Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Fons and Porter Postage Stamp quilt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fons and Porter Postage Stamp quilt Sign In/Join 
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted
Just wondering if anyone has a picture of the Fons and Porter Postage Stamp quilt. I think it may be in the current issue. My friend wants to make one and asked if I could help her draft it in EQ6.

I know what a postage stamp quilt is, but I'm just wondering what makes the one in Fons and Porter special or different.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Will Quilt for Chocolate,

Posts: 4992 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this is the one you are looking for but F&P have a free pattern for a quilt called "Philadelphia Pavement" that they refer to as a "postage-stamp style quilt".

Here's a link to a pic and the pattern if you want to check it out.

Martha

Posts: 7085 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to show that one to her. I'm thinking that she said it's in the current issue. I'll go and make that clear in my original message...

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
In their blog they have links to sneak peeks of the patterns in the July/August 1023 issue. Here's a link to the blog.

None is what I would consider a postage stamp quilt but they say this one was inspired by postage-stamp fabric????

Editing to add a link to their sneak peek of the quilts in the May/June issue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bozie,

Martha

Posts: 7085 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Bozie! She got me a picture of the picture! I think she's a little crazy for taking this on!

Thanks for trying to help me! You are the only one who replied and I appreciate it!

posted Hide Post
Wow thats a lot of stamps,looks like some real vintage fabrics in it too. I quit subscribing to their magazine a couple years ago and don't even buy it now.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10064 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm the same as you, May. It's been about 6 years since I've taken that magazine. I keep getting offers and free trials, but I'm not interested either.

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
It does look a lot like the Philadelphia Pavement one - just different colors. I don't think it would be that difficult to make using strip piecing. And maybe not that difficult to draft using the block and sash layout they show. (Easy for me to say - I'm not going to be doing either, LOL)

But you did get me thinking about postage stamp quilts. I've done a mini TAW but there are other versions that are more interesting............ hmmmmmm........

Martha

posted Hide Post
I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to make a block out of that. I just found and fwd that pattern to my friend though...

Thanks again!

Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
i saw this pattern in the magazine... Just think, when these quilts were popular, they were made entirely by hand. Can you imagine sewing all those itty bitty (finished at) 1" squares into even a double sized quilt?????? It just boggles the mind - especially if all the prints were different!

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2228 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you imagine sewing all those itty bitty (finished at) 1" squares into even a double sized quilt?????? It just boggles the mind - especially if all the prints were different!

Yes! I know there can be variations in sizes of quilts for different size beds but - if you say a double bed size quilt could be 80" x 90" - and is made from 1" squares of unique fabrics (no one used twice) - that would require 7200 different fabrics. Eek Even a crib size - maybe about 36" x 54" - would need 1944 fabric squares.

Martha

posted Hide Post
Bozie...I found a PDF for that quilt and sent it to my friend. It was just what she was looking for! Thanks so much for that!

Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
Wow, Bozie, that sure is a lot of fabric! Of course, the pattern used 2 orange and 2 blue squares in each 'row' of the quilt...and there are the large white squares... Not sure how many that would subtract from the patchiness. I bet there are a few people on this board who might be able to come up with a total charm quilt though.

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2228 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bozie...I found a PDF for that quilt and sent it to my friend. It was just what she was looking for! Thanks so much for that!

Other than the F&P one I posted? That's the one I was referring to when I said I thought it shouldn't be too difficult to draft. Could just substitute whatever fabrics your friend wants to use. Smile

Martha

posted Hide Post
Well now I have egg on my face...I never saw that the first time! Good grief! But yes, that is the one!

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
LOL Sometimes the best hiding place is in plain sight. Big Grin

Martha