Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Art Quilt Competition & Charity Auction - October 16 deadline for this year's auction
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Art Quilt Competition & Charity Auction - October 16 deadline for this year's auction Sign In/Join 
Picture of toryam
posted
CALL FOR ENTRIES/DONATIONS!! QUILTS ENTERED WILL BE AUCTIONED FOR CHARITY.

The Meridian Lions and LEO Clubs and the Okatibbee Running Club and Athletics invite you to participate in the
2013 LEO Run to Remember Art Quilt Competition & Auction

In 2012, the Meridian Marathon raised and distributed $17,500 for the Alzheimer’s Association and local charities. This was accomplished through the first LEO Run to Remember, Meridian Marathon & ½ Marathon. Prizes for the top male & female runners in the Marathon and ½ Marathon were small art quilts donated by a local artist & quilter.

The second running is scheduled for November 16, 2013 and promises to be bigger and better. In conjunction with the race, we will be conducting an art quilt competition & auction.

**The top 4 quilts will be presented as race prizes.**

**All others will be auctioned or sold to benefit the Alzheimer’s Association and selected charities.**

Prizes will be awarded in several categories, to include: Most Original, Best Workmanship & Most Money Raised During Auction

RULES:

1. Design is the artist’s choice: any style, any technique. All embellishments must be securely attached.

2. Approximate finished size is 13” x 17”

3. Hanging triangles should be affixed to the top, back corners.

4. Quilts should be clearly labeled on the back with the quilter’s name & Quilt Title.

5. Deadline for receipt of quilts is October 15, 2013. Quilts received after this date will be held for the 2014 event.

6. Please include an information sheet with name, email and/or physical address & phone number to be submitted with the quilt to:

Meridian LEO Club
C/O Charlyn King
PO Box 3002
Meridian, MS 39303

More information will be posted soon on our race website
www.leoruntoremember.org

This message has been edited. Last edited by: toryam,

Posts: 3973 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Feel free to make copies and share with your friends.

Please consider including this in your guild newsletter.

THANK YOU!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: toryam,

Posts: 3973 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2521 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
No theme. What are your thoughts? It's still a work in progress but this is my go-to spot for all things quilty so I wanted to post here before I started sending to guilds.

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I think the directions are pretty clear. Since it's not due until October I think I might give this a whirl. Um...thinking, thinking, thinking.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
ttt

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
tory... I have the Freedom mini art quilt and the Baubles Bangles and Beads mini art quilt that I made on the Bakers Dozen blog... What do you think about me submitting those?

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25639 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
That would be great! Are they close to the 13 x 17 size? They don't have to be exact, just close. YAY!

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
they are 12 x 12

Posts: 25639 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure they'll accept them since they're wanting to auction them off for charity. I'll double check tho' before you send them to me. Thanks!

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
This is the Freedom quilt..

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Baubles Bangles and Beads

Picture of tisme
posted Hide Post
Q, if Tory doesn`t want the Baubles one, I will send you my address!! That was the year I was born! lol Smile

Posts: 4572 | Location: It is truly summer!! | Registered: Dec 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
They said , "yes please and thank you!"

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Ttt

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
I might give this a whirl too. I am going to enter an art quilt in my quilt guild show so would be able to pass it on into thisl

Mary

Posts: 3929 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
that would be awesome, Mary! I'm thinking about just sewing down a zillion or so of these inchies I keep making/collecting, haha.

Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2521 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mandylifeboats
posted Hide Post
we just did this with my guild. this was my submission, entitled "let's eat"

Posts: 4892 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
That's so cute, Mandy!

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
To the top for more entries Smile

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Ttt

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
we had a marathon meeting tonight and everyone is really excited about it. We hope to have the quilts displayed at our local art museum, that's still in the works tho'.

Please pass the rules to your local quilty friends & guilds!

If any of you have items you'd like to donate to the prize packages please PM me.

Thanks!

Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
I am on meds and I may not have read it thru just right. I have a question which may be dumb?

What kind of prizes do you need donated? runner prizes or prizes for the quilters?

I may give this a try.

Posts: 3603 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you do "hanging triangles"?

Jane_Kiwi

Posts: 1790 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Quilter prizes. The more I can get donated then the more cash we can give to the charities when it's all over. Smile

Jane - using about a 6" square of fabric (size isn't critical) fold it over once so it makes a triangle. You'll need 2.
Before you bind your quilt: align the raw edges(pointy corner) of the triangles with the raw edges of the top corners of your quilt. Stitch them down with your binding. Done! Then you can Stick a dowel or a wooden slat behind the folded slanty parts & hang your quilt.

Here's a link to an example:
http://www.lovebugstudios.com/...anging-small-quilts/

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Charlyn, that's how I do all of my wallhanging quilts except I usually do all four corners and put a dowel in the bottom to help the quilt keep its shape and hang properly.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6522 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Needle crazy - how big of a quilt will it hold? I love that It's really quick & easy for the small ones but I haven't done any larger than about 30" wide.

Jane- After reading a little further on that link she might make it too complicated but the picture is pretty self-explanatory.

Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Are you only wanting "art-y" type quilts (like the ones shown above) or are you interested in more "traditional" ones (like Bozie makes) too?

Posts: 4570 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Traditional is fine too, we'll accept them all.

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Ttt

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I will mail you mine this week..

I need your new addy

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
PMed ya! Thanks!

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
I have two awesome quilts in hand! Thanks, Quiltaholic!!!!

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
you're welcome! Hope someone likes them.

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Address has been added to the top post. I encourage you to give this a try, any style quilt is acceptable & the size is very small so quick Wink

Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Is there going to be a way those far away can participate in the auction? I'd be interested in that part.

Posts: 6441 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Yes! We r planning to have an online option for the bidding. We r still working on the details but I will let y'all know as soon as I can.

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I am still thinking about this. I won't have time to work on this until after the COF retreat, but that should still give me time to get something to you.

Just saw Q's Freedom quilt - there has got to be some story there!

Posts: 2771 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Lisa.. There actually is...

When I went through my divorce, my ex made it as ugly as he possibly could. He tried to turn my children against me by buying their dedication. My oldest called me one day and screamed and yelled at me and I knew he had put her up to it. I was furious... not at her.. but him.

I was so livid that I took our wedding bands and threw them in the toilet and flushed... Well, they sat on the bottom. That made me angrier! So I fished them out and wrapped them in toilet paper, threw them back in and flushed again. They now reside in the Phil Campbell sewer system.

I also threw my wedding album in a hole in the yard that same day, poured gasoline all over it and lit it and burned it up. If I had not left my dress, it would have been in the fire too... It is on the quilt in the fire for good measure.

That day was a very liberating one! I don't know which was more liberating.. the day I actually got up the nerve to leave, or that one....

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Wow! I thought my divorce was bad but nothing like that. So glad you found a way to let it go.

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I just came up with my idea. Hopefully I will get lots of work done on it at the retreat.

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Have fun in PA! Smile

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Ttt

Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
So the idea of getting lots done at COF really wasn't a good one! LOL But I will get it done and sent off soon.

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Haha! I never finish anything at COF! I spend too much time running my mouth, lol

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Please share this info with your local guilds

Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Ttt