Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ♫♫♪ ♫♫♪ HGTV 2013 BOM ♪♫♫~ OCTOBER Block! ♫♫♪
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

♫♫♪ ♫♫♪ HGTV 2013 BOM ♪♫♫~ OCTOBER Block! ♫♫♪ Sign In/Join 
Picture of BOMchicks
posted
Happy October!!!!
Big Grin

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

WELCOME TO THE 2013 HGTV FORUM BLOCK OF THE MONTH! Wave

The theme this year is Secrets Shhh
SavedSinnr and I (the crazy one) Wink are 'egg'-cited and thrilled to be working with you on the BOM this year! Smile

Star Star Star Star Star Star

A Bit of Background......

*ALL board members are welcome to join us! There is no commitment or sign-up. Just join in the fun by posting on this thread. Smile

*You are not swapping, exchanging or anything else, just make the block we post on the first of each month; show us a photo of your work, and be entered into a drawing for a wonderful prize. Smile

* Each month, we will be doing a block from Quilter's Cache.

* In the intro post, found hereintro post
we explained the extra blocks needed to make a larger quilt. These blocks are totally optional and secret! We will remind you each month to make your secret block. Smile

Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star

Credit: Marcia Hohn has graciously said we can use blocks from The Quilter's Cache again this year. Please read her Terms and Conditions at: http://www.quilterscache.com/. And follow the below guideline. "Should photographs of items made from Original designs be posted on your group website, they should also be clearly marked with the name of the pattern As I have it named, and that it is from The Quilter's Cache/Marcia Hohn." (Since you'll post your pictures in this thread, you will be covered by that statement.)

Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star

This year we will again challenge you to stretch your skills, ideas and creativity, while sewing and even trying new block patterns as well as methods. We are here to help! Use this thread to post your questions, problems anything related to the BOM~ and we will try to answer them for you. Smile

Step One~
Now ... without further clucking ... HERE'S the OCTOBER BLOCK ~~

Variable Star

Additional Notes~

**Remember to make a secret block for your chain this month too. Wink

COME ALONG AND HAVE SOME FUN!!!
AND DON'T FORGET TO POST THOSE PICS WE LOVE PICS!
Cool

If you have trouble posting pictures, or have a challenge with resizing them to post, you can SEND THEM TO ONE OF US VIA EMAIL, and we will BE HAPPY to re-size them and post for you !!!

Have fun!

Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star Star

October block finishers~

Smile sister sue
Smile quilthappy69
Smile Handie Ann
Smile MountainLaurel
Smile STinMT
Smile JLu
Smile Malou
Smile Chlynn1129
Smile patty j

9 finishers! way to 'sew'!! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BOMchicks,

HGTV BOM! I'm SEW 'EGG'-cited!!

Posts: 368 | Registered: Jan 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I have the pattern printed out now to just get'er done. It should be a quick block to do.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3453 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
I have mine printed out too. I am not sure if I will get to it today or not. It is a nice block. Thanks chicks!

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2301 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A new month and a new block! I like yours, CBQ!
I'll see if it goes together quick, as you said Handie! Hard to believe that we'll have only two more blocks to do!

Posts: 2248 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice block Crazy. Just printed out the directions. Thanks Sue

Posts: 1500 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
I like this block so much, I already sewed it! Here it is!!!

Posts: 4808 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad that CBQ signs those blocks!!! LOL! I just had to do that!!!

I do like the block though! Smile

posted Hide Post
I was getting ready to post "You're fast WQFC! Nice block!!" LOL!
First day of the month chuckle!!! Thanks!!

Posts: 2248 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
I have the directions printed, now to decide on the fabrics. I really like this block.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2826 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Printed along with Aug and Sept. Maybe this month I'll get caught up on the major blocks - haven't completely decided on a linking block.

Posts: 7997 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
LOL WQFC, you are speedy! Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 10450 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished my block. Still using all Stonehenge fabric. Should go together without much difficulty. Have fun making your block. Sue

Posts: 1500 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sew...September blew by quickly for me with NO BOM made! UUGGHH! I will get caught up this month. Smile

Posts: 3409 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a beauty Sue!! I love the colors. Smile

Posts: 10450 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow Sue! It's beautiful! You're speedy!

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Sue, those fabrics are just beautiful. I have printed out the directions and hope to sew this weekend.

Posts: 1998 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the compliments. I love working with the Stonehenge fabric and I hope my chain blocks will look good with all of my BOM. Only 2 more blocks to go. LOL Sue

Picture of cindy56
posted Hide Post
I really like this block. will use fall colors I think

Posts: 763 | Location: McMinnville, oregon | Registered: Jan 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilthappy69
posted Hide Post
Here's mine just 2 more months to go.

formily Becky from NY

Posts: 57 | Location: Clayton NC | Registered: Mar 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the blocks look good! Not sure when I'll get to work on mine, but I do enjoy seeing the blocks!

posted Hide Post
Quilthappy- great block with the lime green and black. Great contrast with color. Sue

posted Hide Post
Becky, love your block with the lime green and black! So striking!
Pattern printed... no plans, yet, as to when I'll look at that pattern!!

Picture of quilthappy69
posted Hide Post
thank you for the compliments. Sue I love your colors and Malou this is also a very simple block.

formily Becky from NY

Posts: 57 | Location: Clayton NC | Registered: Mar 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
love the block, love your colors Becky the green and black is striking. now to get September and October done, I can do this! as soon as I get all my string blocks done! but I do have all my linking blocks done.

