Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  PJ Parties - 2013-14 - LOOKS LIKE A GO!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PJ Parties - 2013-14 - LOOKS LIKE A GO! Sign In/Join 
Picture of fishingwidow
posted
Hi all,

Just posting to make sure there is enough interest to resume the PJ parties this fall. Some of us have been talking about it.

In looking at the calendar, this is what I think could be our schedule.

Start on October 4, no class on Nov. 29 (Thanksgiving) and Dec. 6 would be our last class in this year and we would take a holiday break.

Resume in the New Year on January 11.

Let me know what you think, and any suggestions or ideas you may have.

Mary

PS - It looks like this will be a go. So Here are the October dates. Let's see if we can get these dates scheduled for projects.

October 4 Sew Happy - microwave pot holder

October 11 Shawkl - DIY paper templateCQ seams.

October 18 Gonesewin - Snowflake

October 25. Fluer 55 = zippered vinyl/fabric "no binding" pouches

Nov. 8 Patty J - paper pieced Chr*stmas tree

Nov. 15 Shawko - Silk Rib. Emb. Iris

Nov. 22 KBlue - CQ placemats

Since we are getting ready, for those new quilters, and we who can use reminders, here are the rules when hosting a Friday nite party. And, a tip from me, the more wine, the better the party goes.

To host a PJ party all you really need to do is:

1. Let Mary know what your project will be

2. Announce the Monday prior to that Friday night that you will be hosting a PJ Party and give a list of supplies that each participant will need and if there is any prep work involved.

3. Make up your project with written step by step instructions with pictures. It is SO much easier if you have already worked up your project with details & have already taken pictures rather than do it during the party.

4. List the time (in your time zone) that the party will begin.

5. About 15 minutes before the actual class is to begin start a BRAND NEW thread announcing that the PJ Party is beginning. This is where you will post all your info.

6. Make sure you have plenty of chocolate and goodies to share ... a little kahula and wine never hurts either

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fishingwidow,

Posts: 3935 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jessicasews
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the Friday PJ Parties!

Posts: 3151 | Registered: Jul 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know one at COF PA class that was taught and I didn't get to attend Smile Looking forward to that Smile

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 7980 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I'll make a good pupil! I am really, really quiet during class and I don't get any chocolate on the keyboard. Big Grin

Posts: 16548 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
Sherry, quite? I have been looking at those tile blocks that you all make at the COF. I like the look but I do not have a clue what they are about. That might make a good class.

Erma

Smile Craft Happens! Smile

Posts: 3121 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of San
posted Hide Post
i like the PJ parties lots.. even if i dont post during them..

i always copy and save them so i can do when i have time..

Hugs, Waves, Smiles, & Prayers

God bless you all and may sunshine always be in your lives to brighten your days..

San

Posts: 4214 | Location: OR | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I love the p.j. parties. Some I can attend & some I can't but I go back on the ones I couldn't get to & check them out. I sit on the front row & the teachers LOVE me. Wink I also share my ripper with everyone!!! (when I'm not using it)

Nicki

Posts: 7936 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
I like the PJ parties too. I don't get to attend many but always check them out after.

Looking forward to the line up for this year!

PamSmile

Posts: 5703 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
I will be happy to come up with a class for our Friday nights. I'm sorry to say it will not be the Tile Class. This class is best in a classroom setting and not an online class. There is much prep work for me and the student. At a future COF retreat I will be happy to teach it once again Smile.

Hugs,
Fleur55

Posts: 636 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
I love the PJ parties. I was able to attend a few of them last year and I learned some great techniques and projects. Sometimes Fridays are a challenge for me as often have the Gkids over that night. It's great to be able to go back and catch up on what I missed.

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of darn75
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the Friday night parties as well. I usually end up working on a lot of them but try to go back to the post and copy the directions.

Posts: 449 | Registered: Oct 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeppers... bring'em on...that is my winter fun...inside at machine.Smile

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9920 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
yes can't wait

SUE B

The smallest Cross in the corner is the one you put in the room.

I hope all our daily ups and downs are with needle and thread.

COF 2007 http://www2.snapfish.com/snapf...BRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Posts: 1461 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
I think PJ parties are a hit!! Star Coffee and of course Cookie to keep them going!! Wink

Posts: 2254 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
I love the PJ Parties. I don't always make them, but like others I read them later. I have learned so many cute projects from them. I shared the coasters with some friends, and boy they went to town with them! I had trouble with that striped tablerunner, but now know what I was doing wrong. I have the directions now, and can go back and look if I get lost again. Thank you all for doing these! Yes, please do them!

Posts: 258 | Location: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jul 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once my sewing room is complete in my new house AND I find a job, I would love to actually attend this year. With my 1+ hour commute on Fridays where I lived before, it was impossible to do the parties. But whatever job I find in Idaho, the commutes are a lot less, so I am planning to attend as many as I can this year. And I have plenty of stash (dreading unloading it from the moving van today!)

Posts: 1648 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mandylifeboats
posted Hide Post
can someone do one on a simple paper piecing project. it really stumps me.

Posts: 4903 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I would attend if I could but with the time difference I am always on my way home when they are going. I do check in during my commute to see what fun is being had and I look at the directions later. Hope they keep going.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm totally in if they can start at 6:30 pm central time or later! Smile Working...drive home....

Posts: 523 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
I always love to see them.

