Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Barbara Brackman starts a new long-term project
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barbara Brackman starts a new long-term project Sign In/Join 
Picture of nancyc20
posted
http://grandmotherschoice.blogspot.com/

Every week now Barbara Brackman will be doing a new historical block project. This one is about the Suffragettes. Today is the first day. It's Grandmother's Choice. Cute block.

Smile

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8399 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
Should we start a thread on here for this one? Like the Bridal Sampler? Would there be an interest in doing that?

Posts: 257 | Location: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jul 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I'm not reliable enough! I start these things and don't finish!!! Frown

Posts: 8399 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I like the concept and I hope I can make a block every week. I'll try Big Grin
Here's the first one: Grandmother's Choice.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
wHOOHOO!!! Very pretty. Perfect points!!! Smile I'm doing those colors too. Need some purple in my life... Smile

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thank you Big Grin
I love the idea behind the colors so I thought I should go with those. I guess I have to shopping for some more greens and purples!

Posts: 1101 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. I signed up to get them by email. Looks like a great project for winter.

Quiltmaker

Posts: 1153 | Registered: Mar 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am doing this project. I did the one last year too. There is a great flicker group that actively posts and discusses the project each week. Barbara does not post there, but she does follow and her pattern testers regularly post and maintain the flicker group. You can see all the ways people are piecing the blocks. It is really amazing to see the variety. In case you missed the link to the flicker group on Barbara's site, here it is http://www.flickr.com/groups/grandmotherschoice/

Posts: 1087 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I could find a way to print or download the instructions.
Anyone been able to do this? I cannot see a link for printing.
Lee

Posts: 527 | Location: Fla | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a specific link to print the instructions. Last year, I just opened a word program and then copied and pasted the sections that I wanted and printed from there. If the block is simple, you can just take some notes and go from there. I am resizing the blocks (at least it is the plan for now) so I am using Block Base.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
oooOO I missed the part about signing up for an e-mail. Thanks for pointing that out. i did one or 2 of last years. Really wish I had kept up with it. Hopefully a book will be coming out about it. She does some really fun stuff with history.

posted Hide Post
I just went out to Barbara's blog and printed the instructions another way without using word. All that you have to do is highlight the cutting instructions and the diagram above it with the letters. Then open your "file" menu and select print, print selection only. I still have windows XP so I'm not sure if it will work the same for you. If you can't do it that way, then just copy and paste what you want into a word type program. Sometimes I like to copy an example of a pieced block too so putting it into word allows you to copy whatever parts you want! Another advantage of putting it into word, is that it allows you to save it and print later.

posted Hide Post
The book is due out in December. The Civil War blog is still up right now. I'm not sure how long it will be up but this is the link.

http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/

and this is the flicker site for Civil War BOW

http://www.flickr.com/groups/civilwarquilts2011/

Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
We are running Win7. I copy the part I want to print, and click on the little cogwheel in the right corner of the page. Select "print preview" and once that is loaded, click on the "down button" where it says "as laid out on screen", click "as selected on screen". Once that changes, I also go to the "shrink to fit" box and make it 100%. (or less if it will make it print lots of pages!) Then hit print. Sounds more complicated than it is! HTH :-)

Posts: 257 | Location: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jul 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who made the first block? Would be nice if more were going to post pictures. Today the second block will be posted.

Picture of quilterpat6226
posted Hide Post
I am waiting for the third block to post. Finished the first two blocks and will try to take pictures when i finsh the third.

Posts: 68 | Location: West Branch, MI | Registered: Mar 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Oh totally forgot this one. I didn't receive an email yet.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
My Amethyst block didn't turn out very well but I"m not going to do it again!

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I love your colors! The one today is stunning in red and white...oh no! Maybe I'll have to do 2 colorways...Well, I've got the fabric together for the first block...whew. I admire you all that can keep up. Smile

Smile

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nancy!
Here's my Union Square.

Picture of Celine
posted Hide Post
She has a new book coming out next year sometime and I have already pre ordered it.
A Civil War Sampler book...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ..._details_o02_s00_i00

Posts: 1660 | Location: New York | Registered: Oct 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
Celine, thanks for that info. I will pre-order mine asap. I didn't hear about the project until it was well over half way through. I copied some of the patterns, but it was just too much to catch up.

