Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Show us your French Rose quilts! A challenge to make this darling quilt now offered!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Show us your French Rose quilts! A challenge to make this darling quilt now offered! Sign In/Join 
posted
I have stumbled across pix of French Rose applique quilts several times and am intrigued! Please do post pix if you have any.Smile

THE CHALLENGE:

Okay stitch friends...no patterns to buy, no fabbies to buy...just time. Go on over to Shawkl's link https://drive.google.com/file/...Mmc/edit?usp=sharing
and see the pattern. Then do a quick internet search for French Rose Applique quilts and then come back here and say you are in!

We will all make our version of this beautiful quilt, using your own fabbies and bring the pictures here for a wonderful show. The show will be here on our HGTV site. I will post a thread for you all to post your pix. Be watching...but not until the Sunday before Thanksgiving to give us all time to get this darling quilt all finished up.

Come on quilt friends...this is a relatively easy one and totally a stash buster.

Thank you Shawkl for the wonderful hand drafted pattern.

https://drive.google.com/file/...Mmc/edit?usp=sharing

Now who is in?

alexemmaroseSmile
SmileshawklSmile
SmileAidanSmile
quiltmakerSmile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: alexemmarose,

Posts: 3492 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
I just googled that to see what they looked like. I really pretty pattern. Wish I did have one.

Mary

Posts: 4017 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Colleen...you, Nickilee, and Thearica need to stop inticing me with new quilt ideas to make! My list is so long now, they will never get done.

(But, if you seriously want to do this quilt...my muse is interested. She drafted out her own pattern tonight...and uploaded the pdf if you want it...here's the link)

The roses print on regular paper size; and could fit a 9", 10", 12", or even 14" block just by moving the leaves around some.

https://drive.google.com/file/...Mmc/edit?usp=sharing

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shawkl,

Posts: 4640 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Made a couch throw using these roses. Felt so soft and comfy but it stopped up my washing machine!

Posts: 7414 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Evelyn! Oh dear! Wonder if one were to wash and dry in one of those lingerie bags???

Posts: 3492 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
Such a pretty feminine quilt design!

I did find one blogger who used fusible interfacing and decorative stitches around the edges. Still pretty and maybe an alternative for those who don't care for the unraveling edges.

Posts: 3116 | Location: kentucky | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of the raw edge style of quilts, in any form. I'm gonna do this...and use Elenor Burns method of applique this time. I have a roll of thin interfacing, which will be layered with the rose petal...then snipped in the center, and turned right side out...Instant (almost) finished edges...which I'll machine stitch down about 1/4 inch from the edge. That will still give that (dimensional look) without all those threads in my washer/dryer.

Searching through my stash for just the right fabrics...

Anyone else want to play along?

Posts: 4640 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shawkl, sounds like a good method. I may try it, however, I am a fan of frayed edges on some things and I may try piecing with raw edges and quilting the roses on individual muslin pieces. I hope to space out my washing and drying of individual roses to ease the burden on my washer and dryer. I will then trim the muslin around and then simply hand applique the roses to the background and quilt the whole quilt as you normally would. We will see...

Picture of EBGQ
posted Hide Post
Kathy, I have tried the Eleanor Burns method of turning inside out but it never did look right, the edges are too puffy due to the seam. I never thought of machine stitching the pieces down, maybe that would overcome the thickness

Marlene

Posts: 2157 | Registered: Sep 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought she used an interfacing (nonwoven), snipped to turn right side out then slipped in a thin batting thru the snipped opening. Then she would applique down. She might have used a fusible interfacing at times.

Using the batting would make for bulky seams.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6307 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Did I say fusible? I didn't mean to...it is a thin but non-fusible...and I'm not putting any batting in the middle. Eleanor has actually got several ways of doing things...but I like this method for simple shapes like these.

Decided to do a baby quilt for my newly born little great niece because I have some lace to put in the sashing and on the borders.

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Aidan and I accepted the challenge Colleen...and she had fun helping me turn the pieces, press them, and did about a quarter of the sewing. She was happily stitching along until she ran out of bobbin thread, and found she had sewn about eight leaves without thread. Been there, done that!

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Here's the top. Needs fleece or flannel on the back...and some lace for the border.

Thanks for the idea and the challenge.

Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
That top is really cute I like the soft colors which is so unlike me LOL

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 762 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG!!! Shawkl!!! You are amazing!!! Your quilt top is darling!!! And so is your granddaughter!! How old is she now? And sewing so well!

posted Hide Post
Well, thanks to your post, I am inspired to make a quilt with this method. I have some "shabby" fabrics that will do well for this. It will be for me. It looks like a pretty girlie quilt. I am concerned about the frayed edges, too. Don't want to clog up my washer. Will probably go to the laundromat to wash mine the first time.

Quiltmaker

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Mar 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeaaaa! quiltmaker!! Looking forward to seeing your quilt!

I have several other obligations at this time so won't be starting on my quilt for a while but do enjoy seeing all of yours!

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Hi Colleen...believe it or not...Aidan is ten already! Seems like yesterday when I was bathing her in the kitchen sink and bottle feeding!

Thanks again for the inspiration to do this quilt. I love the shabbyliciousness of it! My sister will adore it too. When I get it layered, quilted, and the lace added I'll post another photo. Perhaps by this next weekend?

Hugs to all...stay warm!

Picture of ekbuckeye
posted Hide Post
Kathy, that is so girly and I can't wait to see it finished. If I wasn't in the first third of making 24 needle turned blocks, I'd try this one. Maybe a good fall project for me!

Ellen

"Wishing you sunshine and blessings"

Posts: 2292 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: May 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BonnieN
posted Hide Post
Loving this topic! I have adored the french Roses quilts forever,have the pattern forever,, never seem to find the just right fabric,,anyway, I found this on ebay looking for something else,litle buds pattern by the same lady,babies.it is adorable
http://www.ebay.com/itm/French...-by-38-/161005274311
I haven't given up doing this, just looking for that right look for me. I never thought to do it in the same colors like this one..

Posts: 2709 | Location:  | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Here is one I did to donate in 2006. I can't tell, and can't remember if it was turned edge or shabby.

ETA - Aunt Grace fabrics

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KG in CA,

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7519 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by EBGQ:
Kathy, I have tried the Eleanor Burns method of turning inside out but it never did look right, the edges are too puffy due to the seam.

Maybe you have to clip to the seam all around the piece. That usually helps it lay flat.

Quiltmaker

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Mar 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
love these, they are so cute. and girlie.

Posts: 3049 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post