Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  HAHHAHA JUST GOT A CALL ... OT ....PHISHING ... 'scam' technique
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HAHHAHA JUST GOT A CALL ... OT ....PHISHING ... 'scam' technique Sign In/Join 
Picture of City/Sandie
posted
.. your computer is getting ERROR messages ..
.. this is *&*( at Microsoft and ...
... this is Pierre or someother guy with an accent and you are having WINDOWS issues
.............REALLY?? PROBABLY NOT .........
SAY NO AND HANG UP .....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: City/Sandie,

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9144 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so thankful for caller I'D. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.

Posts: 2317 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I've been getting a rash of "threatening" snail mails saying I promised to renew a magazine, then never paid. Bologna...I never sent them anything saying renew now/bill later. Looked online & I'm not the only one getting these same bogus letters.

Posts: 6125 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17370 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Still waiting to hear what the magazine has to say about this... Was thinking Attorney General's office, too.

Posts: 6125 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
Oh Sandy I got one of these calls, and they told me to go to my computer and do such and such and did this happen. Well, yes it did. Try this....etc. etc. etc. Now half an hour later they wanted me to pay and I said no thank you and I hung up. Now 1/2 hour of his wasted time has gone and without a sale. I haven't been called since. lol

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3082 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GAQuilter
posted Hide Post
Sewnso, they will call back! They call all the time, my patent answer is thank you for telling me there is an issue, my husband, will take care of it tonight and I hang up! Last time they called I said not on my new computer!!! I will take it back to the store now, or I tell them I have a mac!!! The other is which computer I have 7? They do not care for my responses! I have asked to be removed from their call list but I do not think/believe they are calling from here! Big Grin Wish I had caller ID.

Group Hug

If you can dream it you can do it. Walt Disney

http://picasaweb.google.com/GAquilter

Posts: 2650 | Location: GA | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
...however sewnso ... you may have given them access to everything in your computer ... they don't need to call you again ... I'd suggest having someone check stuff... and change your password RIGHT NOW .... CHECK YOUR COOKIES AND DLETE THEM, ... you will have to restore any saved passwords .. no biggy when you consider the access that may have been achieved.
I had to have my whole computer cleaned up and that was NOT fun trying to keep things and failing to save stuff that I really wanted. don't wait.

Wounded Warrior Project

Posts: 9144 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I LOVE caller ID on my phone...I have a little "maid" that tells me what the number is out loud. I'm saved from answering at least 5 calls a day!!!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9036 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
They do call back, over and over again! I have found, after numerous unwanted calls, to just pick up the phone, say your greeting and when there is a silence followed by a little clicking noise ... that is how I know it is a scammer. I simply hold the line, don't reply to them, and now they appear to have given up. That is until the next scam comes.

Posts: 457 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have gottem several of those calls. Didn't fall for thank goodness. Told them that I got my computer worked on locally.

Foreign accents don't alarm us anymore since so many tech supports are not here in the good ole USA.

Dh came close to falling for a bank scam a while back. He stopped in time.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6376 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
My DH will let me retire but will not go for Caller ID. Go figure. So I don't answer and I get lots of hang ups. On the rare occasions I do puck up I ask if I can call them back as I am busy. No takers!

Posts: 1130 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
This happened last year and I never had any problems with my computer after. I was very careful about what I was doing. They did not have any access to my computer I did the surfing and they told me what I would find. They were right....all was normal, but they were trying to convince me things weren't normal. After I clued in I let them believe I was doing to my computer what they asked and let them tell me what I was seeing. Now when anyone asks about my computer I tell them I don't have one. I think I've only had 1 call since then, but my second mom has had and I told them she didn't have a computer....they hung up right away.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sewnso,

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3082 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was getting those calls all the time. Several times I would answer and hang up and they would call right back, same person, different number would show on the caller ID. I now know which numbers they are and will not answer. Several times I told them any problem I had was fixed by my computer nerd nephews.

Posts: 542 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: Apr 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marion2
posted Hide Post
My brother blows a whistle into the phone and sometimes he asks them to turn up their volume first. :-)

Posts: 5737 | Location: OK | Registered: Jun 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I get a human on the line I tell them No thanks. Remove my name and phone number from your calling list. Once I was told I had to call another number to do that and I bluffed through it with "No I don't. You called Texas. All I have to do is notify the Public Utilities Commission and they will contact your company and you told me your name..." I did not hear from that company again.

