Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  If I had to sew for a living...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If I had to sew for a living... Sign In/Join 
Picture of StarrySky
posted
...I'd starve! Eek

I spent ALL day -- to the point of my legs & posterior aching from sitting -- working on a going-away gift for a friend. I won't say what it is because I might slip it in for a Project Thursday. But it should never EVER have taken all day! I think that for every seam I sewed, I un-sewed two more. Frown

I could never sew for a living, not at this rate! I don't know how people do it. They must go a lot faster than I can.

Are you the tortoise or the hare?

Posts: 5446 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't either. Admire those that can do it.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6186 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
I've had that same experience many times. Sorry for your struggles.

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
I actually have sewed for a living. In college I worked at the Burlington Coat factory making women's coats. It was a requirement for the program I was in. Poor conditions and a foreman screaming all day. Valuable lesson learned...stay in college. Then I made salesmanship samples at the Manhattan Shirt Company...nice job, low pay. Finally I supplemented my teaching income making clothes, everything from children's clothes to gowns.

Posts: 3288 | Location: NY | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
Not me either.. Even if I HAVE to finish something, I will put it off until the last possible moment. If I have to do it, I don't want to.

Posts: 3358 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawana
posted Hide Post
I would definitely starve too. I'm slow at everything I do. Even when I think I'm going in high gear it is still at turtle speed! Wink

Shawn

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best."

~ Live Well ~ Love Much ~ Laugh Often ~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srtrn/sets/

Posts: 3564 | Location: WV | Registered: Dec 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amaryllis6
posted Hide Post
I sew at my leisure, don't like deadlines so not for me.

Posts: 1358 | Location: coast of Louisiana zone 9 | Registered: Mar 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I'm a tortoise. Queen of pokey. Big Grin I've made quilts for others, but don't rush me. I still have one I've been working on for six months. Still needs a binding. Roll Eyes That won't happen until retreat is over.

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9631 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I sewed for the public while I was a stay-at-home-mom. Did fair with it.

Last dress I made for myself was 2005. I remember. It was a trial!

Posts: 16566 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I'm in awe of anyone who does it, too.

Part of my problem yesterday was that I was sewing without a pattern -- winging it, as I'm apt to do. It takes 10 times longer if you have to stop & calculate twice or thrice before you can cut & proceed. My brain ached as well as my posterior.

I don't like deadlines either. But I'll see my friend Thursday, so I had to get cracking yesterday. Deadlines feel best when they're past & you are done!

Posts: 5446 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
If I had to sew for a living, I'd be threadbare. ba=bump.

I did work for a backpack factory in college. I actually enjoyed it, but it was hard work. Last year and a half I made 17 scrubs and a Mother of the Bride dress. Due to my lack of good business sense, I pretty much ended up paying HER for the work I did. I loved the sewing and designing,hated the personal interaction.

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8433 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
My problem is that once in a very blue moon, I make something for myself. Then others happen to see it & immediately want copies for themselves, too. This is one time that I gave in & did that.

My BFF doesn't sew yet wants not only everything I make for myself, but things she thinks I can pull out of thin air. "Can you make a coupon carrier that clips onto the cart but also has room for my keys and my cell phone and can hold my shopping list upright as well as..." NO. I keep telling her that we had Home Ec together, so why can't she sew now, too?! Razz

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Thankfully I've not yet had anyone ask me to make things for them. That's good, because I'd have to say NO, thank you. The only person I did any sewing for was my mother. She was a short thing, so I had to hem a lot of stuff. I didn't like it, but I did it and don't regret it. Otherwise? No go.

I'm slow as cold molasses, too. I work as hard as I can and still can't turn out things like some other folks I know. Oh well....I'm happy. And besides, I quilt for my own enjoyment.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6234 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I watch people sew on TV & they zoom along without pinning first. I have to wonder if they'd really sew like that off of TV? Are they that good (that they don't need pins), or don't they care if things slip a little? I'd be pinning, basting, gluing, and them probably ripping out if I wasn't happy with how it looked. Sometimes I can nail a seam perfectly on the first pass, but that's because I took the time to prepare things first. This does not make for record-setting sewing! Big Grin

Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● Yes they do. I applied to a place that did company brand/logo sewing. This particular one was responsible for Ronald McDonald's tights. You know the stripes. Well they test you to see if you can have perfectly matched stripes with NO PINS. I did not pass. She did let me try one more time and the second pass was better (not perfect), but my speed was really, really slow. I learned a trick since then, so I might do better now, but I really don't want to lose my joy of sewing for a paycheck.

