two days..because I couldn't find the doll BEADS that you use for weight in pincushions, etc. HA They were in my BEDROOM! But now I know where everything is!

Posts: 9461 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
Got 10 Geese done and sewing labels on now..........want me to put the chicken in too. only if she stay with the the leader of the swap lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: emb115724,

" Prayer is for the soul what nourishments is for the body."

Posts: 866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
After finishing the wild pincushion I got out the basket of goodies I'd won at guild. Surprised to find a quilt pattern called "Dustbunny Quilt" by Becky Jackson. It spoke to me and after grabbing the leftover yarn from the trash can I made this wallhanging last night. It's going in my entry hall. Now I need to make more of the dustbunnies because there's never just one. In the sashing is written "no cleaning allowed" and "this is a dustbunny sanctuary".

Picture of Sew&Sew
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EvelynB:
"What a hoot that would be!" reminded me of the owls I made last Halloween. These would be fun to use in a swap too. What fun we'd have! These pincushions are so small we could get a bunch made at a retreat!

Those owls are SO cute! I love the candy corn fabric.

Lindy in NC

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lindy. I've been on a small project kick for several months. Pincushions and taberunners fit the bill.

Love those birds! The chick's mighty sweet too. Our hostess will have quite a variety when these all arrive.

posted Hide Post
OOOOO my gosh, these projects are SO VERY CUTE! I can't wait to see all the fun creativity everyone is coming up with Smile

And if there's a poor chicken that got looped in with a bunch of geese ... if she can make the flight, I'll make sure she gets a good home Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Hey.... I have 4 more swappers wanting in ... from my quilt guild! They LOVED having y'all come to the quilt show during the Branson COF retreat, and want to join in the fun! Big Grin Will add their names after a good nite's sleep Smile

posted Hide Post
Awesome!!! Ya know I was thinking today...wondering where all my past pincushions were living at now...I need to take a pic of mine tomorrow as I'm sure I have several unidentified ones living with me Smile

posted Hide Post
bumpin up for the weekend ... come join the FUN! Big Grin

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I have a friend drooling over the pincushions. She's not computer savvy (her IBM uses 3 1/2" floppies so is rarely used just for typing). Can I sign her up if she's not on HGTV? She lives 3 blocks from me. She has an awesome sewing room with wonderful built-in cabinets. I need to take photos to inspire you. She's decided that she's too old to join the tech world but I have a great aunt who started on Facebook when she turned 103! Keeps the family in gossip!
Evelyn

posted Hide Post
Want to have fun this year & what better way then to start off off with a pincushion swap
Can I please join? thanks
Nancy

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lindaj52
posted Hide Post
Woo Hoo! Found an adorable pattern and have started sewing them together. There will be embellishments! Should have mine done plenty early. How soon can we send them to you, SavedSinner?

LindaJ52

Posts: 2387 | Location: Clifton, IL, USA | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EvelynB:
I have a friend drooling over the pincushions. She's not computer savvy (her IBM uses 3 1/2" floppies so is rarely used just for typing). Can I sign her up if she's not on HGTV? She lives 3 blocks from me. She has an awesome sewing room with wonderful built-in cabinets. I need to take photos to inspire you. She's decided that she's too old to join the tech world but I have a great aunt who started on Facebook when she turned 103! Keeps the family in gossip!
Evelyn

Hey Evelyn ~ PM me her contact info Smile

NANCY RABBIT ~ Please PM me your contact info as well, with your email, please Smile

GLAD we have new friends joining in the fun! Big Grin

Picture of llcp48
posted Hide Post
I think I would like to join this swap. I loved the pin cushions I got in the swap I was in...

Hugs,
Linda

Posts: 531 | Registered: Aug 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
LOL Evelyn I love the dust bunnies! Smile

I got my test one finished as well as a second one. I'm happy with how they turned out~ now to get busy making a few more. Wink

I found the tutorial here~ sewing tool caddy

Posts: 10448 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Oh you overachiever you! Those are incredible.

Posts: 9461 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
LOL not so much overachiever as wanting to do something different. Wink Thanks!

Posts: 10448 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh Sandie, I just love those! I saw similar ones on Pintrest, and considered them briefly...but thought about the shipping from here and ditched that thought quickly...great job,they are awesome!

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
How awesome! Love the band around the edge for scissors or seam ripper. Beautiful job!

posted Hide Post
I've been working on some pretties...hope to post pics soon Smile