Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  6 x6" CQ Round Robin - Let's get this Party Started!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 x6" CQ Round Robin - Let's get this Party Started! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Nickilee
posted
CQ 6x6 RR GUIDELINES

Let the RR begin!

We have 3 Groups of 5 for this RR. Each Group has been divided into 3 Experienced CQers and 2 Beginner CQers. If you need help with anything please don’t be shy about asking your Group Momma. CQWannabe has volunteered to be an Angel should anyone find they can’t do a round. Hopefully we will not need to call on her.

Mail Dates:

May 1st – Mail date is May 1st for the first round and then the 1st of each month thereafter. ALL blocks must be received by the person on your Rotation List by May 1st. Each Group will be sent a PM with the names and addresses and the order in which they are to be mailed.

How the RR Works:

Each CQer will make 6, 6x6" n*a*ked blocks of their choosing (theme/color combo) that will be sent around in rotation. As each set of blocks comes your way, you will pick one, embellish it and then send the whole pack on to the next person on your rotation list. Note: You will be sending to the same person EVERY round.

NOTE: There is no theme, no specific color or shape that you must follow. It is your decision - just make sure your blocks are no more, no less than 6x6 finished.

Each person will be sending out 6 blocks - 6.5x6.5 unfinished – please leave at least ¼” for side seams - zig zag edges to help prevent unraveling or you can create your blocks on a larger piece of muslin like Shawl demonstrated.

Since we have 5 ladies in each Group, please number your blocks on the back 1-6. 4 Blocks will be worked on COMPLETELY, 1 block you will CQ yourself and the 6th block will be worked on by each lady. On this block, each person in your group will do ¼ of the block so that it arrives home completed and you have a block created by your whole CQ group.

When the RR is complete you will then receive back your package of 6 blocks which will have 5 completed blocks and one n*a*ked block - that one will be yours to complete to make a full set.

BOOKLET:

This is not necessary but if you like, enclose a little notepad for each member to sign and explain what they did. To keep it on the light side so it doesn’t add much to the postage, take a pretty card, fold over some paper sized to fit the inside of the card, punch some holes on the sides and attach the paper to the card with some pretty ribbon. List on the inside cover a copy of the Rotation list and maybe a little something as to things you would like to see on your blocks as well as anything you do not want to see…. Like if you sent out purple blocks you might want to tell them “no reds” or maybe you don’t like spiders… etc.

MAILING:

When packing your blocks please be sure to insert a card with your name and address. Also, sign the back of each of your blocks. Although your blocks do not need to be sent Priority, they MUST CQingbe sent on to the next person with Confirmation. That confirmation number is to be sent each month to your Group Momma. FYI- I just completed 4 6x6 RR’s and the most my package cost me to mail was $3.40.

CQing

We all have different styles of CQing – some fast, some slower than others and at all levels. You will have approximately 4 weeks to work on one 6x6 block….this is plenty of time to take your time and do your BEST work. I don’t want anyone to be unhappy and hear reports that they received a block back with about ½ hr worth of work on it. There are plenty of books, videos, sites and experienced ladies to ask for help. When working on someone elses blocks, just be sure to do something that you yourself would like to receive back and do your best.

This is not a surprise CQ RR. Please feel free at any time to post pictures of the work you are doing. After each block is completed it would be nice if everyone would share a picture of the block they worked on to inspire and maybe initiate some questions like “how did you do that” We are all here to share and learn from each other.

The following are the Groups: ( a PM with Rotation List and Addresses will be sent shortly)

Group #1
Nicki Lee – Group Momma
Wrenegade
NancySews
Ambher
Bjeannes

Group #2
Shawkl – Group Momma
Timecard24
Bluesnail
Gonesewin
Katiemedarlin

Group #3
Quiltaholic – Group Momma
Cr8tv1
Alexemmarose
Califgal
Ely

Let's get this party started! When you have your blocks completed please post a picture Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nickilee,

"She said she usually cried at least one each day, not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short"

www.CQnickilee.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyladie/sets/
www.RavioleeDreams.Etsy.com - LOTS OF PRETTIES - 4/2014

Posts: 10270 | Location: In the Crazy land of Crazy Quilting, MA | Registered: Dec 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
LOL! OMG! I kept getting bounced for a bad word N A K E D ! LOL!