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9631 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh! I can sew scrubs!!! There's very little fitting involved in either the pants or the tops. Smile I made several for DS.

Posts: 16566 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
If there's a trick for sewing stripes without pins, I'd like to know. That is, if you wouldn't get in trouble with Mayor McCheese for divulging any trade secrets. Wink

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I've discovered on my Bernina that if I want to sew something W/O pins, I slip the top back a tiny bit (1/16th-ish) and by the time I get to the end of the seam, the lines have all matched up because the top of the material travels a bit. There are mechanical reasons for this, but I don't know them.

Posts: 8433 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Oh yea...the feed can be slightly different top & bottom...I think I knew that somewhere on the dusty back shelves of my brain. I try not to venture back there too often. Lotsa sticky cobwebs. {shudder}

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I worked in a sewing factory when I was 20. That is why I went to nursing school. I really could not make it sewing. It is much harder than nursing any day.

Posts: 15212 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
I would STARVE! I am the turtle with pins.

Had a friend in Texas that held various jobs including custom drapery. She said she was always afraid cutting the $125 a yard fabric and was so glad when she was done. She also did the g-strings for the local Chippendale type dancers. Made quilted pillows for a resale shop she worked for. Can't remember what else, but I know there were other jobs... Chris

Posts: 5874 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cksvett:
She also did the g-strings for the local Chippendale type dancers.

Eek Oh my! Did she have to do fittings? With pins?? Eek

posted Hide Post
Starry - I nearly spewed iced tea all over my keyboard!

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
I sew pretty quickly, but only because it's almost always last minute!

I have one friend that will come to me & say "I have a deal for you...Can you make/hem/fix/whatever for me?" Umm, yeah, I guess..."Great! I need it by Friday!" And what, exactly, is the deal for me? Especially since I'm working everyday between now & then Roll Eyes I have wised up over the years & am charging her much more for these last minute "deals"

I went through a spell in the 90's when I made a LOT of bridesmaids dresses & several bedroom sets (spreads/shams/curtains/cushions/dust ruffle). I also felt the fear of cutting into that expensive fabric! One particular wedding, followed by a bedroom set almost put me over the edge & I finally declared the "year of Angela" in 2000...sewing just for me, on my own timetable.

Posts: 4578 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cksvett:
She also did the g-strings for the local Chippendale type dancers.

Oh! i never thought about those having to be custom fit. Or even being made by a real person. Now that thought will flit through my mind! aaaaaaaaauuuuuuuughhhhhhhhh!Eek

Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
I have worked in factories as an asst designer, pattern maker, and seamstress. None were very pleasant situations. I have sewn for the public to pick up some extra dollars for my family when we hit some hard times. I will say that that was the worst. I made 2 suits for the MOB and she stiffed me on the second suit. (I was dumb and trusting) I made dresses for ladies and those went well and they paid in full. I made bridesmaids dresses for 8 ladies. One was pregnant when I took the measurements but assured me that she'd be back to a size 8 by the wedding. Close. One other was built like Dolly Parton and wanted to wear a bustier to be smaller in the waist. There is only so much seam you can take out by the waist. The dresses were just ugly, and were made of ivory satin and that gold stuff with mylar. I had mylar all over my house for months after. They did pay, but I went out of business after that. Decided I'd rather do a lot of things than deal with that again. I love to sew, but just for me now.

Posts: 258 | Location: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jul 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
she stiffed me on the second suit. (I was dumb and trusting)

me too. Toooooooooooo painfully familiar...

actually, I'm at the stage of just wanting to design and sew for a DRESS FORM...no talking back, no saying one thing and meaning another, no faces. Can pin right into the form.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

posted Hide Post
I had a new client that came in the door with her fabric and said, "My husband said he didn't know why I was doing this - that I'll never be satisfied."

