Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Does anyone know of quilt shops in San Diego area?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone know of quilt shops in San Diego area? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Musiclady
posted
Hi Everyone,
I am going to San Diego for a week in July and am very excited - I have never been there before.

Does anyone know if there are any good quilt shops in the area? I would also love to know of other fun stuff to do in the area.

Thanks,
Musiclady

Posts: 1113 | Registered: Aug 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't lived in San Diego for many years but I have been to this one

Rosie's Calico Cupboard
7151 El Cajon Blvd Ste F, San Diego, CA 92115(619) 697-5758

You could call and check to see if its still there, but it is still listed in yellow pages.

There are several in yellow pages listed in El Cajon, La Mesa, and Chula Vista. All those are part of San Diego. La Mesa is quite nice, El Cajon is where I used to live, there isn't much else out there to do except a large mall with movie theatres. The trolley goes out that way tho and its nice to ride around, especially thru the more touristy areas.

I highly recommend the Wild Animal Park. It's so much nicer than the zoo, all the animals (except big cats lol) are in a huge enclosure. They also have shows every afternoon and guided tours of different things.

La Jolla is really nice for the boutique shops and the beaches. They used to have a yarn store there, but not a quilt shop. Old town is nice for a day out too. It's the first Spanish settlement in Calfornia from the 1700s and enjoyable if you like the history aspect of things.

If you have a car, head over the bridge to Coronado, its very cool over there. Old style stores, a beach, you can rent bikes and bike around. It will probably be very hot so take extra water - its a dry heat tho so it isnt as bad as humid places Smile

10 years ago the downtown area was pretty bad, when we drove through it I would lock my doors lol. But I was straight from New Zealand - I suspect I might find it more ordinary now that I have lived in NYC for awhile.

One of my very favourite restaurants just closed down a year ago, but I always make sure to go eat at Souplantation when I go back to SD Smile The prices are good, they have a salad buffet at the front, then after you pay you can have unlimited soups, muffins and foccaccia bread which is DELISH. They have softserve icecream, fresh fruit, baked potatoes... almost makes me want to go back just typing it out Smile

Woodstocks has very nice pizza if you like pizza.

Jane_Kiwi

Posts: 1791 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Lived in San Diego for 33 yrs. Rosie's shop is FANTABULOUS!

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1925 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Rosie's! I go once a year & always make sure there is time to shop there.

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7384 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Rosie's is great! You really need to check it out. It is freeway close and easy to find.

Posts: 630 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Musiclady
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone - I will definitely check out everything. Can't wait to see Rosie's. And thanks Jane_Kiwi for all the other suggestions. I am making my list.

Thanks again,
Ml

Posts: 1113 | Registered: Aug 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvthosequilts
posted Hide Post
Musiclady here is a link to the Quilter's Run map

http://www.quiltersrun.com/qr/map.shtml

If you click on the #s by San Diego it will give you addresses....
BTW from Rosie's it is 'only' about an hour to Quilt in a Day Elinore Burns shop...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: luvthosequilts,

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

Posts: 4510 | Registered: Feb 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post