Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  SunShine Quilters - 2014 Participation Sign-ups
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SunShine Quilters - 2014 Participation Sign-ups Sign In/Join 
Picture of Elainetoo
posted
Have altered the title to this thread what was "SunShine Quiltes - 2014 Participation? ". We are a go for 2014..

So.. whether you are currently participating as a block maker, a hostess, or are interested in helping out the hostesses, please let me know in reply to this thread if you want to actively participate in 2014.. and if you want to be a hostess.

And hostesses, if you want to expound on what you were able to make this year and your charity to info others of how this has helped you.. please do so.

I will be sending a PM to each person who signs up to get the pertinent info before the holidays when it gets really crazy for all of us. Thank you.

======== For new board members - here's brief on what we're about ==========

Welcome to the Sunshine Quilters - our Website is listed at the bottom of this note. Our mission is to bring SunShine into the life of our receivers.

Each member is asked to make one or more blocks for the assigned hostess each month. The hostess then assembles and donates quilts to the charity of their choice. The required monthly blocks are listed in the blog below.

SunShine Quilters:
http://quilterssunshine.blogspot.com

SunShine Photos:
http://s1282.photobucket.com/a...40/SunshineQuilters/ (sorry only a few pictures received this year - and I haven't posted them yet.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 8198 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charmingsister
posted Hide Post
Elaine,

I would like to see this continue, though it is quite discouraging to see how few people actually participate by making a couple of blocks a month.

The hostesses are able to get a little help with their charitable projects. As a block maker, I get to make a block and perhaps use some colors I would not normally do. It stretches me a bit. And if I absolutely hate making a particular block, well, I don't ever have to make another. Win/Win in my opinion.

I hope we get some good response. And thank you for working to keep us on track each month.

Posts: 2598 | Location: now in the sunshine | Registered: Oct 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fayejean
posted Hide Post
I second what Charmingsister said. I have enjoyed making blocks that I otherwise would not have made.
As hostess of a month for several years I have received many beautiful blocks. I have made seven baby quilts using blocks that were sent to me and I have enough still to make about three more. I donated the quilts to: A local homeless shelter that had a client with newborn twins. Our Corner Health Center that works with under age 21 pregnant girls. I also gave two to our local Quilts for Kids chapter.
This is example what can be done with just a little effort.

Posts: 526 | Location: MI | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
If enough people want to continue to host, I will make blocks. I'm not always able to send blocks every month. To make up for that I try to make more than one when I can. My guild does group charity quilts so I don't have time to host.

Posts: 6641 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
My goal is to continue to make blocks for the hostesses. Working full-time makes it tough for me to host a month, but I can make a block or 2 each month!

Posts: 4719 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Back to the top to catch weekend only readers..

Anyone new interested in participating?

Posts: 8198 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of terrimae
posted Hide Post
I am hopeful this will continue, too. If it does, I would like to host a month. I am able to add blocks of my own to what is sent to me, and make quilts which are then donated to Veterans in Hospice Care.

Posts: 1854 | Location: East Coast | Registered: Dec 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Possibly. How much does it cost to mail a block (roughly)?

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Quilter Jen.. of course the pricing keeps changing, but depending on the size and number of blocks sent... think the most I spent last year on one mailing was $2.69 - that was for 2 12" blocks.

Thank you for replies received.

Picture of San
posted Hide Post
hi,

i have not been able to participate since last year.. but would like to see this continue.. i know it is lots of work for ElaineToo at times, thank you Elaine for taking over from the last leader..

reason i can not participate is the postage and the variety of fabrics.. lots of times i dont have them on hand..

if finances were to change i would love to start participating again..

Hugs, Waves, Smiles, & Prayers

God bless you all and may sunshine always be in your lives to brighten your days..

San

Posts: 4227 | Location: OR | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it only costs a couple of dollars to send blocks, I am hoping to contribute next year. Again, I like trying new blocks I might not make for myself, but can make for others!

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Thank you ladies. When you can participate it is always appreciated.

