Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  OT .....SELF STICK TILES
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT .....SELF STICK TILES Sign In/Join 
Picture of michelle1538
posted
For my laundry room .....have you used it ......how did it go ....what prep did you have to do....I have just the wood underlayment to put the tiles down on.....

Posts: 1728 | Location: livin in the mitten | Registered: Mar 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
How moist will the floor get? When we moved to this house there were self stick tiles on the basement floor, over cement. They were broken in some corners and we could scoop them up with as flat front shovel and they mostly popped off. We have some others on some of the same floor now and they are doing well, they have even gotten wet a couple of times with low flood water.

Be sure the floor is really clean, no oil or grease spots on it.

Madelyn

Posts: 6043 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Save your leftover tiles. I bought medium grit sandpaper sheets and stuck to the sticky side of the tile. Lay fabric on them to keep it from sliding while drawing around templates or diagonals for HST's. MUCH cheaper than my other one and made great gifts for friends. I keep one by my sewing machine all the time. The sandpaper sheets are slightly smaller than the tiles. Used a razor to trim.

Posts: 7034 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
I have had them in my bathroom for years with no problem. I am in the process of a remodel now and they are going to have to be replaced. They were placed on a plywood underlayment. You just have to make sure there isn't any dust or dirt on it before laying them.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2301 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
If you buy the good stuff, like the vinyl tile that you can grout, I think it is about $1.08 from Home Depot.....you will LOVE it. Do use the stuff that prepares the plywood for it. I put this stuff in my kitchen, grouted between and it is GREAT! Doesn't break like real tile , cleans easily and people think I have real tile when they see it. Great warranty too.

Posts: 399 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
As a matter of fact, I just ordered some resilient vinyl tile plank from Lumber Liquidators. On sale, Perry Pine, fifty year warranty. Looks like real wood, cleans like vinyl. I have dogs and I sew, tired of carpet!

Posts: 399 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
All of the above and more. We replaced the flooded basement floor with similar tiles. We had a contractor do it as the drywall was damaged as well.
Highly recommend vinyl tiles. No smell or mess like carpet and no allergies to the fibers. Ceramic tile is so much more expensive.
We special ordered from Home Depot and they did struggle alittle to get it right. To our benefit - they had to deliver free.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 424 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
We used some of the less expensive ones in our laundry room 12 years ago. They are still stuck down tight but the finish has worn off some. That is a very high traffic area. The door from the garage goes in the laundry room so that is the way we come in most of the time.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2826 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
I don't know the price difference but another good option is the newer 'linoleum' (it's not linoleum anymore but vinyl) but it comes on a big roll, covers the floor in one piece so moisture isn't an issue, cuts with scissors or a box blade, it's free floating, no glue required. It's a little unwieldy getting it maneuvered around but it won't crease like the old stuff did. Truly just unroll it, trim the edges, put down your baseboard trim and you're done

Posts: 3992 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of michelle1538
posted Hide Post
My laundry room is off the kitchen and I live in Michigan but I never turn my heat down as in traveling to Florida or anything like that. Not a lot of traffic other than right in front of the machines and I use a rug underfoot. The hard part will be undercutting the trim....have never done that before.

Posts: 1728 | Location: livin in the mitten | Registered: Mar 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
My son has these tiles in his place and his wife loves them. She likes to keep changing them. Easy on, easy off.

I'll be getting the floating vinyl in my basement next week. It has tile down there now. If the vinyl feels as good on the floor as it does in my hand, I'm gonna love it. Not at all like the old linoleum, very cushiony.

Posts: 5917 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GAQuilter
posted Hide Post
I put them inside my cabinets, easier to clean than the wallpaper or shelfliner, also lasts longer. I bought the discontinued boxes, made it even cheaper. Did this almost 13 years ago and it is still holding strong.

I would put them in the laundry room, based on my experience with them so far. Not sure how to prep the floor for it.

Good Luck! Big Grin

Group Hug

I can do what you can’t do, and you can do what I can’t do; together we can do great things.— Mother Teresa

http://picasaweb.google.com/GAquilter

Posts: 2605 | Location: GA | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post