There's some half-truth in what I told them because the Texas PUC is an entity you don't want messing with you. So...just insert the name of your state and bluff through it. Smile

Posts: 17370 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewandsew
posted Hide Post
I got the call but was wise because my neighbor fell for it and really had problems.

Anyway, my caller ID had my husband's name plus our phone number and that was the only reason I answered it. I didn't think at the time how he could be calling.

Yes, the guy has a foreign accent and said there was a problem with my computer. Man did I have fun. I kept him on the line asking him which computer and other questions and played dumb. He finally hung up.

Grandmas beware of the grandson/daughter call asking for help. That's gone around here a few times.

Posts: 604 | Location: Home | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL Oh! DH told me that one time his brother politely told a telemarketer no thank you. The guy asked if he was sure he didn't want to make more money on his investments. BIL told him that he had enough money thank you very much. The telemarketer was speechless and just hung up. Smile

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
now I know why I can't connect to the hotel wi-fi; I'm having windows problems

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3674 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
These phone calls are a pain. I know enough about computers to be dangerous - so love to play these people along. Actually haven't had a call in awhile. Love the blowing of the whistle..

Posts: 8198 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
Maybe ask what computer? I don't own one and hang up. As far as the mail probably not but maybe the police would take notice and suggest what to do.. or your local news like here we have channel 7--- they like to go for scam artists unlike the law

Posts: 3066 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grandmas beware of the grandson/daughter call asking for help. That's gone around here a few times

---------------
My FIL received that scam call. Luckily he knew that our son would never call him and ask for money. They claimed to be police, stating that our son caused an accident and was now in jail needing bail money.

Posts: 3641 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sewandsew:
Yes, the guy has a foreign accent and said there was a problem with my computer. Man did I have fun. I kept him on the line asking him which computer and other questions and played dumb. He finally hung up.

I did the same when I was cleaning out Dad's house a month ago. I told the man he just got taken as the number called was a deceased man's that never had a computer.
on the flip side I saw on the id an 855 number and almost didn't answer today. It was the fraud department of my credit card. I thanked them and said I would call the number on the card for verification. Yep, someone charged 29.99 soooo a new card will be in the mail soon. *sigh*

piney

Posts: 3240 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
Just got a call from a San Antonia number ... when I told her I don't even have a computer she said 'uuuh, you don't have a computer? I said no you must have the wrong number ... I hung up with her still trying to figure out where to go with the conversation ... hahahaha that was kind of fun as I had made her repeat everything she said - who she was and why she was calling and who she was calling for and her sales pitch ....
the sad part is, I think some of these callers may not know they are working for scammers! Maybe I'll start asking them if they are the scammer or just working for one ..

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I had that same call, something wrong with your computer, foreign accent, but he gave me a Polish surname! I told him he didn't "sound" Polish. I told him about my Polish grandmother, asked about his, blah blah, blah. He hung up on ME!

Posts: 3641 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Got a telemarketer once who wanted me to give money to something...I finally said ok, $10. He said, "oh I don't have a square for that amount", and I said, "Well, then, you don't get anything!" He hung up.

A friend (lawyer) would sometime scream. They would hang up, She was extremely inventive...she pretended to be a nutjob receiving signals from outerspace on her TV antennae to get some TV marketers to hang up. The best was when she gave out a fake SS# and led them on, then told them all the laws and codes they were breaking and told them how much more time they would be serving in prison (she figured out that's where they were calling from)for this scam.

Posts: 9036 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
My fav "messing with a telemarketer" of all time was the call that came in @ suppertime, asking for my DH. I gave the usual annoyed reply of He'sNotHereCanITakeAMessage, to which the marketer said cheerily, "Is this Mrs. ______?" -- hoping she could give me her spiel instead.

I replied, "Mrs?! He told me he wasn't married!!!!" Mad

A moment of silence on the other end, and then she gasped, "Oh! Oh! Oh! I'm so sorry!!" Red Face

I eventually told her to settle down, it was OK, I was only messing with her. But for a moment there, I sure got her gooooooooood. Big Grin

She said she was never going to ask that question again! Razz

Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
Starrysky, that's a good one, lol! Big Grin

I got a text message today, with phone number, that asked "how do I look?" I just deleted it.

Devonne

Posts: 15000 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
telemarker this week I just said Hi Rachel how ya doing. how is your mom doing, i kept it going asking her hobbies, telling her all about a book i am reading,, finally let her go, should have ask oh honey if you are getting paid when you sell something, you may wish to take my number off cause i have no money. I kept her chatting quite a while..

