Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  From a garage sale...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From a garage sale... Sign In/Join 
Picture of KG in CA
posted
I just posted last week that I never find fabric at a garage sale. Picked this up this morning for $20 and came out smiling! It is hand appliqued. The blocks are machine stitched together.

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7384 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
The blocks are in excellent condition with minimal staining/spotting. There are 2 light water marks (I darkened this so they would show)

Posts: 7384 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
And a couple of spots. I'll have to figure out whether I will try to get them out.

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Looks like you found a good deal today, Congrats and enjoy your new quilt. Someone put a lot of work in on it.

Posts: 7831 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Great find! Just never know when something will pop up. Love "junking" as my friend & I call it... Chris

Posts: 5860 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful find,feels great doesn't it? Those dark spots(3rd pic) look newer I'll bet they come out easily.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9895 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muggomuggo
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a find!!!

my philosophy: there are no real mistakes in quilting, just design opportunities!!

Posts: 4558 | Location: maybe Texas someday | Registered: Jul 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
you found a gem!

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25644 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Amazing find, we'll done

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 696 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
My jaw dropped! What a thrill of a find!!!! Whooohoo!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8412 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
What fun! The quilter would be pleased it went to a good home.

piney

Posts: 3106 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Such a treasure!!! Great find!!!

pat

Posts: 5037 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was grinning from ear to ear...DH asked why are you so happy - you are coming out with almost nothing? I have a set of string blocks in 30's fab with a yellow starting color, so you know I loved this (and would never have made this pattern myself)! Thanks for looking!

Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
that is so cool, what a great find. I guess you did have a big smile.

Posts: 2943 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16481 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
I love your quilt. I can't see any quilting. Is it quilted, backed or top only and if so, what are your plans for it? I love the colors - so happy - they make me smile!

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quilts"R"Fun
posted Hide Post
Maybe try a little oxyclean to see if it'll remove the water marks. Let it air dry because drying it in the dryer will set the stain. That's a great find btw...

Posts: 7902 | Location: In a big heaping pile of awesome fabrics! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Lucky you! It looks great to me! Enjoy! Smile

Posts: 10447 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewlove2quilt
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!!! Lucky duck!! My 1st thought was soaking it in oxyclean, too!

I haven't been to any garage sales yet this yr cause saving money for the COF retreat & I really miss going....just don't want to be tempted to spend money now, know what I mean?

https://www.etsy.com/people/sewlove2quilt2

Take time for kindness & for giving. Take time for friends & happy living!

Posts: 6784 | Registered: Feb 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
It is beautiful. You done good.

Posts: 15205 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
It's cute and I love dresdens. Is it quilted or just the top? Will you quilt it?

Posts: 3673 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
Beautiful-reminds me of spring! I use original Dawn with a soft toothbrush. Sometimes it has to soak awhile. But Ive had luck with getting all stains out.

Looks like a top only. What are your plans?

PamSmile

Posts: 5698 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Regardless pf what you clean with, would you clean the areas and then rinse the whole piece in the bathtub & spread it out to dry?

It is just a top and measures 68x85. I have not had time to decide how to finish it, but I have 2 projects to finish before anything will happen with this one. Thanks for your comments!

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I wonder about stabilizing the edges with a straight seam before soaking out the stain???

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8412 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post