Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it just me? Sign In/Join 
Picture of amiko
posted
I always enjoyed watching Fons/Porter on tv, but since Liz left I am having a hard time listening to the show because of all the faces Mary makes and I miss what is being said. If she is not making faces her arms flying all over the place. I had to turn it off yesterday. Sad because it is one of my favorites.
amiko

Posts: 379 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
She definitely is not good in front of the camera. She doesn't do well with guests. I don't like it as much either.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2314 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SavedSinnr
posted Hide Post
I stopped watching as well ... she seems to be a scatter brain cashing in on the name ... YMHO

I miss Liz !

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 8005 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katiemedarlin
posted Hide Post
Not just you. I gave up on it. Shame I used to like it, especially the tips - always had one I hadn't thought of.

Happy is a choice.

GO RAVENS!!!

Posts: 4056 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
Last week she was on without her mom and I felt so bad for the guy she had on as her guest. She spoke with her eyes closed for half the show. Oh well, it is what it is.
amiko

Posts: 379 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
I agree, it's not quite the same but I tend to watch any quilt show I can. Shar Jorgensen used to drive me nuts. so slow. but still, I watched. The daughter has been through some serious health problems in the last few years so I give her a lot of slack now, knowing that.
one day she may stop bobbing her head. it's a nervous habit. things change. not always for the better but one can't stop change.

CC

Posts: 4655 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I don't get but two quilting shows a week...Saturday morning on PBS. So I watch regardless...unless I've seen it 6 or 7 times already. Frown

Posts: 17051 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twostep
posted Hide Post
I totally agree ... riding the coattails of her mother. BUT like others I don't get many quilt shows so I try to ignore her.

Posts: 6790 | Location: Bubbleland | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
We don't get it here in CT so I watch online The Quilt Show. What a shame.

Posts: 9538 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to record all the shows, but I can't stand her on there so I don't watch anymore. I don't think the show will last long if they keep her on it.

Happy Stitch'n

~mn_lady_us~

Quilting - Machine Embroidery-Painting - Crafts

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc182/mn_lady_us/

Posts: 1110 | Location: God's Country | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Well, she certainly doesn't have Liz' gift, but I think she's coming along. A while back, Mary hosted, & Liz was the guest artist. Pretty good show, similar to the old chemistry between Liz & Mary's mom.
I'm still recording them, after all, I used to turn the volume when Eleanor Burns was on & look where she is now. Smile
Have you seen the Quilty magazine? or the Hey quilty blog? Maybe she appeals to you better in print. It's worth a try.
http://www.heyquilty.com/index.html
http://www.heyquilty.com/blogs/
...or another video source without mom most of the time.
http://www.qnntv.com/videoscategory/quilty/

~karen Wave

Posts: 3206 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
I don't like the show nearly as much as the previous version, but I still watch any sewing related program that is offered on my PBS station.

Have gotten the magazine when you could still use the 40% of coupons at Joann's on magazines, but not since. Just don't pay full price for any magazine. I'm too cheap! Chris

Posts: 6095 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mandylifeboats
posted Hide Post
not only that, but they make ugly things. their techniques aren't that sharp.

Posts: 4993 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
they had an episode on with Liz that showed a special quilt she was making for a wedding gift - I want to do that quilt as a swap so much!!! It's stuck in my head.

I get the magazine - I think my subscription is good for another 3 years with all the specials I took advantage of Smile When I'm done with them they go to a couple of ladies I work with - we're going to turn them into quilters as soon as I teach them how to use their machines Smile

Posts: 6595 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
Royal-lol! Yes, I still watch. Gee now that you guys have voiced your opinions-I thought it was me-in my own mind-not being nice! I miss Liz too.

I haven't heard that Mary had health problems and I thought she was married?????

I must miss a lot-

Pam

Posts: 5818 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shogun
posted Hide Post
I think she is energetic and animated, the original pair were somewhat lethargic. She seems to really like quilting and grew up with it, don't think she is using the name. Sorry to hear she has health problems.

Posts: 3700 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lefthanded Stitcher
posted Hide Post
What are Mary's health issues?

Maybe Mary is the link for her generation to develop a passion for quilting. Very few young ladies are "into" quilting as it requires a lot of money (fabric costs are so high! Plus, the cost of a good sewing machine and the tools required to speed up the process must be factored into the spending formula. Even the cost of replacement blades for rotary cutters is escalating).

I, too, cringe when she comes on the air but Fons & Porter is the only quilting program we receive.

Posts: 134 | Location: Middle of the USA | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
Did a bit of research and came up with this posting on a blog Mary writes.
http://www.heyquilty.com/blogs/?p=633

~karen Wave

Posts: 3206 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
It's hard to step into a role that is already established. We miss what was. I think she has come a long ways since her first show. Personally I think she is leeps and bounds above another quilt show host (has a different show). I choose not to watch that show, the ideas are great, but the host drives me crazy. I will continue to record Fons and Porter and watch those shows that interest me. I do wish we would get some more shows to choose from. HGTV needs to get with it and replace the home shows with quilting/crafting! I don't know what I'd do without the amazing ladies on this board who have become my "quiling show" of choice!!! Great ideas, supportive and always willing to share!

Posts: 747 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I didn't know Liz left, don't get PBS since they cancelled the contract w/ Direct tv

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3620 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishQuiltLass
posted Hide Post
Mary totally annoys me

Yesterday show here she told her guest that the is now monofilament thread in cotton. The guest looked at her as if to say "WHAT??" And the subject changed.

Today saw the Show with Liz and Mary making a hunters star and Liz was great.

I heard Mary talk at Quiltcon and was not impressed with her.

Go raibh grá, ádh, muinín agus dóchas agat i gcónaí
May you always have hope, faith, love, and luck

Posts: 1612 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Aug 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post