Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ♥♥♥♥HGTV BOM July 2014♫♫♫♫♥♥
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

♥♥♥♥HGTV BOM July 2014♫♫♫♫♥♥ Sign In/Join 
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted
Good Morning Everyone. No this is Not a mistake, we thought we would announce the July Block early this month. That way you can get the block finished before all the Fourth of July Festivities. LOL Seriously Pat is going to be gone fishing to Canada and didn’t want you to have to wait until she comes back before posting. All the info is on her computer. Sue says she will draw the winner on July 1st. for the June BOM .
Has anyone figured out our theme for this year??? Something to think about while Pat is on vacation. We already know. 
Welcome to the BOM for 2014. Being hosted by PattyJ and Sister Sue.

A Bit of Background......
*ALL board members are welcome to join us! There is no commitment or sign-up. Just join in the fun by posting on this thread.

*You are not swapping, exchanging or anything else, just make the block we post on the first of each month; show us a photo of your work, and be entered into a drawing for a unique surprise .

* Each month, we will be doing a block from Quilter's Cache.
At the end of the year you will have 12 beautiful finished 12 ½ inch square blocks (give or take ¼ inch. LOL)
With your finished blocks you can either make then into a quilt or divide them up into smaller projects such as: wall hangings, table runners, totes, or even just have extra blocks to finish a UFO. 
At the end of the year we will reveal what we have done with our 12 blocks and we want to see what you have decided to do with yours.
All Quilters who complete all 12 blocks and turn them into projects or quilts by the end of December will be eligible to enter the drawing, taking place on Jan. 1, 2015 . The quilts need to be a finished top ( not sandwiched or quilted). The projects need to be finished completely.

Credit: Marcia Hohn has graciously said we can use blocks from The Quilter's Cache again this year. Please read her Terms and Conditions at: http://www.quilterscache.com/. And follow the below guideline. "Should photographs of items made from Original designs be posted on your group website, they should also be clearly marked with the name of the pattern As I have it named, and that it is from The Quilter's Cache/Marcia Hohn." (Since you'll post your pictures in this thread, you will be covered by that statement.)

Here is the July, 2014 Block of the Month

Steps to the Altar
http://www.quilterscache.com/S...ToTheAltarBlock.html

We hope you will have fun with this block this month. Come and join us.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Dec 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
Here is Sister Sues' block made with Laurel Burch fabrics so it is nice and bright. Smile

Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
Here is my block. It was not a hard block to do, just follow the directions with the center triangle square. Used Jack the ripper there when I didn't read all the directions. Smile

Picture of PatriciaAnne
posted Hide Post
This will work very nicely with my stained glass theme.

Posts: 544 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Oct 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting early! No, I do not know what the theme is yet; Big Grin

Posts: 2063 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the July block and I have no idea what the theme is.

Posts: 457 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting early. I think I know the theme- sent a PM since I wasn't sure if we could post here.

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was happy to see the early posting, had time today to make the block. So, here it is.

Posts: 542 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: Apr 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was fast! Love the B,W, and red combo. After working outside all day today, too tired to sew today. Spent my "lunch break" making goodies for my grandparents for Fourth of July. Maybe tomorrow or Monday I can sew, because it is supposed to be 90+ again

Posts: 1977 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
STinMT- Love the black/red/white combination. You are very fast on completing the block. Love it. Sue

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BOM Sisters,

Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I have the directions printed out. I'm not sure of your theme yet.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3602 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
FinishedSmile

Posts: 457 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
Shirlwin- your block looks good. Everyone is getting an early start on next months block. Way to go. Sue

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Great blocks STimMT and Shirlwin. I hope to get to mine on Tuesday.

Posts: 2063 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
The WINNER for the June Block is

STinMT
Please PM your address to me and I will send out your gift. Congratulations Sue

posted Hide Post
Congratulations STinMT.

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Congrats STinMT.

Neat block. Must get busy as I am now 4 blocks behind. finished the year of the Sunshine blocks, so now can work on these once I do a little (very little) organizing in my sewing room... Chris

Posts: 6306 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's always fun to win. Thanks all.
PM sent.

Posts: 542 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: Apr 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
STinMT- Thanks for the address- will mail the gift out tomorrow. Sue

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Here's mine for July! I think I know the theme after I looked at all the names of the blocks!

posted Hide Post
Chlynn- that is a great block. Love the color selection. Hope everyone has a great 4th. Sue

Posts: 1610 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Hope everyone had a great 4th. Thank you BOM Sisters for the runner pattern and Love quilting key ring.

posted Hide Post
STinMT- glad you received the gift. TFS. Sue

Posts: 1610 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
Chlynn1129 I like the spots!! Very effectiveSmile

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Liking the colors so far. Don't know if I'll ever get caught up.. I did pull fabric for the birdhouses a week ago before going on a trip - maybe I'll get to it soon.