"She said she usually cried at least one each day, not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short"

Posts: 10270 | Location: In the Crazy land of Crazy Quilting, MA | Registered: Dec 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
Me please! Wave
you don't specify what info you want, so if i didn't send it all just let me know...

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5118 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Nickilee your CQs are works of art. Just lovely.

Posts: 4327 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Thank you Aunt Jo - why don't you try you hand at it? It is so much fun and eveyrone will help.

Picture of kmouse
posted Hide Post
Want to play...
Still sitting on the fence right now
Wink

"It is not our Abilities that show what we truly are but our choices."

"Live Well , Laugh Often , Love Much "

Posts: 1083 | Location: Beautiful Pacific NW | Registered: Dec 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
KMouse - I just kicked your but* off ...come play with us!!!

Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Lori- everything you sent weas Exactly what I wanted.

Ladies - when signing up please send me the following info:

Name/BoardName
Address
Telephone #
Beginner? Experienced?
All you Lottery winnings (LOL!)

Picture of bjeannes
posted Hide Post
I want to play too! Will send info in a bit.

? What kind of timeline are you thinking of?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 1803 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: Feb 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking if I can get at least 3-4 groups together we can have a "Mail Date" by April 1st - that would give everyone at least 5 weeks to get their 6 blocks together. We'd start the RR on April 1st and then the block swould be due on the 1st of the month - all blocks to be home to their owner by Sept 1st would give eveyrone plenty of time to create a Christmas present either for themselves or someone else.

Also, once I form the groups I would appreciate one person in the Group to step forward and be the Group Momma .. this person would be the one to give ya'll a little nudge and make sure that your blocks are out ont he 1st of the month Mailing date.

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
umm, Nicki, if the swap starts on April 1, that's only about 5 DAYS away, not weeks. Did you by chance mean May 1?

Posts: 5786 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wave Sadly, I will have to just watch from the sidelines this time...too much going on for the next several months...I know there will be some beautiful stitching!

Posts: 3495 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
oooh duh........... you know, I just went back to being a blonde last week... guess it shows LOL!

Yes ladies - Start date will be May 1st NOT April 1st...that was a bit of an April Fools joke!

Thanks McP!

Picture of Purple Butterfly
posted Hide Post
Nicki,

As much as I really, really want to play. I still have a little work on my Valentine Block and a lot of work to do on my Tea Cup block. Yes the one from 2010. Hopefully the next CQ Project I will be ready for.

Butterflies float around my hillside

Posts: 2772 | Location: With the butterflies on my hill | Registered: Oct 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
I'm ready to do this. Sent you a PM with my info.

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2252 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
You better not forget me.. Big Grin

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25843 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
I'm in too. Will start thinking on my blocks.

Posts: 4640 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ELY/SYSSY
posted Hide Post
HI LADIES
NICKI I WILL PLAY TOO I WILL SENT INFO
COME LADIES THIS IS FUN.
HUGS ELY

Posts: 1782 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: Dec 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
I'm in. Will send my info.

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Posts: 4063 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of timecard24
posted Hide Post
Nicki, I will give it a try.

Posts: 1448 | Location: East Weymouth, MA | Registered: Apr 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Way to go girls! Looks like we've got the beginnings of a great RR! I would love to see at least 2-3 groups if not more so come on ladies jump in!

I've started the Participation list above in the first post.

Picture of wrenegade
posted Hide Post
Here I go again with my crazy thinking that I will actually have time for this, but I haven't been doing any sewing (still haven't finished my sisters block) But honestly, I have to find time to do some things I enjoy, right? I mean I'm only working 9-10 hours a day and taking 2 college classes. Surely I can find time, right?! Okay, talked myself into it. I'm in!! K-mouse, I hope you will join in and others as well. This is only my second time joining in a "group sew." Count me in, Nicki. I'll PM you my new address. Bye for now, ladies!

Karen

What we learn with pleasure, we never forget.

Posts: 373 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Hey Karen - happy to se you come out of hiding!

Picture of kmouse
posted Hide Post
ok ...
can I just ask a couple questions to clarify?

We each make 6 blocks and each one of us is responsible to CQ a full 6x6 block for our rr team members ?
We are not splitting the blocks up like we did on other RRs ?

I know Nickilee that you explained this ...
I just want to make sure I'm getting it right
It must be all this rain . I seem to be a bit foggy ! LOL

"It is not our Abilities that show what we truly are but our choices."

