Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Sew & Tell 7-10-14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sew & Tell 7-10-14 Sign In/Join 
posted
This is our weekly sharing thread. Tell us what you've finished, what you're working on- we'll cheer you on!

I have to get to it, DD#3 wants me to bring her a new rice bag!

Who's sewing?
Holly

Posts: 3017 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
Here is my son's wedding quilt. Diamond Double Wedding Ring

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1776 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Wow Sew Happy! Your quilt is stunning!

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9604 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
SewHappy, your quilt is awesome! Are those appliqued or pieced or quilted circles sewn together? I can't find anything about that pattern online. Inquiring minds...

Posts: 7581 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
Wow!! What a beautiful quilt!!

Posts: 460 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It's all pieced. It is a Shar Jorgenson pattern

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

Posts: 1776 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
I agree with "WOW"! What a work of love!

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7548 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
That double wedding ring is gorgeous. And it's an optical tricker! As I glance at it I see red around each ring, but it's just the binding and the 'star' connectors that are red. Such a pretty quilt!!!!!

Posts: 17384 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaribbeanQuilter
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous quilt! Magnificent!

Posts: 614 | Registered: Jul 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful wedding quilt you made for your son & new bride. It is absolutely gorgeous & I know they will love it all the days of their lives. It would have taken me a lifetime to make something like that. TFS

Nicki

Posts: 8510 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful. My daughter is getting married next year. I have no ideas in my head for her.

J Lu

Posts: 1145 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sew Happy, The quilt you made is a treasure. That pattern looks very challenging. Congratulations on a job well done.

Posts: 1212 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I turn 65 in August. What would I like for a present? I do believe in giving myself gifts for big celebrations. I've wanted to make Shakespeare in the Park for my king size bed for several years. I decided this would be my special gift and that I'd make it in July. Today I finished the last blocks and I'm sewing the blocks into rows. My stars have the points but I've lost some on the Snail's Trails. (I measured two of the triangles wrong when cutting them out.) But this is my quilt and I love the variety of scraps. No one to judge it so it'll be okay. I want to get it set together tomorrow so I can start quilting it. Of course, I don't have a backing fabric yet. Minor detail! It'll look much better after I pin the rows together and get them stitched. It's much too large for my design wall.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EvelynB,

Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
I really like your quilt!! Where would I find that pattern? I'm working on cutting up my scraps into useable sizes and I was going to do a Snails Trail out of flannels. This is a much more interesting design than just snails trail.

Great job and Happy Birthday next month!!

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
Sew Happy - Gorgeous. What a wonderful quilt and I know they will love it.

EvelynB - That one is on my list as well. I love your colors and I can't wait to see it finished. Fabulous! I can't believe how quickly you're getting it done.

I have started the very definition of insanity - Bonnie Hunter's Ocean Waves quilt. There are more HST than I care to count. But I'll plug along one at a time. Smile

There are seven days in a week and Someday isn't one of them.

GO RAVENS!!!

Posts: 4105 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Love the scrappy purple hues!

Eta: At first glance I thought the Wedding Ring quilt was from a Cheryl Phillips where you make the circle, then sew the circles together with straight lines. You didn't go the "easy" route, did you? Big Grin Beautiful

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wildcatmom,

~karen Wave

Posts: 3300 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
Patty, great job on your son's wedding quilt!

Evelyn, you have really been a busy beaver with those blocks! How will you do the border?

Devonne

Posts: 15001 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
My quilt is from Judy Martin's book The Creative Patterns. I bought the book but after seeing another quilt like this one I changed the stars and made it king size. Since it's 121" square I'm not going to make a border. I'm working on setting triangles and sewing the rows together. I've got it about 1/3 done. I oversized the setting triangles so I can trim it up later. I need to get some backing fabric.

Here's a similar design I saw online. Looks like a great way to use some orphan blocks. The consistent strong colors are in the Snail's Trails. I have a set of blocks I'd love to use this way.

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Look how gorgeous this very scrappy version is. Looks like most fabrics would work. Found online...NOT my quilt.

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
There's so many beautiful variations with Snail Trail.

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Last one.I have a set of 4-patch tesselations that would be gorgeous for the centers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EvelynB,

posted Hide Post
A quilt for Project Linus-my little quilter, 8 year old DGD helped design-block placement and borders.

Karen

Posts: 691 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new clothes made for the same DGD's stuffed leopard-Lily.

Karen

Posts: 691 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
How fun! Wish I had a little girl to sew for. For years our Salvation Army bought dolls and volunteers sewed for them. I crocheted and sewed hundreds of outfits. Loved it so much! Did you also make the cute leopard?

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Neat things this week.

Not much sewing as I spent most of Saturday in the ER with DH. In the hospital now, so just here briefly to post a few things. Sure hope I cn get some sewing done next week... Chris

Posts: 6315 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Chris,
ER is no fun and neither is hospital sitting. I hope DH is improving.

posted Hide Post
We got the leopard at the local zoo. She got to stuff it herself. I didn't make it but have made critters before. They are fun to make. May have to dig those patterns out. I used a pattern for Cabbage Patch doll clothes for these two outfits. She has chosen more fabric for another outfit.

Karen

This message has been edited. Last edited by: May Baby,

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
You're a good grandma, Karen. This is how great memories are made. Her friends will be so jealous. You may get wrangled into making them some clothes too.

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Time for bed. I got the rows sewn together. In fact three rows got to be sewn twice. I got the joy of ripping them out after seeing blocks turned around. Going shopping for backing tomorrow. Yeah!

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to EvelynB and SewHappy on such gorgeous tops. I wish I had the stamina to work on such beauties. Well done and I have to say that I do love that scrappy version too Evelyn!

Posts: 9629 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks EvelynB. Your quilt is gorgeous too. As are the other pictures-I forgot to comment when I posted my pictures.
Karen

Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
thank you Evelyn for posting all the pictures. I sure like that quilt pattern. Yours looks great all sewn together also.

Are the blocks 12"?

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Yes, the blocks are 12". The small stars are 6" so it all fits together nicely and any star would work.

Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Evelyn, I think I can figure it out without the pattern. I'll make a block here and there and maybe someday I'll have a finished quilt.

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
You're right, Patti. The book is great but I used EQ7 to draw the blocks. The diagonal setting and rotating the Snail's Trails is the key. I didn't use my book since I had EQ. I just looked at examples and chose my own stars.

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
This is what I have been working on all last week. 2 doll quilts and 2 reuseable (green) bags. I think that making doll quilts is a great way to try out patterns to see if I want to make up a bigger quilt from it. The bags is a great way to use up some of my spare blocks.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3602 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
The first of my 2 doll quilts

Handie Ann

Posts: 3602 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
And the last on of my doll quilts

Handie Ann

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Handie Ann,
Love those bags! So gorgeous and clever. Let's the world know you're a quilter. Those quilts are too beautiful to be given to a child. They're works of art to display.

Picture of Twostep
posted Hide Post
Made this for my greatGD. She loves loves dresses.

Posts: 6797 | Location: Bubbleland | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I have to go look at all the completed projects but I made a skirt from a 2 metre piece of batik directly from Bali. You add the knit to the waist to make it pull on and it's maxi, and has a side slit. It's a Simplicity pattern.

Posts: 9629 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Here's the band: easiest skirt yet.