Posts: 3066 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
I replied, "Mrs?! He told me he wasn't married!!!!"

Just fell on the floor screaming with laughter...

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
elemarker this week I just said Hi Rachel how ya doing. how is your mom doing, i kept it going asking her hobbies, telling her all about a book i am reading,, finally let her go, should have ask oh honey if you are getting paid when you sell something, you may wish to take my number off cause i have no money. I kept her chatting quite a while..

can hardly get my breath...you folks a re so funny!!!!

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
DH has started playing jokes on constant telemarketers that would make most people blush. But it's still too funny!

Sue, I won't pay for caller ID either. I bought a $15 answering machine. I let it pick up all my calls, if the caller doesn't ID themselves then we're not picking up. Wink

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7574 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ljptexas
posted Hide Post
Something my DD told me to try. Haven't done it in the past but right now I am…
When you get something that you don't want anymore of, return the application back to them in their return address. I've done this with note "no longer living here, do not send anymore!"
Hope they get the message?!!

Posts: 154 | Location: NE of Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Well that was interesting. Just got a call that showed up on Caller ID as OUR name & OUR home phone number! Confused

I answered it just to see what was up with that. It was a robo call about reducing credit card interest. (What's that - we pay in full.)

I can't Call Block that number, since it's mine. Roll Eyes Reminds me of that old scary movie: "Get out NOW -- He's calling from inside the house!!!" Eek Except this time, it's telemarketers, not anyone with an axe or a chainsaw. I hope. Big Grin

Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
Very familiar.. I keep getting the credit card calls too. They replaced Rachel with Bridget and Carmen and the phone # on the caller ID is two digits away from my number.. I just let them go on and on and they eventually hang up when I say nothing. .but I am wasting their time.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Today mine was Lisa.

Posts: 8219 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Starry- I got that same call. I wonder how and WHY they make it look like our own phone number?

I answered the call because my 90 yr old father in law has the same name, and I assumed he was calling. As he NEVER calls, I was concerned, only to find it was a sales call.

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you get something that you don't want anymore of, return the application back to them in their return address. I've done this with note "no longer living here, do not send anymore!"Hope they get the message?!!

This makes me think of mail I had to stop when my mom passed away. I would send the information back and mark it deceased. This worked for everyone except for one company. I kept receiving mail from them over and over again for many months, no matter what I marked on it. Finally, I wrote "she's dead" and that stopped it. Sheesh.

Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
.... I still get one from a funeral place offering Free Cremation .... I returned the one addressed to my mom, with a note, "my kids already paid for my cremation, I'm in Willamette National Cemetary with my husband, could you just send a refund to my kids?" That ended that one, but now they come to me!!!

Wounded Warrior Project

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Had to tell the cell phone company to go jump in a lake this morning. Don't call us; we'll call you (or not). The call showed up on ID as "Private Caller." I thought it was my elderly neighbor, so I answered.

Now why couldn't that company have allowed their name to show up on Caller ID? They got no further with my answering the call than if I hadn't answered & had let the machine get it. In fact, they moved back a space because I told the rep to remove my number from their call list.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StarrySky,

Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
They're getting sneakier. I've been getting some of those private callers too. Clunk.

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I don't know why they even bother calling. Does ANYONE sit at home and think, "Gee, I'd switch my phone plan, my cable plan, my insurance, my banking, and my credit card, IF SOMEONE WOULD CALL & MAKE AN OFFER..."

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Just had another call from Microsoft Windows.. foreign (probably Indian) voice. Just answered their first question politely and hung up.

Posts: 8198 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starry, my husband was actually able to change "private caller" or "cell phone" to a name we put in associated with a number. Maybe there is a way you can do it too for those private or cell numbers that you would want to recognize. We were not sure that it would work, but it did.

Posts: 1202 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I'll have to pull out the phone instruction book (more like a volume of the encyclopedia) & see if there are any options for private numbers we would like to recognize (neighbors).

I have space to call block 30 numbers at a time, but that is constantly full! The telemarketers use a ton of different numbers, it seems. When a new one comes in, I have to decided which old one to erase to make room. Roll Eyes

Picture of GAQuilter
posted Hide Post
I got a telemarketer on my cell phone the other day, I knew it was because of the way it came on the phone. I answered in French and really confused the poor person, they did not know what to do with a foreign language! LOL! I am so bad! I have not received another call though! Big Grin

Group Hug

If you can dream it you can do it. Walt Disney

http://picasaweb.google.com/GAquilter

Posts: 2650 | Location: GA | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post