Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  ready toss this project in the trash
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ready toss this project in the trash Sign In/Join 
posted
I have been working on a tee shirt quilt for my DGD. this has been off and on for 3 years. I am trying to finish before may. I am so tired of this quilt. nothing has gone right on it. I have unsewen as much as I have sewed. I am temped to trash it or at least put it away till I am in a better mood. any sugestions

Posts: 376 | Registered: Nov 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that.

Don't trash it though. Putting it aside would be a better idea.

Maybe do some work on it, then reward yourself with a fun project before going back to the t-shirt quilt; repeat.

Posts: 16575 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Is there anything we can help you with?

Posts: 5924 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
What's giving you the problems? Stabilizer? Joining blocks? Quilting? Someone here is bound to have a great suggestion to overcome your current hurdle.

Posts: 3548 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I just want it finished. I am trying to do it all myslef. I am not a great free motion quilter. I am ok with the parts I have done. now I have to put the rowes together. The quilt is heavy and bundlesome. I don't have but a few mins at a time to work on it. and most of all I just wanted to enjoy making something with out deadlines, intruptions, or hassle. just venting i guess. this board is great. I get alot of help here. I think I will put this away for now and breath.

Posts: 376 | Registered: Nov 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I would suggest leaving it alone for awhile. I bet it will be beautiful when it's finished & your DGD will love it because YOU made it.

Nicki

Posts: 7944 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I'm just the opposite. When I have a project I just don't want to do, I push through it and make myself finish. I want it out of my life as soon as possible.

Posts: 3545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltzilla
posted Hide Post
I say: Put it aside, work on something smaller that you like better.
Then be sure to go back to it within a certain length of time.

Posts: 6628 | Registered: Aug 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Did you see the pics of Jayardi's t-shirt quilt? She may be able to give you some pointers on the actual quilting - when you are ready to pick it up again Smile

Posts: 6458 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
I am the biggest PROCRASTINATOR there is... when I get a project and get in the dumps about it.. I usually sit it aside and forget it. BUT, I think if you sit it aside, until you know you will have a nice amount of time to work on it, so that when you finish that day you can see a great improvement, it is really coming along, alot done... you will be happy you stayed with it. Forget those little times you can just get started when you have to stop. it then looks like the never ending story & useless.

Posts: 2943 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kim - Strut526
posted Hide Post
My first t-shirt quilt was a hot mess! Wrong stabilizer, wrong batting, to heavy for me to quilt ect...

I had to take it all apart, and cut it up into quilted blocks.(meaning the top,batting and backing was as one) and re join it sort of like a Quilt as you go. I ended up quilting each block individually, and then joining the rows.

The only time i would use thing thing, was if i was stuck in a snow storm with no heat...it is that heavy.

This is basically how it finished up..or just before.
http://picasaweb.google.com/11...er=0&feat=directlink

fast forward 3 or 4 years..i make pretty
t shirt quilts! although i will pass on making anymore! Smile

Posts: 11810 | Location: Taylor, Mi. | Registered: Sep 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post