"Live Well , Laugh Often , Love Much "

Posts: 1083 | Location: Beautiful Pacific NW | Registered: Dec 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
KMouse - exactly!

Say there are 6 peopole in your group..

When you receive a package it will have 6, 6x6 blocks in it.

You choose one of the blocks and completely CQ it then pass all the blocks on to the next person in your Group.

You will continue to do this until your blocks come home. When you receive your blocks home there should be 5 completed blocks and one still N a k e d which youi will complete yourself.

Once I have a list of the groups I will post the Guidelines. I will keep signups open until April 5th. In the meantime, everyone who has signed up should get busy and make their 6 blocks...

When making your blocks cut them out to be 6.5" c 6.5" and then zigzag about 1/4" all the way around your blocks to prevent fraying. It's your choice as to the color/theme (if any) for your blocks. Also, if you want to use all cottons and not bother with the fancy fabrics...again, your choice. Once you have made your blocks, feel free to post a picture.

Picture of Ambher
posted Hide Post
I think I'd like to try this CQ stuff one more time . . .do you still have my info from the valentine CQ, or do I need to send it again?

Posts: 212 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Ambher, Happy to have you join us! Yea! Please send four info again. It makes it so much easier for me to just cut and past into my spreadsheet - this way also I don't have to worry about transposing anything in someones address.

Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
I have a plan already. I ordered a sheet of silkies yesterday and they've already been mailed. I've pulled my fabrics and bits and I'm hoping by next weekend to be good to go.

I've also been working on some new embroidery skills that I'm hoping to use in this RR, including stumpwork. I made a pretty fair pansy today. I've got to try bugs next! It's tedious, but the results are so cool!!!

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Posts: 4063 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cr8tve1
posted Hide Post
I want to try this. Is it too late to sign up. They say practice makes perfect, I've got to get the hang of this!

Nickilee, Forgot to say I sent you a PM.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cr8tve1,

Posts: 3292 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA USA | Registered: Apr 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrenegade
posted Hide Post
It's great to see some familiar names now that I've come out of hiding. I sorry that Purple Butterfly and AlexER can't play this time. Are you sure you can't squeeze it in. Once the n a k e d blocks are done, it's only one to embroider a month and they're smallish.

K-mouse??? Come on, pleeeeeze. . . are you on our side of the fence yet??

Cr8tve1: I'm so glad you are joining. I'm trying to recall your name. . Is it Jodi? I know you sent me some beautiful goodies when I first began this CQ journey. You might see some of them!!

Posts: 373 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Nicki,

If folks could make their muslin square larger...it would be helpful to those of us who use a hoop.

I'm always having to sew extra strips on the blocks that folks send me to work on...

...and I'll that here too if folks don't want to add the extra when they piece them.

Hugs

Posts: 4640 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Good idea Kathy - I'll make sure to put that in the Guidelines. I usually don't use a hoop but I'm sure there are those like you that do.

BTW ladies... 6x6 is the measurement we are using for CQing on ...if you want to make your "n a k e d " block in a different shape go ahead but NO larger than 6x6. Some shapes that come to mind - rectangle, heart, circle etc etc

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
i wanna try this but is scares me, i must be dense, i don't understand the guidelines. we make 6 blocks and embellish one of them? i'm confused help!!!!!! explain to me like your talking to a 5 yr. old LOL

patsy

Posts: 3519 | Registered: Sep 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Patsy

1. you make 6, 6x6 ***** blocks

2. you send ALL six to the person below your name in your Group (to be assigned)

3. when you receive a package each month with 6 blocks from the person that mails to you, you pick out 1 N a k e d block out of the six and embellish the whole block

4. when you are finished, you mail to the person in your Group that you are assigned to mail to (same person each month - Mail date will be the 1st of each month) In other words, you will work on 5 blocks total - one block beloning to each lady in your group...

5. you will repeat this 5 times until all 6 of your blocks come home - 5 of your blocks will be completed

6. the 6th block you work on will be yours when your blocks come home to you because 5 will be completed by the other ladies in your group and the 6th one is to be completed by you.

Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
ok Nicki, it worked i understand now. see if ya talk to my like i was 5yrs old i get. sign me up

patsy

Posts: 3519 | Registered: Sep 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
hey Nicki... Did you see cr8tve1's post...