Posts: 415 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I have my October blocks done and all of my chain blocks done Now to start to sew them all together.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3453 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handie your blocks are beautiful! Good for you having the chain blocks done!

posted Hide Post
Handie- beautiful blocks. Your quilts will be stunning when done. Sue

posted Hide Post
Cool blocks so far. I wrote down the directions, maybe this weekend. Have to do 5 blocks for the Second Saturday block of the month my local quilt store is sponsoring first, since that deadline is sooner than Oct 31st.

Posts: 1659 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I popped in for the first time I'm hoping to this month and checked out all the beautiful blocks... you gals are doing awesome! And I'm LOVING the fabrics being used! Yummy

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the prayers for my family while DD Melissa went thru knee surgery, then 2 back surgeries, sciatic nerve injection, and 13 days in the hospital Frown But I'm glad to say she is home and hopefully on the road to complete healing...

I've been spending all my days tending to her or taking care of family, and have not sewn my block this month ... hoping things will settle down and get me in some GOOD sewing time Smile Looking forward to more pretties being posted this month. We will pull a winner for Sept finishers this weekend when I get my brain back Big Grin Wave

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 7980 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This month's block is finished.

Posts: 530 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: Apr 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
We're almost there

J Lu

Posts: 936 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OOOOhh! That's so pretty J Lu! Your focus fabric is so pretty!

STinMT - love what you did with the stripe in your block! Gives me an idea for mine!

Lindsay - you've had quite a month! I'd be shocked if you had your block done with all you've been through! You've got your priorities straight. You'll get to it when you can!

Handie Ann - I like both of your blocks too. I especially love the Christmas block! Your focus fabric is pretty too!

posted Hide Post
STinMT, love those stripes and how you used them! They really make the block and design!
J Lu, I too love your focus fabric and your block is beautiful.
SS, WQFC is right... you have had a long haul with your daughter and I'm glad to know that she is doing better. It's time for you to rest up from all those worry-days... you'll get that block done sooner or later!

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I just love everyone's blocks. I was making this for my nephew and his wife but, husband won't let me give it up. He's a red freak. It was so hard not to keep my Merry Merry Snowmen Quilt. He goes gaga over that one.

J Lu

Posts: 936 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GOOD MORNING !!! Thank you for the kind words about my lack of mind, and I'm doing much better, as DD is home, got her a hospital bed for healing comfort, and her pain level was at a "4" last nite! Makes this mama smile Big Grin AND sleep really good! I slept most of yesterday and fought to stay awake til bedtime Big Grin

There are SUCH beautiful blocks this month! Everyone has done an outstanding job on the blocks, and I LOVE how each person interprets what the fabrics will do... So amazing how different each same block is Smile

With that, I'd like to announce the winner of the block for Sept ...

WILL QUILT FOR CHOCOLATE ~ YOU'RE THE WINNER!

I'm sure I have your address Smile unless you've moved.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE FINISHERS THIS MONTH!!! You are all winners !!! Wave

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 7980 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a fun surprise to wake up to!!! Yup! Still lovin' life down in the Texas Hill Country!

Glad to know that Melissa is finally getting some relief. I can't imagine what y'all have been through! You deserve every moment of that sleep!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Will Quilt for Chocolate,

Picture of quilthappy69
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Will Quilt for Chocolate.Fun to winn isn't it.

formily Becky from NY

posted Hide Post
Congratulations WQFC! I know I loved my prize last month... in fact I've used parts of all of the 3 FQs (thanks again Lindsay!) and I know you'll love getting your package in the mail!

Lindsay, so glad to hear that Melissa is doing good and getting some rest. You too! After your many days 'living' at the hospital I know you were exhausted.

posted Hide Post
Lindsay- glad to hear your daughter is doing better and on the road to recovery. Don't worry about the BOM, they will keep. Just take care of yourself and your family.
STinMT- the stripes show a great contrast to the purple and white. Love it.
J Lu- love your red and black theme. Guess your husband might get this quilt. LOL Sue
Forgot to say Congrat's to WQFC on being the winner for Sept. Sue

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sister sue,

posted Hide Post
Congratulations WQFC! Smile

Love all the blocks so far! Great job ladies! keep them coming! Wink

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Congrats. WQFC!!

Here is my October block.

Posts: 1998 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the purple!

Congratulations WQFC!

Posts: 1659 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have another beautiful block done by Chlynn. Lets keep them coming. Sue

posted Hide Post
Here's Malou's block! Another beauty!!!

posted Hide Post
Chlynn, love your block! That purple is so pretty! Doesn't feel good to have it done for this month?!!

Thank you WQFC for posting my block! I appreciate it!
The lighting was bad taking the picture and I think I've explained before that the 'gold' that shows for the light fabric is really a very light, creamy butter color.

Anyway, glad to have my block done for the month! And yes, it does feel good!
(don't tell her I told you.... today is WQFC's 25th wedding anniversary!! Congratulations!!)

posted Hide Post
My October block is finished!

Carolyn

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2301 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RN55
posted Hide Post
those BOM's are gorgeous,.

Posts: 415 | Location: Portville, NY | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Malou and Carolyn- nice job at completing the block. Sue

posted Hide Post
Carolyn, love your fabrics! So different and look so good in that block!
Thanks for the kind words about my block... I am glad to be done relatively early in the month!

posted Hide Post
Thanks ladies! Everyone's blocks are different but each are a beauty!

Carolyn