Mailing costs are a concern. I know my blocks probably arrive needing lots of ironing - cause I try to use the smallest envelope and flatten them as much s possible for cheapest postage.

As mentioned, not always having the hostess' requested color scheme is a factor in participation. If you can't do a month because of that, don't let it stop you from doing a block for another hostess when you can.

Looks like we have interest, hopefully we'll get some more new people also. At the end of the month I'll send a PM with info request.

Happy Sewing everyone.

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I've been watching this thread for a couple of years now & would like to participate in 2014 (will committ on a year to year basis). The blocks will be from my stash so I (like others here) may not be able to make a block each month due to lack of colors in my stash that are requested but will do the best I can. Also, I have a hard time making 12 1/2" squares to finish at 12 1/2" so this will not only be a rewarding project for me to participate in but also a challenge. Maybe the more 12 1/2" blocks I make the better I will get. I love charity quilts but can't make many because of finances but this is an excellent way to meet my need to help by giving in a small way. Thanks for continuing this & thanks to all who are so committed to such a wonderful gift to those in need.

ETA: Will the hostess tell us if the fabric needs to be pre-washed? I normally do not pre-wash my fabric but will if it's the request of the hostess.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nlk,

Nicki

Posts: 8506 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
nlk, thank you for joining us.

Yes, so far there is only one hostess that has specifically said that she needs pre-washed in her requirements. You can assume it won't matter to the other hostesses whether they're pre-washed or not.

You can get an idea of requirements by looking at the 2013 schedule on the blog link below.

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Elaine, I studied the blogspot yesterday & think I can surely do this. I've been wanting to do another BOM & this will be a perfect project to fill that want in my life right now. What could be better than to make a BOM and donate it to a charity quilt...a win/win situation for me! I'm looking forward to this new project in 2014. I hope more from this board join in.

Nicki

Posts: 8506 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gonesewin
posted Hide Post
I think I would like in on this Smile I can most definitely make a block or two each month.

If anyone needs any batting or backing please let me know. I will be happy to help out with that! Perhaps later in the year I will host?

“May God give you...For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer.”

http://www.qovf.org/index.html

Posts: 5203 | Location: Loriland | Registered: Feb 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Marie and I used to participate in hostessing and making blocks back about 7 or 8 years ago. Then I started doing the RMH raffles and did not have time to dedicate to both charities. I no longer am doing the RMH raffles so I think I shall join back in here.

I was wondering what happened to the initial info of how this group actually got started. It used to be on the website with photos going way back of quilts people had donated. I haven't looked in a long while and was surprised that it was not on the blog.

You can put me down as a hostess and block maker.

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25891 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I did this a few years ago - before I went back to full-time. Now that I will be retired (one month to go) I had planned on participating once again. I will only have the work that will continue with DH business so will have more time to do these types of things. I do miss doing them. I do hope it continues.

If there is an issue with colors, etc. of fabrics in your stash I may be able to help out. I have to scale down some since I've outgrown the storage units I promised myself I would stay within (hasn't happened).

There are a couple of women from work that plan on coming for "lessons" periodically. When I did this with another coworker I had her work on the blocks that were requested for this project. I would love to be able to have these two new women do the same. It was a really good learning tool and helped out the charities at the same time. Win-win in my book.

Posts: 6691 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Thanks ladies, welcome back.

Quiltaholic - the old photos that I was given are connected to the blog. On the Photos tab there is a link to the albums - click on the Older Quilts Album.. they're unsorted cause I didn't have dates for them.

Any you're right on the history.. Use to have that on the boards thread and have removed that. You caught me out.. grin... one of those things I was going to do with what little info I had. Still struggling on learning how to do the blog since I don't do it very often. Thanks for the reminder.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
If those older albums had been a snake they would have bitten me. Thanks for pointing those out to me. It is good to go back to see past works by this group. Several years and still going strong.

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25891 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Looks like we're a go for 2014. So I'll be sending individual PM's to each of you (any any further people signing up) for pertinent info.

Thanks all.

