Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Do you know the name of this quilt pattern?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know the name of this quilt pattern? Sign In/Join 
Picture of JudyTX
posted
I saw this quilt at a show in Canton, TX back in 2005 (it's on the pic). I've always liked it and now I have red/wht and dk. royal blue/white matching bandana print and want to put WOW with it and make it for DGD for Christmas.

Now--if I am in violation of any copyright laws here, someone please let me know STAT.

Posts: 2485 | Location: EastTX | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I don't know the name of the pattern but I sure do like it. It just looks like "me". Wink...stars & red, white & blue. It's beautiful!

Nicki

Posts: 7924 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Very neat quilt~ I can visualize how it is made with flying geese blocks set on point the stars formed in the sashing, but no idea whose pattern it is... good luck!

Posts: 10447 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Is this the quilt?

Posts: 7011 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
If I drew it correctly it's a very simple two block quilt. No copyright infringement on these old fashioned blocks.

Now I can go to bed. I've been coloring on a piece of graph paper until I figured out what the blocks looked like. But Crazy... may be right, the blocks might be done a fancier way to make it a sellable pattern.

Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
That's how I would say it is made also. Very simple to do but looks complicated once
put together. Good job on the graphics.

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1712 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
Wow, Evelyn, you rock. You make it look easy! lol

Posts: 397 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Wow Evelyn, you are the best! Now what about deminsions of the blocks & sizes of pieces? How about the whole pattern here for us? I love this quilt and want to make it someday.

JudyTX, I'm really glad you took a picture of it back in 2005...THANKS!

Nicki

Posts: 7924 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Awesome Evelyn. You must be a math whiz!

Posts: 9458 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted Hide Post
it sure is a good looking layout!

Posts: 11810 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome pattern...Evelyn you rock...Thanks Judy...

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9903 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I don't know the name, but I think "Stars and Stripes" would be a good one!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16495 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JudyTX
posted Hide Post
Evelyn,
You've got it, Girl !!!!!!!!!

One of my quilter friends and I have been working with it using 3.5 x 6.5 strips and sewing 3.5 sqs. to make the star points. Your drawing makes it so much easier to see.

To be honest, both of us were trying to cut out some seams, and your drawing does that.

Thank you so very much. I'm sorry you lost sleep over this. You have my permission to take a nap today.

Thanks again for all your work and help.

Posts: 2485 | Location: EastTX | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Evelyn, would you come to my house and teach ME how to use EQ like you do? I can do basics, but it takes me forever.

That is a beautiful quilt. I may have to save that layout for myself! Thanks so much for the effort.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6220 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuntJo
posted Hide Post
Evelyn that's terrific. you got it

This would be a nice quilt to make.

Hi Judy !!

Posts: 4298 | Location: N.Y., USA | Registered: May 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
Yayy, Evelyn!!

You know, if you tilt your head to the right, this looks cool on point, with the red and white mountains going across from side to side, and the star crosses standing up tall. And if you tilt your had to the left, it looks like red and white rickrack running down lengthwise.

Posts: 4369 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Great job Evelyn! I didn't even think to try drawing it in EQ. LOL Those diagonals just jumped out at me, but I like blocks much better. Wink

Posts: 10447 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Yeah for me! It was embarassing not to see it sooner. When a photo is really high res I can see the seams and see the blocks quicker. This one sure has a great optical illusion. I did go to bed SO late. Then when I woke up early I looked outside to see we were covered with snow!? It was in the 90's this weekend. I thought I was still dreaming.

As far as size, you could do whatever you wanted. But it would be easier if the block is divisible by 4. For example you could make 8" stars, 12" stars, 16" stars, etc. If you make a 9 inch star, you'd be using 2 3/4" cuts for the rails.

I love Electric Quilt. I used a piece of graph paper and coloring pencils to shade sections until I could separate the pieces to get two blocks or blocks with sashings. It's a beautiful quilt and I would love to make it. Wouldn't it be a fun swap? Everyone could make one star and one rail block for participants. I really love scrappy quilts and have a hard time making them scrappy enough. Today I saw a gorgeous red and gray quilt. The reason it was a knockout was her reds ran from dark red to orange red and hot pink. The grays went to muddy orchid to dull avocado. It had a glow to it!

This was a fun challenge! I tried to find it on the Internet but never found another photo of it. The date looks like it's written in the European form so it might be foreign?

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! What a knockout! Evelyn, you're super! Smile

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8414 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Farm Girl:
Evelyn, would you come to my house and teach ME how to use EQ like you do? I can do basics, but it takes me forever.

That is a beautiful quilt. I may have to save that layout for myself! Thanks so much for the effort.

I agree Sue, and reckon that would be a good class for a retreat Smile I putz about with mine but it takes me ages...one of these days...lol

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7022 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quilts"R"Fun
posted Hide Post
Judy/TX...I haven't seen you on here in quite a while! I was just thinking about you the other day and some of the others from CFQG. How have you been? I have no idea what the quilt is called, but it looks like it has been well covered!

Posts: 7902 | Location: In a big heaping pile of awesome fabrics! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JudyTX
posted Hide Post
Hi Janice,
LindaTX and I were talking about you at the Tyler quilt show a couple wks. ago and neither of us could remember your last name until I came home and got online(I have the old master CFQG member list saved on here). We had seen a quilt like one you made for one of the CFQG shows--appliqued child's quilt. Yours was much prettier and more memorable. And that's the truth.

Also saw a "Hi" from Aunt Jo. Hi Joann. I'm sorry I didn't "speak" in return before now. I have a part-time job as events coordinator for the Woodmen Lodge building. Some of these gals will remember the CFQG Thanksgiving dinners we have had there in the past. BUT--it is far from a part-time thing. It's already booked solid until Aug. 17th.

If you click on my Flickr photo album link in my sig and look at the first pic, that's what I'm working on right now--one of them, anyway. This quilt is from left-overs. The HSTs are from Susan's "Spice Island" quilt in 2010 and the varied color sashings are from a TOT zig-zag quilt I did for youngest son, Paul----could have been the same year. I've tried to take a pic of everyone's Christmas quilts down through the years and still think I have missed some.

Now, I'm ready to start cutting the strips to make Bailey's quilt like is pictured on this thread. It will be red and blue bandana print instead of the stars.

Well, since I haven't learned to not be such a blabber-mouth, I'm going to follow my thoughts for now and try to find a box of blocks and fabs to finish more for DGD-2 that I got out of my DR so I could get the place fixed for Christmas. Thought I would be getting back to making 7 quilts for this Christmas. Work got in the way until mid-March and now, I can't find it.

And, with that, I'm outta' here. LOL

Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
I love this pattern! Evelyn it's so cool that you and other ladies can do such amazing things and help all of us. It's one of the reasons I love this forum!!!

PamSmile

Posts: 5698 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quilts"R"Fun
posted Hide Post
JudyTX...which applique quilt are you referring to? I've made so many...

Posts: 7902 | Location: In a big heaping pile of awesome fabrics! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JudyTX
posted Hide Post
Janice,
The quilt has wooly sheep on it. I'd have to login on the CFQG message board to check the photo albums year by year to know which quilt show it was in.

I'm not in CFQG any more, but I can still get in on the MB there. And, before I resigned, I put links to each separate year's show pics.

Picture of Quilts"R"Fun
posted Hide Post
JudyTX...I know which one you're talking about. I made two different ones. One was a baby quilt in grey, black & white. The other one was a larger quilt that I used red borders with grey, black & white checkerboard blocks with the sheep randomly placed. I got that pattern from Quiltmaker magazine. I can't remember which issue, but I know I still have it.