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25843 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Yes mam - I even responded to her PM ...just forgot to add her name above...

too busy crying about the fact that I only got 2 numbers on all my lottery tickets..... Cry

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Don't cry about your 2 numbers, Nickilee, I only got 1 number. I have to pass on this swap, have too much on my plate right now. Plus I have lots of gardening and yardwork. And my Garden Club is having a flower show, so... So sorry to have to pass this one up. Will join in the next one.

Happy stitchin all.

Mary

Posts: 4018 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With Wren's kind encouragement have been rethinking my projects, etc. She is right, I will still need a little hand work to do mixed in with all of the other stuff in my life so...thanks to Wren, I think I better sign up! I will be getting out my scrap bags and using only scraps on these blocks. Looking forward to stitching and playing with you all...

Posts: 3495 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nancysews
posted Hide Post
Wave OMG I was responding to this post to let you all know that I'm in and accidentally posted on the brick swap Red Face

I haven't joined any swaps in a while. So the excitement got the best of me.

Ok got it together now.

Nancysews

Posts: 572 | Location: Rochester, NY 14609 | Registered: Mar 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Yea Axel & Nancy!!!! Sew happy that you both have decided to join us.... this is shaping up to be one awesome group of RR ladies - Love it!

Axel, can you PM me your info - it makes it easier for me to cut and paste to my spreadsheet - Thanks!

Come on girls, jump off that fence and put your creative thinking caps on....if you don't sign up I can guarantee you one thing...when you start seeing all the beautiful work done on the blocks you are going to be wishing they were coming home to you! You've got until Wednesday to make up your mind ...we need another 3 ladies to jump in to make it an even 18 for 3 Groups! Big Grin

Mary - we are going to miss you!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nickilee,

Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
I'm excited - I got my silkies today in the mail and they are exactly what I was looking for. I will start stitching my blocks tomorrow.

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Nicki asked me to post a photo of a block that has a "larger" background square...for those of us that us a hoop.

I don't have a square, but here is a block that I'm starting for a purse. I'm sure you'll get the idea.

Basically...you start with a larger piece of muslin...say 12 inch square. On one side (the back) draw your desired finished block size...6 1/2 inches. This line will become the cutting line for you later on.

Flip the muslin back over and start piecing your CQ block on the top. As you work, keep checking to see how far you are from your drawn line at 6 1/2. Once you have covered enough of the area...STOP sewing. Flip the muslin back over so you can see you line...stitch on that line, stitch a zigzag outside of that line.

Flip back to the front...and trim your fabric close to your sewn line. BUT, don't trim the muslin...leave it larger.

The muslin fits the hoop...and the CQ portion will "float" in the center of the hoop. All of the stitching and beading can be done...and the block never has to be taken out of the hoop until it's complete. THAT's how we can use a hoop and never wreck the work on the block.

Hugs!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shawkl,

Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathy - appreciate the help. I'm rethinking this, maybe I might try using a hoop - it seemed to always bother me before but maybe I'll give it one more try. Big Grin

Picture of timecard24
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathy, I have tried to use the hoop and was always catching the beading in it.

Posts: 1448 | Location: East Weymouth, MA | Registered: Apr 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrenegade
posted Hide Post
First - - Yea! Alex!! I was really hoping you'd join. I am really super cramped for time, too, but I am determined to find the time to do this and have some fun time in my busy life.

Now, if we could just convince K-mouse to come on over. . . :-)

Kathy, Thank you for the detailed instructions on the hoop use. (and may I say what a LOVELY n a k e d block!). I'd had trouble using a hoop because of having to take it in and out so much, so I started trying to do it without a hoop. Now, I think I'll try going back to the hoop with this method.

Picture of coffee/tea or me
posted Hide Post
Am thinking,(can you see the smoke?) if you fill the slots before I make up my mind that's ok. Could jump in the next time around if I decide I want to get my feet wet.

Hugs

"Insanity is hereditary.You get it from your kids."

Posts: 3536 | Location: West of the Mississippi | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrenegade
posted Hide Post
Bumping this to the top and also encouraging coffee,tea, or me to jump in now. The water was never any finer!! You will love it, trust me!!

Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
Finished two of my six blocks last night. First time I've ever made such small blocks. Hard to get much going on.

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Picture of wrenegade
posted Hide Post
Hi Katie! Could you post us a picture? I've got foundation pieces cut and fabric picked out for about half my blocks. I hope to get some of them made this weekend.