Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Mystery Sister Block Swap - July - Let's See All Your Blocks
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mystery Sister Block Swap - July - Let's See All Your Blocks Sign In/Join 
Picture of Fleur55
posted
We have now finished half of our swap! The collection of blocks we each have are beautiful and fun. The quilts are building right before us. Anyone have any ideas on how they will put theirs together?

Below you will find the original swap guidelines. I will post a photo of our June blocks as soon as all have come in.

Mailings of our blocks need to be made by the 10th of the month in order to reach our sister by the 15th (don't forget the tracking number). Would all of you take a photo of your block before mailing in case your sister is unable, you can email them to me an I will post (thank you).

**By December 15,2014 you will have received 12 blocks all made by the same person with the same fabrics.

Title of Swap: Mystery Sister Block Swap
Blocks Due: 15th of each Month - Beginning in January

Details:

1. Must send one (1) 12 1/2" sewn unfinished block DUE 15th of each month.

2. Must use good quality cotton fabric. Mark blocks "washed" or "not washed".

3. Choose a maximum of five (5) fabrics that you will use during the year. Only these fabrics will be used. This is so the blocks will coordinate at the end. All five fabrics do not have to be used in each block.

*Exception to the Five Fabrics - your Mystery Sister requests a Scrappy look.

4. Send a Swatch card of your five fabrics along with your first block. This will allow your Mystery Sister to find coordinating fabric to finish her quilt.

5. You may vary the type of blocks (paper pieced, applique, piecework, etc).

6. No basic blocks (4 patch, 9 patch, Amish Bar), be creative.

**Mailing - blocks must be mailed with a Confirmation Number. Once mailed, the number needs to be sent to me so I can keep track. You can mail 1st Class or Priority. Please place your block in a zip lock bag with the mailing address inside (just in case the envelope gets damaged).

We're off to a good start!
Blocks Received Big Grin: Pics Posted Cookie

Quiltaholic PP OFF Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
CitySandie Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
Fleur55 PP ON Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
Quilter Jen PP Senders Choice Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
Headielamar PP OFF Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
Nickilee PP OFF Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
Bluesnail PP Senders Big Grin: x7 Cookie x6
Missmommy PP ON Big Grin: x7 Cookie x6
J Lu PP Senders Choice Big Grin: x6 Cookie x6
Quiltingnewbie2 Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
AngelaC PP Senders Choice Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
ELY/SYSSY Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
Susan-TN PP ON Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
Pvillelou PP OFF Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
Rn55 Smile PP ON Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
Sue B PP OFF Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
Justaquiltin' Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7
Crazy'boutquilts PP OFF Big Grin: x7 Cookie x7

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fleur55,

Posts: 796 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
July already? Yikes. I bett get going on this month"s block.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Soon to be NC | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
I feel so bad for our two sisters who are still waiting on their June blocks. Maybe they will get June and July at the same time!

Posts: 6641 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
I will repeat Quiltingnewbie2's offer and add myself~ anyone who feels they can't get their blocks out on time, PM me for my address. You can send me your fabrics and plans for blocks and I will finish up the year for you. Smile

Q & Jen, I hope your blocks arrive soon!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crazy'boutquilts,

Posts: 10683 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Sisters I appreciate your willingness to step up and help out. The four (4) people involved with the late blocks have either stated that they will get the blocks out on time and would like to continue and/or the person receiving has stated that they would prefer to wait for their sister to send the block hoping it will be more on time in the future.

It does make it difficult when all players are not playing by the guidelines they agreed upon. Hopefully everyone will continue to keep me informed if there is a problem so it can be dealt with. I will continue to keep an eye on the ongoing situation.

Quilter Jen and Quiltaholic have been extremely patient the past six (6) months, I hope the next six (6) are much better Smile Thank you both!

Posts: 796 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Happy Days!! We have some July blocks in flightSmile

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
My sister is quick. I have my block. I will post a picture over the weekend.

Posts: 2909 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Mine is quick too! And it is beautiful. Picture looks lighter than it really is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pvillelou,

Posts: 6641 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love that block! Still no June and July, but hoping for blocks on Monday.

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool block pvillelou!

I received 2 blocks in the mail today! Autumn leaves, sure made me feel cooler. LOL I'll take a pic tomorrow when the light is better. Thank you MS!! Does this mean there won't be an August block?

Posts: 10683 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Jen... you didn't receive a June block?

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25891 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Maybe the heat has gotten to them. Maybe they have gone on vacation and can't get to a post office. Maybe they need a minute. Sorry about your blocks

J Lu

Posts: 1143 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, not yet. Maybe it melted- over 100 today Smile

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Another awesome block in the mail today - boy my SS is sure on the ball - Thank you!

"She said she usually cried at least one each day, not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short"

www.CQnickilee.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyladie/sets/
www.RavioleeDreams.Etsy.com - LOTS OF PRETTIES - 4/2014

Posts: 10291 | Location: In the Crazy land of Crazy Quilting, MA | Registered: Dec 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Earlier in the year I had suggested that we each make a few extra blocks in case something came up so our sister would not have to wait for her block.

Now I am asking all of you to please make a few extra blocks to have ready to mail out on time. With summer vacations here and the holidays approaching, our time will be directed to other things. Please, remember how much you enjoy receiving your block on time and that your sister would love the same feelingSmile

We still have 2 sisters waiting on their June Block and I have already received notes from a few of you that you will be sending the July block out late. When you sit down to sew, make an extra one or two blocks just for times like this Smile

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Crazy'boutquilts just heard from your Mystery Sister, the two blocks are for July. Said she was bored and wanted to make two Smile

Lucky you!!!

