Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Help Finding Pattern or Instructions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Finding Pattern or Instructions Sign In/Join 
posted
I want to make a Full Circle Cape Wrap. It has been way too many years and I don't remember how. Free would be wonderful but a reasonable price will work also.

Full Circle Cape Wrap

Posts: 174 | Registered: Jun 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
Does this look like what you are looking for?

Martha

Posts: 7142 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
Oh gosh. years ago I made a coat out of a twin size blanket. very easy and looked good. for some reason I gave it away. in one of my cleaning out moods perhaps.
Good luck. it's very cute.

CC

Posts: 4670 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
I saw some Chiffon circle wraps/shawls at the Des Moines Quilt show. It was a circle of fabric with two rectangular ovals cut for the armholes. When worn the top of the circle folds back like a cape and collar. The ones she had needed more space between the arm holes for me but they were pretty. I think I will see if I can find some fabric to try to make on. The price was $24.

Madelyn

Posts: 6169 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bozie, thanks for the link. It is not what I am looking for. I need instructions to make a wrap like Quilting Wifey describes.

It is a circle with armholes cut out. When worn the top of the circle folds down to make a collar. Or, it can be worn pulled up for a hood. These were popular back in the 60s. Some called them 'hippie coats'. They have to be easy to make but I am uncertain where to place the armholes and the shape.

posted Hide Post
I M Joyce,

The ones I saw at the quilt show were in the booth of "A Charming Affair / R & J Specialties" 541-521-2918, rsteele0824@gmail.com from Eugene,OR. This is the info on the slip of paper she gave me.

What I saw there was an "oval circle" about 60" wide with the two armholes cuts starting about 15-20 inches below the top edge. I would measure your own back from shoulder to shoulder, then divide that by 2 and use that figure to mark first edge of the armhole. Their armhole was cut about 12" long and about 3-4 inches wide.

When I tried one on it felt like there was strain across the back and cutting into the arm at the front, so I would make sure I had the armholes cut far enough apart and wide enough that they didn't cut into the arm in front.

The ones they had were mostly a white chiffon with a gradiation of grey from top to bottom in the center, but at the bottom of the piece was a single large flower either teal or pink or purple.

I'm hoping to see if I can find some chiffon and try it out. The edges were finely serged.

Good luck. Let us know what you find and how it turns out.

Madelyn

Posts: 6169 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is helpful information. I have some wool I think would work. In roaming the net trying to find something I came across a site selling undyed silk ready made wraps.

Chiffon would make a nice light wrap. It would create an intersting upscale layered outfit. We are having a fall craft fair soon. I think I will go just to see if someone has them for sale.

posted Hide Post
I finally found this by changing the search wording.
http://www.threadsmagazine.com.../11045/circular-vest

posted Hide Post
There was a demo at guild several years ago for the one more like a vest. Several were done in fleece. A little longer than the vest but not as long as the one with white tassels. I didn't get around to making one at the time, so no help there.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6304 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I M Joyce, I think that is the same general idea as the ones I saw, just a shorter version. I will have to see if I have that issue of Threads upstairs. It would be great to make in some different fabrics for different occasions. I thought the chiffon one would be good with dresses at church when the AC get to be too much. Funny what a simple layer will do.

Madelyn

Picture of wolfmyster
posted Hide Post
I found this free pattern.
http://www.habermanfabrics.com/proj-huddlewrap

Michelle

Posts: 311 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: Dec 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks like it would be the one needed. Thanks.

Madelyn

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Wolfmyster. That is even
better then the one I found. Now off to make this.