Anael, I have the patterns printed and fabrics pulled, just have to start cutting and sewing. I will post as soon as I can. I hate being behind already! I love your blocks and the colors! Great choice. I wanted to do mine that way too, but don't have enough of the right colors. I am thinking that I will just do scrappy, after all that is just what my Grandmothers would have done. :-)

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I've never pre-ordered before...does that mean I pay for it now???

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I once pre-ordered from Amazon and I didn't have to pay when ordering. I paid when the item was shipped.

Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
I would love to own thhis book! I'm putting it on my wish for christmas list!

Thanks for sharing this. I love seeig your blocks Anael7621! I love purple anyway!

Pam

Posts: 5693 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
I love the Union Square block. Have you tried steaming the one that you said didn't turn out well...the Amethyst one?

Devonne

Posts: 14931 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pam and Devonne. No I didn't try steaming yet, didn't dare to but I will do very carefully. Maybe that's the trick.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I still need to do the Sunflower but here's New Jersey, yesterday's block.

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
Anael7621 your blocks are beautiful and nicely made. You are going to have one gorgeous quilt when you are finished!

Martha

Posts: 6989 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous! Such beautiful work!!!

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Nancy, when do we get to see your blocks?

Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
Anael, your blocks are just beautiful! You sure are making progress. I am trying to catch up! Maybe that's what I will work on tomorrow. Thanks for showing your progress!

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Anael...ha! My fabric picks for the first block are in a pile on my ironing board! That's as far as I've gotten!!! I've read 2 of them and have a file to collect them on my computer...does that count??? Red Face

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
LOL at least you've done something Big Grin

I'm trying to finish my Sylvia blocks before I catch up with this one. I'm one block behind with Grandmother's Choice! The Sunflower block should be yellow and I don't use yellow in this quilt so I'm not sure what to do.

Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
Anael, I hear you! Fabric choices have be so hard for me on this one. There just aren't a lot available for the period. Try a neutral in place of the yellow???? Still catching up.

posted Hide Post
Does anyone have directions on how to put the last two blocks together. I'm having a lot of trouble sewing the sunflower so it will lay flat. I've cut the pieces of the last block but can't figure how to sew it. I've finished the first three and had no problems. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Posts: 68 | Location: West Branch, MI | Registered: Mar 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
quilterpat, let my try to walk you through the last block:
you take the rectangle and sew a small triangle to one short side. sew two large triangles to the long sides, attach the small dark rectangle, do the same with the second rectangle. sew both pieces together (small dark rectangle in the middle). The same with the other two rectangles. When you've done that you sew the long dark rectangle between both blocks. Attach the corner triangles and your done.
Does that make any sense? If not please ask again!

I didn't make the Sunflowerblock yet, maybe this weekend.

posted Hide Post
Thank you Anael for the directions for the New Jersey block. After reading you reply, a light came on in my head and it all came together. I just received the new block pattern and looks simple. Thanks again for the quick response.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
You're welcome, glad I could help!

Do you have EQ5, 6 or 7? I printed Aunt Eliza's Star from EQ5 Big Grin I read about the 1/16" seam and I thought maybe I have that block somewhere so now I can use foundation piecing!

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Here's Aunt Eliza's Star. I didn't use the EQ pattern as it was different from the pattern on Barbara's site.

posted Hide Post
bring forward

Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I have 3 done will try to post pictures.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
I made Brick Pavement but still have to make last weeks block!

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Here's the next one: New York

posted Hide Post
Anael17621...your blocks are just beautiful,such perfection.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9882 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Here's one of the blocks I still had to do. The points aren't missing, the block might be a bit too large for the scanner, I don't know!

Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
Oh, I love how you handled that one! (Why didn't I think of that??) I was not looking forward to piecing those strings! Thanks Anael for the idea!!!

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sara! I didn't want to piece those strings either so I went through my stash and found this fabric waiting for something. I guess this was the block Big Grin Now I still have to make the Sunflower block!

Picture of BlueSkies7
posted Hide Post
I'm dreading that one! It may wait awhile before I get to it.LOL I'm digging through my stash for a good stripe for The Road To Kansas. Let me know if the Sunflower is as hard as it looks. I was thinking of using a featherweight iron on pellon to keep the pieces from streching.

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Sara, I will let you know. I'm trying to make the Sunflower block this week.