She wasn't. She even took the finished garment to another seamstress in town. That seamstress called me and told me that there was not a thing wrong with the garment and she told the woman that.

That's when I got out of the business. You bend over backwards. Make adjustments time after time. How in the world anyone could think that an extremely loosely woven fabric would have the crispness of linen straight from the cleaners is beyond me.

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Oh, I am sooooo done with letting non-sewers pick out fabric for me to work with. Even when I give them choices of what I have, they can't make up their minds -- they're overwhelmed. My BFF is notorious for this. I have to send her pictures in advance of the fabric, and then she changes her mind -- and my plans -- 82 times. Roll Eyes

She actually sent me a placemat earlier this year...could I please reproduce it times 4? I sent HER out shopping for the fabric, and when she saw that she couldn't find anything like that, and saw what it cost, she called & said never mind -- she'd bought new ready-made placemats instead. (Hooray!)

Picture of Indy Anny
posted Hide Post
Such fun accounts (to me). Big Grin I thought I was the slowest sewer. I'm so glad that I have fellow turtles.
No nightmare stories to tell, though. I've always known I'd be a poor candidate to make something for someone else. In fact, I have a friend who saw the chair back covers I made from an old woven bedspread and begged and insisted I make some for her chairs. I know it seemed selfish and maybe it was, but my nervous system is "faulty" and I knew it would never hold up. My excuse and I'm sticking too it.

I will shorten some curtains for my DGD's new bedroom, but told my DIL I would only if I can do the measuring. She, who owns not a needle or thread, of course, agreed! And, I have done some other little sewing projects for her whom I love.

Indy Anny

Posts: 460 | Location: Northern Indiana, 10 miles from Lake Michigan | Registered: Nov 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charlotte
posted Hide Post
I very seldom post but have to share the story from years ago when a lady [size 22] wanted a dress sewn from a size 4 pattern.She assured me the pattern had the right measurements for her.I advised her that only one fourth of her would fit into the dress and I would have to decline the job.Needless to say she was not happy with me.

Charlotte

Posts: 90 | Location: ND,USA | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Her son was one of them, one of the few that wasn't g*a*y. The leader of the group was another. He was overse..... The ones she made were out of double knit so they were stretchable. Easy to get off and throw. Was an education for me for sure... Chris

Posts: 5874 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Some friends bought a large birdcage with an unusual shape to it. They decided they needed a cover for the bottom of it (kitties getting up to peek at the birds), then a drop down top for the night time. I measured, drew up plans; we bought. Ooops we over bought. I started, made the bottom. They didn't tell me it was worse than without one, because then the kitties could really climb up and freak out the birds because it made little hammocks for them to lie and look at the birds. Also they didn't tell me that they nailed that sucker to the wall with some boards running through it...totally changing the structured, lined cover I was making (couldn't put it on. Thank goodness I wasn't far into it when I happend by and looked at it again. It was sort of like havng an architect draw up plans, and when coming by to start construction, seeing that the home handyman built the house. They had already thrown the bottom part I had made away which was beautifully made and had lots of usable fabric in it. I quit sewing on the top and they gave the birds away. I'll never sew for them again. But I have lots of yellow and white fabric left...kinda with bad memories, though.

Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
For anyone who needs a good answer when asked to sew for someone else, I will share my Mom's pat answer. First you should know that she made lots of clothes, for me, herself, and her Mom. She loved Vogue Patterns, designer originals-bring it on! French seams in chiffon, no problem. So when asked by someone else (non-sewer) to make something for them, she smiled so sweetly and simply said, "Oh Dear, you can't afford me." LOL I loved it and have used it myself! They look confused, but move on. LOL

Posts: 258 | Location: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jul 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sara, I've used that line too when someone asks me to make them a quilt.

Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
That is my favorite answer.. you can't afford my time. Works wonderfully.

Posts: 3358 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
It is a good one!