Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Shabby Strings... Hey Nickilee & Brandyquilter!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shabby Strings... Hey Nickilee & Brandyquilter! Sign In/Join 
Picture of asimplelife
posted
FINALLY!

Nickilee, Brandyquilter and I swapped Shabbilicious string blocks several years ago... do either of you remember the year? I'd love to know!

In my new life as a person who actually finishes projects these are finally at flimsy stage and it will be going out in the mail today to my LAQ.

I made 8 extra blocks this week for a 8 x 10 layout (blocks are 7" finished) for a perfect cuddle quilt. It will be backed with pastel polka dot flannel and I just can't wait to cuddle up in it for the first time. I'll post pics again after it's done.

The colors in this pic aren't the best but it shows the whole top... so I'm posting a second one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: asimplelife,

Posts: 1141 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: Apr 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of asimplelife
posted Hide Post
This pic is more accurate in color... it's folded over on the trundle bed in my quilting room.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: Apr 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Oohlalal Debbie that is so pretty. You know I love roses. Very nice.

J Lu

Posts: 934 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Deb, I'm thinking it had to be 2007 / 2008 because I had made a couple Crazy Quilt purses using some of those blocks for an Art Show that I was in. They were some of my favorite all time blocks - so pretty and so shabby chic! Your quilt is gorgeous!

"She said she usually cried at least one each day, not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short"

www.CQnickilee.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyladie/sets/
www.RavioleeDreams.Etsy.com - Holidays laces and more! are ready! 11/2013

Posts: 10244 | Location: In the Crazy land of Crazy Quilting, MA | Registered: Dec 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oooh...gorgeous! I love string quilts and made up in shabby chic...yummy!

Posts: 3408 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is wonderlicious to be sure...Love the soft shabby chic fabrics...Terrific quilt "flimsy"

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9920 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewlove2quilt
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!!! Love it!!Big Grin

https://www.etsy.com/people/sewlove2quilt2

Take time for kindness & for giving. Take time for friends & happy living!

Posts: 6784 | Registered: Feb 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I need to post a pic of mine, the could be twins! It is one of my favorite snuggle quilts. And the colors just brighten up my livingroom. So glad you finally got it together, the quilt that is! Wink

Brandy
~There are pawprints on my heart.~
www.prairiepawsrescue.com

Posts: 5094 | Location: North Dakota! | Registered: Jul 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
Very, Very Nice!!!! Big Grin And good for you turning over a new leaf and making the 'I am a finisher' your new goal!!! Excellent!!! And this is a fantastic finish for you to do!! Beautiful project!

Give yourself a hug and enjoy this when it's a thing to snuggle under!!! Wink Love it!!!!

Posts: 2254 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Not sure which amused me more, the gorgeous quilt or the cat b*tt calendar page in the background! Big Grin I've seen many of those around here (cat undersides, not string quilts).

I have pastel string blocks from years ago that I never finished. Those pictures make me think about pulling the blocks out & getting started again! Smile

Posts: 5445 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
BEAUTIFUL, nothing better than snuggling under a quilt and this one would look great in any room.

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 698 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of asimplelife
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! Thanks for the timestamp Nickilee. Ooh yes Brandyquilter add your pics... please!!!

StarrySky - leave it to you to point out the cat parts. LOL Dig out those blocks OK?

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
That b*tt looked so real, and I have two boy cats that color - of course I'd notice it right away! Big Grin And mine would be rolling around in that same position on top of that quilt if I had put it down to photograph.

I doooooo need to dig out those blocks. The stork is bringing 2 babies later this year to people I know. Haven't heard yet if it will be pink deliveries or blue.

Posts: 5445 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Smile

Posts: 10448 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twostep
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6773 | Location: Bubbleland | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of asimplelife
posted Hide Post

Picture of asimplelife
posted Hide Post
Closeup showing some of the yummy fabrics... thanks again Nickilee and Brandyquilter!

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
That's a gorgeous string quilt! Congrats on getting it all finished.
Hugs,

Posts: 4610 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
I'm not normally a shabby chic fan, but I love it done with strings!! Beautiful!!

my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!

Posts: 4558 | Location: maybe Texas someday | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful....I mean it looks awful I think it should live at my house Wink

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9920 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your quilt is beatuiful! For some reason I hit reply to put a comment and I get a yellow spark on the hand so will try to email you.

Posts: 652 | Location: Ashley, IL | Registered: Feb 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay it went with on--seems different since I posted last. I would love to have that quilt!

Posts: 652 | Location: Ashley, IL | Registered: Feb 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5707 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9462 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of angelinamor
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Does it make you want to do another shabby string block swaps?!?! Wink
I know that it makes ME want to be in a swap!! Big Grin

Posts: 602 | Location: colorado | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawana
posted Hide Post
Your quilt is so pretty. Shabby chic is my favorite.

Shawn

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best."

~ Live Well ~ Love Much ~ Laugh Often ~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srtrn/sets/

Posts: 3564 | Location: WV | Registered: Dec 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Beautiful quilt, the colors are so calming. Great job!
Would love to see others done from the same swap.

Posts: 638 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ambher
posted Hide Post
That is just beautiful, makes me want to curl up in it . . . great job! Now I want to try one like that.

Posts: 212 | Location: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does it make you want to do another shabby string block swaps?!?! Wink
I know that it makes ME want to be in a swap!! Big Grin

Hey Angela~ we are finishing up the current string block swap and then I'll start a new one. Smile Hope you think about joining us in the next round! Wink

Posts: 10448 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Absolutely YUMMY! Reminds me that I have some shabbies from a swap in the past - must track them down and get busy. Those purples always talk to me. ;-)

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1925 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of asimplelife
posted Hide Post
Thank you ALL for your wonderful comments! I'm going to put this on my trundle bed in the guest room so I can admire it every time I walk by.

Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! So happy you finally got it done and can enjoy it. I just found one of those big plastic comforter (zip bags) filled to the brim with shabby chic strings that I had cut up when we were making our blocks. Guess I need to get busy and start another set of blocks only this time for a quilt and not purses. Love your quilt!

"She said she usually cried at least one each day, not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short"

www.CQnickilee.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyladie/sets/
www.RavioleeDreams.Etsy.com - Holidays laces and more! are ready! 11/2013

Posts: 10244 | Location: In the Crazy land of Crazy Quilting, MA | Registered: Dec 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltnanny
posted Hide Post
Oh my, Your quilt is soooo pretty. Luv it...

Posts: 4405 | Location: Fabricologist Resource Center, NH | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
What a pretty quilt! I made a shabby chic string quilt a few years ago and sent it to my aunt. I thought she'd like that better than a pink ribbon quilt.

Glad you've put it where you'll enjoy seeing it as you walk by. Smile Those soft colors are so cheerful.

Posts: 3544 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of angelinamor
posted Hide Post
Crazy',

I watch for the next string block swap. Thanks!

Posts: 602 | Location: colorado | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post