Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gift Idea Sign In/Join 
Picture of paus4quilts
posted
Looking for something for those that have everything or probably can get it before you think about it? I have been.

I came across these baskets in the searchings of my craft files. It was posted by Cindyj168, 22 Mar 08.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: paus4quilts,

Posts: 6034 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
The instructions.

A friend showed me how to make them and I don't know where she got the idea.

Materials required:
2 - 10 1/2" squares of coordinating fabric
1 – 10 1/2" square of a heavy fusable interfacing. Do not use timtex or peltex.

Instructions:
Fuse interfacing to the fabric that will be on the outside of your basket/dish. Stitch fabric & lining fabric right sides together leaving a 3" opening. (I added some piping into the seam or some lace would look nice too, but you don't need to add anything). Turn, press and stitch opening shut.

Fold square in half and stitch sides up 2 1/2" angling from 3/4" wide seam to nothing. Open square and fold in half the other way and stitch sides 2 1/2" angling from 3/4" wide seam to nothing.

Turn dish right side out and turn down points.

Add buttons or other embellishment to tack the points down. Bottom measures 5 1/2" square.

Great to use holiday fabrics or crazy quilt victorian would look nice also. Hope you can understand my directions. I can show you better than I can explain it. It's quite simple really. If this isn't clear, I will try to get some pictures for you to see better. You can make them bigger or smaller by adjusting the size of your starting square. They are quick & easy and make great gifts. Have fun!!

---Thanx, again, Cindyj

This message has been edited. Last edited by: paus4quilts,

Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
I have seen them before, but can't remember where.

Devonne

Posts: 14987 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Perhaps here, Dee. I copied the pattern from a prior member's thread back in 2008.

Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted Hide Post
I made some last year, in cotton, as thread catchers. But those look so beautiful!

http://needlingthings.blogspot...-thread-catcher.html

Posts: 11812 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
Downsouth, could you be thinking of the thread catchers Will Quilt for Chocolate showed us in August of 2011? They are a smaller version made without stiffener - cute as the dickens. Smile

Martha

Posts: 7144 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bunnybcb
posted Hide Post
I made one of these I guess it must have been in 2005-2006. I got the instructions from this MB, and made it to match DGD's curtains, pillows, etc. it turned out really nice, but I lost the directions and haven't made any since.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the good reports. Kids in AK just remodeled their bedroom and I was looking for some boxes, trays I could make to hold the coins, keys, etc we empty from our pockets. Thought this would be good for the DDIL.

Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
Not only will those be nice to use, they will pack well to get them there!

Madelyn

Posts: 6169 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try and copy/paste the instructions you posted. It would be perfect for my DM's table next to her chair since they are on the smaller size. Thank you!

Well shoot - I can't get the pictures. Ever since one of the last changes the board made - lost the printer friendly version option and the copy/paste doesn't work near as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: royalboomer,

Posts: 6628 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
I'm having the same problem about saving the photos also. So now I go the extra step and click on the photo, click on 'Save image' and file it in my photo file temporarily.

I copy the text to Word, and then 'insert' the photo in its' place. Little extra work, like I said but it works.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Paus!
I was looking for a little key basket for my Mom. This is perfect. I know I have this pattern (or one similar) on my computer, but it's so much easier when it's right in front of me!

Posts: 841 | Location: MI | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of char77
posted Hide Post
This would look a LOT better than my plastic margarine tub thread catcher!! Thanks!
And I'll make one for my mom for her keys near the front door.

Char

Posts: 3653 | Location: michigan | Registered: Sep 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paus, I made 21 of your little boxes used as candy dishes for a family dinner. They all went home with the people who were at the dinner. I did make the boxes 2 inches smaller then you did.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3563 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Very cute, like the bells on the top. TFS

Posts: 8118 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
How neat, Handie. The bells are a great touch. TFS

posted Hide Post
Those turned out so cute Ann!