Posts: 8198 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
I see that there are some finished blocks posted. They all look nice and are colorful. Glad all of you are having fun with our choices.
I'm back from Canada and anxious to get sewing again. I did get some reading done during the rain delay fishing, so all was not lost.Smile

Posts: 8221 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YAY, I'm not waiting until the last day to finish this month. Took me a while to figure out colors. I have a layer cake and a jelly roll, with a couple pieces in yardage.

Congratulations to STinMT!

Posts: 157 | Location: OREGON | Registered: Apr 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quiltee- Great block and done in plenty of time. LOL Sue

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I redrafted it into 4 blocks, with a 12-1/2" finished block, to fit with the scale of my monkey fabric better. Have one color cut, probably won't get to it until this weekend or later. I am making my blocks a variety of sizes to have a sampler quilt by the end of the year. Also have started planning some "extra" blocks since I have so much monkey fabric, might turn this into a throw or 2 wall hangings.

posted Hide Post
Quilter Jen- sounds like a great plan. Looking forward to seeing your block. Sue

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Got one block done for June. How many am I behind!! I think 2 for May, 1 for June and 2 for July... um.

For June and the RWB will pick a different block.

Posts: 8198 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
Elaine, just a note of encouragement, just keep making your blocks until you don't have anymore to make.Smile Nice looking birdhouses. That paisley fabric is so pretty.
Quiltee, that is a nice colorful block.

Now for a list of July Finishers:
PattyJ Smile
Sister SueSmile
Quiltee Smile
STinMT Smile
ShirlwinSmile
Chlynn1129Smile
Elainetoo Smile

Boy, I thought we had more finishers than 7 of us. Jen, it will be fun to see your re designed block. Meanwhile, keep sewing and keep a smile on your face.
Pat

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Elaine, love that upper left birdhouse fabric!

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chlynn1129:
Elaine, love that upper left birdhouse fabric!

Thank you, I liked it also. It, that roof and the dots below came from a charm pack I got as a reward for Stashbusting. Most of the pieces in that package will work perfectly in my crazy bright choices this year.

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
I'm been busy today.. got the 2 July blocks done!

Now tomorrow I really need to clean that sewing room.. can hardly find anything and my dog tipped over the waste basket - scraps and threads all over the floor!

Wow, those look wonky in the picture - they really are in better square than that shows. Smile

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Elaine, both your blocks are nice looking.You can't have too many more left to do, do you??
Pat

Posts: 8221 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Hi ladies I was wondering where I find the last 6 months of blocks? Better late then never.

J Lu

Posts: 1143 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi J Lu- Welcome to BOM- this is the list of the first 6 blocks
Jan- House that Jack Built
Feb- Log Cabin
March- Castle in the Air
April- Church Windows
May- Buzzard's Roost
June- Bird Houses
Hope this helps and be happy to have you join. Sue

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
Welcome JLu! This is a lot of fun. Glad you can join us.

posted Hide Post
Elaine- love your 2 blocks. Great color combinations. Sue

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
J-Lu, Welcome to the BOM, The June block was supposed to be Fort Sumpter, but Sue and I had trouble with the pattern. Some of the other ladies didn't have any difficulties with it. The bird houses didn't fit in with their quilts, so if you want you can attempt that block instead. I'm sure our trouble was caused by the operators, not the pattern.LOL

Picture of Chlynn1129
posted Hide Post
SUE:

♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*
░H░A░P░P░Y░♪ღ♪░B░I░R░T░H░D░A░Y░ 
*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

I hope you had a wonderful day!

posted Hide Post
I got my July done

Posts: 397 | Registered: Nov 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did one in blue too

Posts: 397 | Registered: Nov 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tinbren- love your holiday colors. I had both of them for my 10 minute table runner for the 4th of July. Great job. Sue

posted Hide Post
I am plodding along. I redrafted July's block into 4 six inch squares so there are a lot of 1" pieces.

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Just lost my post, again. Argggg.....
Jen, one inch squares??? Could you have made a strip set then subcut it? Just an idea, don't think it helps now. I'm having to adjust the August pattern, because the colors that I chose just weren't big enough, But I have several smaller ones that should work. Wish me luck.Smile
Solution Services sent me an e-mail with her block so I'm posting for her. At least I hope I'll post it.Smile
Pat

Picture of BOM Sisters
posted Hide Post
Time to update the July Finishers.
PattyJ Smile
Sister SueSmile
STinMT Smile
Quiltee Smile
Shirlwin Smile
Chlynn1129 Smile
Elainetoo Smile
tinbren Smile
Solution Services Smile

Now is anyone else sewing? Jen, just keep thinking that maybe Aug. will be easier.LOL