Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  A finish and a lesson learned
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A finish and a lesson learned Sign In/Join 
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted
So, I just finished putting the binding on this one. I really like it. You can't see any of the patterns until you step back. This was a throw away pattern in the back of a book - no name. So I have named mine "Blue Skies and Starry Nights". All the fabric comes from stash, but the binding.

The logs finish out at 1". I'm pretty sure this is the last one I'll be doing like that in a while.

I did learn a lesson. No matter how close you are to finishing, don't rush and don't use cheap fabric. You will pay. I had three of the lighter squares get wonky on me because of one crummy fabric. So I had to trim up the edges and it doesn't look quite straight - because of all the straight lines in the quilt. It IS straight though.

Well, anyway, I'm happy to finish one. Now before I can start anything new, I have to finish a WIP. I have like four or five things in progress and it's making me nuts.

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Posts: 3993 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
Oh, and this one is mine. I also put a label on the back. Also, the back is pieced, using up any random pieces I had left and one dark block that I made too many of.

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Posts: 3993 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Lynn you are something this is beautiful. Can't get over your scraps. Amazing!

J Lu

Posts: 932 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Love it! Nice job!

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2297 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
It's really beautiful.

~karen Wave

Posts: 3145 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Very nice, one inch logs? I would have given up long ago, probably at the table runner size. Love how well the fabrics go together. Enjoy!

piney

Posts: 3103 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Katiiemd...beautiful,it appears to be a Log Cabin Storm at Sea,very challenging.You did a terrific job on it.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9882 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Beautiful job!!! Would love to see the instructions/pattern for that!! It's definitely a winner!!!

Pat

Posts: 5031 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
That's gorgeous! You did well with all of those little bitty pieces.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6522 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
This is a gorgeous quilt and I would love to see it in person. You will have to bring it with you when you come. Smile

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25639 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous.

Posts: 15198 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
"I would have given up long ago, probably at the table runner size." Piney

Beautiful! I would have quit at the pillow size!!!!!

Piney: Every time I see your avatar, I smell pine and pitch and feel a cool breeze...mmmmmmm!

Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8404 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
I love both scrappy and log cabins. Beautiful.

Posts: 3673 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
'Tis really beautiful!!

Posts: 305 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaribbeanQuilter
posted Hide Post
Stunning!

Posts: 500 | Registered: Jul 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful quilt. I love the colors in it. I look at it & see it different each time. I like quilts like that...those that look different at different times. Does that make sense? It's so pretty & looks like a ton of time went into it. I'm also falling in love with quilts without borders. GREAT JOB!

Nicki

Posts: 7912 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous quilt!!! Just another example of how versatile log cabin blocks can be. I've never made a log cabin quilt but this could be enticing.

You said the pattern was a throwaway, but do you know the name of it?

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawana
posted Hide Post
Very pretty! You did a fantastic job on it.

Shawn

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best."

~ Live Well ~ Love Much ~ Laugh Often ~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srtrn/sets/

Posts: 3564 | Location: WV | Registered: Dec 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much. I'm very happy with it and it looks great on my old iron bed - couldn't wait, just had to pop it right on there!

The pattern came out of the Judy Martin Snake River Quilt book. It was in the back of the book with no name, kind of an afterthought. There was no pattern really, but there's a chart listing the log sizes so it's not too hard to figure out.

There's one other quilt in that book I'd like to do - but later. After this one and the Snake River one, I need a break from those little logs. I'm kind of happy with the 'no border' look too. It's plenty big enough so I didn't need them for size. I just felt that the binding was enough.

Q - promise to bring it when I come down.

nlk - I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I look at this one and see the diamond shapes, sometimes the circles. Up close, you don't see a pattern at all. Different every time.

Oh, and sorry about the kitchen floor picture, but it's the only place in my little home that is big enough for a queen size quilt to be laid out flat!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: katiemedarlin,

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
It's very pretty. I also thought of the storm at sea. What an amazing no name quilt. If the author saw this one, (s)he would have given it more prominence in the book. I like your name BTW.

Posts: 3524 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I love 2 color quilts. and I like Judy Martin quilts although I've never made one. She talked at our guild meeting a number of years ago.

I don't mind coming to work. But that 8 hr. wait to go home is a drag.
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x189/indycatCarol/

Posts: 3432 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just LOVE your quilt! You did an amazing job. I, too , see different patterns when I look at it.
Susan

Posts: 705 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ambher
posted Hide Post
How beautiful .... reminds me of blueberries and cream . . .yummy!!

Posts: 212 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KMD, this really is a beautiful quilt. I am not normally a "blue" person but this one is gorgeous.

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
Blueberries and Cream - would have made an awesome name.

The dark blues in this quilt are all star prints - I was saving them for a quilt for DH, but it just never came together. The lights looked like blue skies, so I named mine Blue Skies and Starry Nights.

(Just hate those typos, I have to fix them!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: katiemedarlin,

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Picture of EBGQ
posted Hide Post
Lynn, another great quilt and considering you quilted it Friday and it is already done, you did some hustling. You also need to put a sleeve on it so we can show it at our next quilt show

Posts: 2139 | Registered: Sep 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Katie, it is beautiful. I will have to get my hands onthat book. I seem to remember thinking that when you shared your Snake River quilt as well. Just stunning!

Brandy
~There are pawprints on my heart.~
www.prairiepawsrescue.com

Posts: 5094 | Location: North Dakota! | Registered: Jul 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
I don't know about showing it, Marlene. It's a bit wobbly on the side from the crummy fabric. Certainly good enough for my bed, but maybe not to have a bunch of people looking at it up close.

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Just gorgeous!! I can just picture it on an iron bed - perfect Smile You always do amazing things, love looking at pictures of your work.

Posts: 6441 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post