Posts: 11812 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joobee
posted Hide Post
Kim the thread catcher you posted is a little different than the original.
Thread catcher is 3 sided, the little boxes are 4 sided.
I think I will try both!!

Posts: 352 | Registered: Nov 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
joobee, I swear, i didn't even notice the differences! i am so loosing it! ROFL!

Picture of Shauna's crafty quilter
posted Hide Post
I've made these before and love them. Found that if you iron it right before turning it right side out it makes the stiff interfacing more pliable and alot easier to do! Love the Christmas ones with jingle bells. Might have to make some of those!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars!!"

Posts: 3437 | Location: hopefully at my sewing machine | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Handie Ann:
Thanks Paus, I made 21 of your little boxes used as candy dishes for a family dinner.

And with the bells you can tell when someone is taking a candy on the sly. Cute! I made several of the 3 sided version a few months back.

piney

Posts: 3205 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
hmmmmm, something tells me these can be addictive or danged easy to make.

Good thought about the bells, there, pinecone. lollllll

Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
These are so cute! I made three, and will probably slip some chocolate inside and give them to the three little neighbor girls across the street. I used 6.5" squares, so they're little.

Posts: 1420 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Elsie, those aren't cute, they are wonderfully gorgeous!!!! What fabric did you use 'cuz it looks like silk or satin.

Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
Blush, blush. They're C'mas fabric, and the gold fabric has some of that metallic sheen to it.

Posts: 1420 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
LOL...elsie...I feel like I'm stalking you again like I did in the SS swap...hehe...those bags are gorgeous, and that gold is unreal...who makes the gold fabric and the name of it?

Paus, love this...thanks so much for posting, will be nice to make for a few of the teachers at Caleb's school Smile and he can help me sew on the bells and fill them with candy!

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7036 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
Here's the gold fabric I got at Joann's. The selvedge doesn't list the maker, just that it's not for sleepwear. If you need me to send some, let me know, though we know it most likely won't make it in time. Wink

Picture of DARBYD
posted Hide Post
elsie123
Do you have the measurments for the small basket? Can you share them with me.
Thanks

Posts: 342 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
I used 6.5" squares to start off with, then after they've been sewn and turned right side out, and folded in half, I only took my seam up about 1.25". At the fold it was about 1/2 to 5/8", then tapered up to nothing at 1.25". I've already given away the 3 I pictured, but they were a nice little size. Each held 9 or 12 little chocolate kisses.

Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elsie123:
Here's the gold fabric I got at Joann's. The selvedge doesn't list the maker, just that it's not for sleepwear. If you need me to send some, let me know, though we know it most likely won't make it in time. Wink

I'll have a look online @ jo-anns, thanks elsie...and shhhhhh I don't want it for gifts, I want it for me...lol

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7036 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Midnight46
posted Hide Post
Just tried a little box. I only have two seams, and the box looks like four seams.

I'm good with the directions: fold, sew sides, turn. Mine is shaped like the picture, but no flap or points to turn down.

What did I do wrong?

"Quilting is like Oxygen. It will expand to fill-up any sized room you give it." - Reverend Joseph M. Cherry

Posts: 1391 | Location: Port Huron, Michigan USA | Registered: Sep 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Midnight46
posted Hide Post
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm supposed to sew the two other sides, even
though, there are no raw edges.

A big DUH. lol

"Quilting is like Oxygen. It will expand to fill-up any sized room you give it." - Reverend Joseph M. Cherry

Posts: 1391 | Location: Port Huron, Michigan USA | Registered: Sep 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ann in OR
posted Hide Post
hmm may have to these cute little gifts ideas

thank you paus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Posts: 1313 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So cute! I would really like to try some of these for next year.

Posts: 663 | Location: Ashley, IL | Registered: Feb 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad this thread was still available! I made a few last year but gave them away and didn't save the instructions. Now I want to make a few for Halloween and Christmas.

Posts: 841 | Location: MI | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post