Posts: 2943 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
I'm in for them. I even have an idea for one. A microwave bowl potholder, if anyone is interested.

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1714 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Heartmania
posted Hide Post
I love the PJ parties. I was there for most of them. I sure hope you keep them up.

Posts: 490 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
i like them too. even if i can't make it that night, i visit the thread to see whats going on.
i could do a simple pp thing. love pping

Posts: 2523 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
I agree don't always attend, but love to check on them after.

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 2933 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Are they posted somewhere else also other than on the boards? I thought someone had posted PDF of them. I am interested now that I am retired.

Posts: 15212 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
jayardi has a lot of them posted. You can find them at the bottom of her signature line.

Nicki

Posts: 7936 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
I can't always attend, but do download several of them to look at later. Have to confess, don't think I've made many of the items... no time. But love the classes and the interaction going on. Good instruction and so much fun.

Posts: 7988 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping to attend some of these after the first of the year....I'm still on track to be retired then Smile I have several of the older ones saved in the PDF format if someone wants a copy. I'll check in the morning and see which ones...they'll be older than last year's, I didn't get anything from that time period...I don't even know what happened during that time period Smile

Posts: 6452 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Heartmania
posted Hide Post
ttt

Posts: 490 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Was so new for the tail end of the last PJ Parties and didn't really understand what they were but this go around am really looking forward to them Wave

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 698 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Hi Fishingwidow,

I'll take Oct 25th Smile, that will give some time to get ideas together. I may need some help with the format?

Hugs,
Fleur

Posts: 636 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
I can take any of the other three dates in October, slot me in wherever you want me depending on what works for others.

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1714 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Just updated the class list.

Also posted on alexemmarose's monochromatic cq thread. Asking/inviting the cqrs's to show how to do one of their favorite embellishments.

You know we can go many ways here. How to do a project. How to do an embellishment. How to do paper piecing. Do you dye fabric, how to do it - maybe tyedying. A favorite tip to complete something.

Mary

Mary

Posts: 3935 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Musiclady
posted Hide Post
I love the idea of the PJ parties - can't wait. Thanks to everyone who will be teaching them.

Ml

Posts: 1113 | Registered: Aug 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Okay Mary...I'm answering your call to the CQ'ers. I can do just about any technique you might want to see...but don't want to "hog" the class times!

If there is an interest...just let me know what you want to see and when you have me plugged in. Not "expecting" so if there is no interest...that's fine too.

Short techniques could be small embroidery motif; silk ribbon rose cluster; silk ribbon iris cluster; button cluster; or creating comtinations seams using a paper template.

Hugs,

Posts: 4610 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Heartmania
posted Hide Post
I like all of Shawkl's ideas but if I have to choose I would pick, with creating comtinations seams using a paper template and small embroidery motif. However I would gladly do any of them.

Thanks Kathy.

Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
I would love a class on silk ribbon embroidery.

Posts: 722 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Well, I am up for any of them. And we don't want to overload Kathy, but possibly we could do one class in October and another in January to start the new year.

Mary

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Mary,

I'd be happy to do DIY paper template CQ Seam on the 11th of October.

Plug me in wherever after that for CQ Button Clusters; Silk Ribbon Embroidry Iris; SRE Roses; and anything else folks want to learn related to CQ.

Posts: 4610 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of timecard24
posted Hide Post
Is anyone interested in a PJ party with Kevin Cosner and Brad Pitt??

Posts: 1444 | Location: East Weymouth, MA | Registered: Apr 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Yes! But I'd surely have a heart attack...so perhaps not such a good idea!

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Not my personal favorites...

I could do this snowflake as a PJ Party if anyone is interested and if I can get the evening off to do it...Most of the work will be done before and after the party so it could start later which might be good for the west coasters.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gonesewin,

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4913 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
Cute ornament! I'd love to learn to make it.

posted Hide Post
I would also like to learn the ornament

Posts: 1077 | Registered: Jan 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lovely ornament! Would like to learn how to make them..

Posts: 38 | Registered: Mar 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BetsyLu65
posted Hide Post
I'm game.
Just browsing through the quilts you have all made...got a lot to learn Smile

BetsyLu65 Wink

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Wayne, In | Registered: Aug 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
OK, ladies. Will update the schedule. Have had some company and am rested up so need to get on the ball here.

Timecard, I need to know just what Kevin and Brad are going to be teaching us. Let me know what you have in mind here. (haha). I'll send you some atavan Kathy, as we don't need any heart attacks here, but don't want you to be missing out on anything.

And Kathy, I will put you down for October 11th for the DIY paper template CQ seam. I can schedule the Silk ribbon embroidery iris next, so you can pick any Friday in November that would suit you.

Gonesewin, we can slot you in also for the snowflake class and starting at a later time is good. Will Oct. 18 be ok?

Mary

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Mary,

15th of November works for me.

Hugs,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shawkl,

Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
sure, let's shoot for the 18th!

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 4913 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Just updated the schedule and we need 3 more classes to complete the schedule for this year.

I had posted for a paper piecing teacher and this is what Patty 7 posted:

'm not exactly an expert on PP and I waste lots of fabric and I've never tried to do a tutorial, but I have a simple Christmas tree, that is easy to do. Let me see if I can figure out a tute. If someone more experienced wants to give it a shot, I'd happily bow out. Pat

So we can see what she puts together.

Mary