Keep using this thread for 2014 signups...

posted Hide Post
I answered your PM, I haven't been on the board much so missed the initial post. I echo what has been said...some of the blocks and colors have stretched my comfort zone. If I don't have a color in my stash a couple fqs in requested them takes care of several blocks and postage hasn't ever been more than $2, and sometimes only a dollar. Blocks have been made into quilts for RMH, a couple are going to KC for the reservation, several quilts have gone to Project Linus, QOV and Matthew Ministries. There are so many organizations requesting help.

Posts: 841 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
TTT

Glad to see we have returning and new participants for next year.

The 2014 schedule has been started on the blog below. If anyone wants to host a month to receive blocks for quilts for their charity, please let me know the particulars for posting. ou can look at the 2013 schedule to get an idea of info needed.

posted Hide Post
I will be happy to participate in 2014 sending blocks.
ajne

Posts: 109 | Registered: Sep 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sent a PM in reply.

I can see these blocks being great leader/enders while working on other projects, then sending the blocks for good uses!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Welcome ajne, a pm heading your way.

Added 2 new hostesses for next year. The schedule is coming together - still lots of room for hosting a month. Even a month where you don't have to make the block - just send fabric..

See the schedule on the 2014 tab on the blog below.

Picture of pandibear
posted Hide Post
I would love to make blocks for 2014. Count me in!!

Andi

Posts: 305 | Location: Iowa and Missouri | Registered: Jul 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to make blocks please. Could I host for May maybe? I would collect for Project Linus quilts. Any kid friendly block finishing at 12 inches. Any kid friendly fabrics-prints or solids or anything in between works for me.

THANKS!

Karen

This message has been edited. Last edited by: May Baby,

Posts: 691 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see several months with red, white, blue fabrics (patriotic). For someone who loves R/W/B, I have a very limited supply of "scraps" only so I'm going to get to go fabric shopping before the end of the year. YAY!!! Big Grin

Nicki

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
pandibear and May Baby welcome. A PM has been sent to you.

nlk... yeah I like r/w/b also.. did some shopping this summer when patriotics were on sale for 50% off.

Picture of BetsyLu65
posted Hide Post
I'd like to help with sending blocks out each month. It'll be fun and help me with learning.

BetsyLu65 Wink

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Wayne, In | Registered: Aug 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
nlk - the best sales are in December Smile

Posts: 6691 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Well then, I can't wait for December!

Nicki

Picture of CQwannabe
posted Hide Post
I will try to partcipate making blocks. Just looked at the blog 2014 list of blocks.

Posts: 2736 | Location: Libertyville IL | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Susan-TN
posted Hide Post
I'd like to make blocks as well. Just sent a PM with a few questions.

Happy Stitching All!
Susan

Posts: 665 | Location: East TN | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I would like to join in for 2014. I would like to sign up as both a block maker and a hostess. Can I have June? This would be a good summer project while my Mom is here. 12" finished blocks, Arrowhead Puzzle, any shades of yellow. We will make quilts for the local Project Linus.

San - since we live so close, I could mail your blocks with mine. I will send you a pm.

Posts: 2909 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Welcome to new members! It will be good to have some more people making blocks.

headielamar, may I make a suggestion? If you want your blocks to work on in June, you should host a month or two earlier than that. Some of us don't get our blocks in the mail until late in the month.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pvillelou,

posted Hide Post
Headielamar- I currently have April, but I am flexible, so if you want April you can have it so you have your blocks in time for June.

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
I will do blocks each month. Sign me up!

Posts: 2063 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Elaine,

If we make more than one block for the hostess during a month, do you know if it is better to make the blocks from the same fabric or would it be better to use a completely different fabric?

Nicki

Picture of San
posted Hide Post
hi Everyone,

Headielamar has offered to mail mine with hers..

so i can join as long as you folks dont mind me only doing the ones i have fabrics on hand for..

i have missed this group lots since i had to leave..

so add me for making blocks..

it might help me teach the 2 1/2 yr old a little about sewing also..

