Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  anyone own brother sewing and quilting machine?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone own brother sewing and quilting machine? Sign In/Join 
Picture of owie
posted
I think that is what it is called. DH saw them for $199.00 today and Walmart and thought I needed to get one. The grandchildren would use it when they visit. Anyone know anything about them and their durability or should I just hold on to my money?

Posts: 15307 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
They use Brother machines on Project Runway. They take a lot of abuse. I think it would be a great machine for the GKD's to use. I think I would research on the prices though.

BTW-any update on Kinzie and Karen?

PamSmile

Posts: 5796 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Almost everyone in my charity group uses the Brother CS--6000i. They are light, durable and inexpensive. Also, it comes with loads of accessories. I have had mine for almost 4 years and no problems. When I first bought it was $239, now on Amazon they are $139, Walmart.com $189. Great little machine and very user friendly Smile

Posts: 710 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother is about 8 years old now and has never given me a problem. Does a beautiful stitch and is fairly quiet.

Posts: 79 | Location: North-west Nebraska | Registered: Aug 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
I bought my daughter one for probably a hundred bucks 20-25 years ago, worked wonderfully until a couple of years ago grand daughter dropped it at school... tension thingie broke, took it to repair and was told ilt would be cheaper to buy a new one.. soo she got exact same one at garage sale for $30. and works great. Not with many fancy stitches. but works for what I and she does.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have the CS6000i, and like it very much. Lightweight, 60 stitches, snap on feet, and it even comes with a table that fits the free arm. Got mine used about 7 years ago. I've seen them as low as $100 at WalMart and on line. My only problem is it's very sensitive to lint and I have to clean out the bobbin/feed dog area frequently when it skips stitches. Trying to use up some Coats and Clarks thread from a few years ago. I can't see spending a lot of money on modern machines that are full of plastic gears and sensitive circuit boards. I'm partial to the old cast iron machines for plain stitching, but love the versatility and light weight of the Brother.

Posts: 419 | Registered: Jan 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I have 2 brothers and use them both. I took one with me on the plane when I went to Branson,Mo. I checked it through with my lugage. The only problem I had was a broken bobbin. I'm very happy with my 2 brothers.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3507 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although I don't have that model, my Brother is 12 years old and has been very user friendly and trouble free.

Posts: 627 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: Apr 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Got the SQ9050 this summer from Walmart for $199 to take to COF. Haven't used it much as it is a backup machine. Definitely like the button hole attachment, it has a different sound then my Viking and a different feel - but happy with it.

Will be using it for awhile now to get use to it while my main machine is in for repair.

Posts: 8044 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the grandkids may be getting another machine. Two of them like to sew and only one has a machine. Thanks so much for the reviews. Much appreciated.

Posts: 15307 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ljptexas
posted Hide Post
I have had my Brother D270 for several yrs. It is a workhorse but would like to upgrade to 1 that connects to internet. I no longer want the Disney designs, my DGK have outgrown them & the cards are expensive. It embroiders beautifully.

Posts: 124 | Location: NE of Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Brothers one from wal mart and another just emb machine and the other one I use on my gracy frame and I love all 3 but have to got to far from where I live to have serviced but really do love sewing and embing with them

" Prayer is for the soul what nourishments is for the body."

Posts: 872 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Definitely a good machine for the grandchildren. I bought one when the girls were much younger and they both learned on it. It's still a part of my sewing area for when they come here - and sometimes when my main machine gets persnickety or I attend a class.

Posts: 6550 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
Bought a "Project Runway" model at Walmart on sale for about $100. It is so light weight and sewed wonderfully. Had tons of stitches on it. I loved it, and thought it a great machine. I gave it to my DIL who wanted to learn to sew. Now I understand it sits in a box at her Mother's house. I would love to get my machine back, but will not ask. (sigh)

Posts: 278 | Location: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jul 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sara, tell her you need to "borrow " it back while your Pfaff is in the shop! Then you can forget to return it unless she asks for it.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Smoky Mountains TN | Registered: Oct 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
LOL, now NW that is a good plan! I just might try it. Thanks for the idea!

Posts: 278 | Location: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jul 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
from

I did exactly in a similar situation, not with a Brother but an old Kenmore that worked just fine. I wanted a friend's daughter to be able to sew since she indicated an interested. But I noted that that didn't last too long. So I asked to borrow it back, she said she thought it was only a loan in the first place. She did get her grandmother's sewing machine when she passed, so I got my machine back and she has a good White machine.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
I have the one from Walmart and love it! IF you are going to use it for the grandkids I would say it is money well spent. I found it easy to use, it is quiet and doesn't jump all over the place. Has a nice speed control on it too. Light weight but still sturdy.

Posts: 519 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post