Pvillelou & Nickilee - very pretty blocks!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fleur55,

posted Hide Post
Still no blocks as of Monday's mail

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...oooo.. just saw there are still some June blocks not received yet...
... Good Grief ... I thought I was getting an early start ... look at all of the blocks already sent ... good going gals Smile

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9144 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Fleur! Lucky me indeed! Big Grin And here are my beauties~

..they make me think of autumn on this hot summer day. Smile Thank you again MS!!

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...CBQ that is really cool ... a positive and a negative of that fall leaf ... very pretty ...

Wounded Warrior Project

Posts: 9144 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Susan-TN
posted Hide Post
To my Mystery Sister- your package arrived yesterday! I can't even begin to tell you how perfect your timing was- After a 14hr. day at work, I was so tired that I skipped dinner. I came home & found your wonderful present waiting for me! You did a beautiful job on the block! I love it!!! Thank you ever so much!!!

Happy Stitching All!
Susan

Posts: 665 | Location: East TN | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Susan-TN your Mystery Sister sent a pic for me to post. She's glad you liked the block.

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...wow... that's really pretty .... I'm sure she is glad she chose blue and white theme ...

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
No block yet but, I'm loving what y'all are gettin

J Lu

Posts: 1143 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My June and July blocks arrived today and they are gorgeous! Will post a picture tomorrow- my memory card is full and I have to process pictures first to clear the card.

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Finally, a picture of my July block. Thank you MS - love them all!!

Posts: 2909 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I thought there might be something in today's mail... but yet... nope. Smile

Posts: 25891 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My July block. Aren't the crabs the coolest? A really neat block with lots of little paper piecing!

I like the reverse leaves posted up above- what an easy way to add interest to a quilt by reversing the positive/negative color.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Cute block Jen.

What is your theme?

posted Hide Post
Scrappy beach Smile- anything as long as it is "beachy." Going to make a quilt for my Grandpa who loves Hawaii/beach things.

Hoping you have a block tomorrow Smile

Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
My block arrived today. Thanks so much SS I just love my stars. I will post a picture tomorrow.

SUE B

The smallest Cross in the corner is the one you put in the room.

I hope all our daily ups and downs are with needle and thread.

COF 2007 http://www2.snapfish.com/snapf...BRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Posts: 1536 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Jen, what a neat block, love the movement of it.

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
..once again my Mystery Sister has sent a beautiful block ... I cannot choose a favorite they are all so beautiful .. I will post a picture tomorrow ... I need better light than I have in the evenings.
Mystery Sister ... I LOVE the way you are interpreting each block in the wonderful fabrics you chose for my quilt to honor my late daughter. She loved pink and lively and creative looking designs .... in fact she beaded and inked lovely things that were much like the designs in the fabrics you chose.
Thank you seems so insignificant.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: City/Sandie,

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I received a package from my SS with 2 quilt blocks in it. I have had company so will get photos a little later.

Picture of ELY/SYSSY
posted Hide Post
HI LADIES
I GOT MY JULY BLOCK AND IT IS A BEAUTIFUL ONE.
I THINK I AM THE LOKIE ONE IN THE GROUP MY BLOCKS ARE STONING.
FLEUR55 I KNOW WHAT YOU SAY I WAS LATE ONE AND I DID NOT LIKE THE FILING. SO NOW I MAKE ALL MY BLOCK SO THE ONLY THING I HAVE TO DO IS PACK THEM AND PUT IN THE MAIL. I AM REDUING MY QUILTING ROOM AND I DID NOT WANG NOTHING TO HAPEN TO THE BLOCKS,
LOVE ELY

Posts: 1784 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: Dec 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
The blocks I received weren't labeled which month they were for so I chose this one for my July block.

As always, great piecing! Love the block.

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
I received my July yesterday and it is lovely. Thank you Mystery Sister.

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Posting for Sue B.

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Posting for Ely.

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
I have a request from some your Mystery Sister's asking that we all post a photo of all the blocks together that we have received so far. It will help to see what type of block may be needed to round out the 12 blocks.

Some of you have already been doing this Smile

Thanks

Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
nice job everyone they are all so pretty

Posts: 3066 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
No block yet but, I have faith

J Lu

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Okay, in response to the requests to see the blocks we have received so far here are my pretties.

Let's see the rest Smile

posted Hide Post
Pretty blocks Fleur! Your colors are very soothing.

Here are mine!~

posted Hide Post
Great blocks! Will take a picture of all of mine later today.

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
No block yet. Very nice everyone.

J Lu

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Hostess Duties - Well sisters it is the 16th and we still have 7 of us without their blocks Frown.
Please post when you receive your block and if you have not sent one out, send it!

Thank you to all that have kept me informed of any issues.

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Just got home from a week long vacation, but, no block in the mailbox.

Posts: 4719 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Missmommy
posted Hide Post
Diane - check your PMs

Posts: 3383 | Location: Soon to be NC | Registered: Aug 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ivy_cottage81
posted Hide Post
Wonderful variety of blocks AND fabrics.
Looking forward to seeing them all together.

ivy

Posts: 769 | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post