God bless you all and may sunshine always be in your lives to brighten your days..

San

Posts: 4227 | Location: OR | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
WOW! How wonderful A lot of activity here. Let's see if I can cover it all since my last posting.

BetsyLu65, Chlynn1129, CQwannabe, headielamar, Susan-TN, - welcome a PM is on it's way to you.

San welcome back and we don't want this to be a hardship for anyone .. it's suppose to be fun at the same time as helpful. So doing blocks for months you have fabric for is much appreciated.

nlk - depending on how many blocks a hostess gets, she can sometimes do more then one quilt - so she can separate 'duplicate' fabric blocks if she doesn't want them in the same quilt. It is up to you as to what you are able to do from your fabric selection. I've done all different and some duplicates, just depending on what was available to me.

Susan TN - going to respond to your PM here for everyone's benefit. The responsibility of a hostess is simple.. determine which block (some say Quilter's choice) and color theme, what charity the finished quilt will go to. Then it is important to post on the monthly thread when you get blocks from anyone, and to post pictures of the final quilts. Sometimes it months later that the quilts get finished - that's OK - just important to post so that people know their blocks were used and, of course, we all want to see finished quilts.

headielamar - first thanks for helping San come back to the group. Second, pvillelou made a good point if you really want to do them a specific month. See that Quilter Jen has offered to give you April and I'm also flexible with February. ..

We only have Aug and Dec left to fill - so I'll tentatively block Dec for whichever month you take. And I believe that another newbie will take the Aug month. WOW filled already!

Think I answered all questions - now off to the PM's to get those going. AND to verify I gave 1st requests to hostesses.. and didn't miss any requests.

Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post
I had to drop out of making blocks this year, but now I'm going back to my quilting so I'd like to rejoin the group.
I was never a hostess, but I made blocks every month for years for others.
I remember sending out a single block in a #10 envelope for less than a buck so don't despair at the cost and two blocks in a #10 envelope for about $1.29 at the time. You don't need to use the heavy wt or larger envelopes. Just neatly fold into a regular #10 and tape the end of the flap shut so it doesn't pop open during transit. You pay only for actual weight plus a bit extra for thickness this way.

ElaineToo, add me back to the list. I await your PM to me.

Have a Good Day!

Posts: 13310 | Location: Southwestern Maine Zone 5 U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of San
posted Hide Post
im thinking i will make Galaxy Star 9" block for JAnuary.. R/W/B patriotic colors..

http://www.quilterscache.com/G/GalaxyStarBlock.html

now to find fabrics.. gotta get a head start since im babysitting 13 hour days during the week..

San

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Quiltbea - welcome back.. PM coming.

San, sounds like a nice block to send to aliquilt for Jan.

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Ladies - thanks for the offers to switch months but June works great for me. When my parents come up they stay four to five months to get out of the heat in Arizona. They arrive mid to late May so by picking June Mom will be here for all phases of the project.

Posts: 2909 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of San
posted Hide Post
Headielamar, i just looked at pattern and colors for Dec.. do you want all the fabrics shades of yellow (dark, medium, light) or just the background shades of yellow?

not sure if i have many yellows, but will look..

San

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I have another question. If we finish blocks before the month do we hold them & send them to the hostess during her month or do we send them ahead of time? I ask this because I already have July 2014's done. Big Grin Just call me an over-achiever!

Nicki

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
nlk - over achiever for sure.

I'd at least wait until after the first of the year...

I do send ahead of time if I'm going to be away or things are going to get really busy. I don't think any hostess will object to getting blocks a month of 2 ahead of time.

Since my winter months are my sewing months - I usually get them all done then, put them in envelopes and file them for mailing at the appropriate time.

I moved a couple people around that didn't request a specific month so that headielamar could have June.

ALL MONTHS HAVE HOSTESSES!!! Think that's the earliest ever. I will update the file as we go with any additional info from the hostesses.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Nicki, that's funny about being an overacheiver! Did it take very long? I'm not speaking for other hostesses, but I will accept "blocks" anytime.