Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Problem with marking a quilt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with marking a quilt Sign In/Join 
posted
I need help with marking a quilt design.
i have use pencils and the ponce and the design just doesn't show up on the fabric. The fabric is purple and white. What else can i uses to quilt a design with.

Posts: 78 | Location: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawana
posted Hide Post
They make marking pens in various colors. The marks disappear with friction/heat. The brand I use is Pilot Frixion but there are other brands.
You could also use the Clover Chalk marker.

Shawn

"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best."

~ Live Well ~ Love Much ~ Laugh Often ~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srtrn/sets/

Posts: 3564 | Location: WV | Registered: Dec 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure more experienced quilters will have a better solution, but I sharpen regular chalk. It doesn't give a very defined line unless you continually sharpen it, but I use it often. I have even used colored chalk but I think I remember someone on the boards saying it was hard to get out. I have never had any problem getting it out. Best of luck!
Susan

Posts: 725 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
A friend also recommended the Pilot Frixion to me too. I have not purchased one yet.

On dark fabrics I use a sliver of soap.

Posts: 16981 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
On patterned fabrics I use Golden Threads or tracing paper and sew thru it. On Fons & Porter yesterday the expert said she uses regular chalk sticks but NEVER colored chalk. Contains chemicals that might not disappear.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I used the Pilot Frixion pens to align some designs on Purple Kona, gold Kona, and green Kona fabrics. Left bleach out markings that refused to disappear. Thank heavens it was only an Nan's apron! Tossed the pens in the trash. I have used washable Crayon markers with success.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
I use the washable Crayola markers when my pounce doesn't show up. Also have used Quilter's Pencils. Don't use a marking pencil with wax in it!

Posts: 5771 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LisaP8
posted Hide Post
I like the Sewline pencils. I have the one with two color ceramic leads (black and white) and the stylus. I want to try the Golden Threads, though, that's on my list.

Lisa Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I know how you turn a blanket into a quilt, Mom. You add some love to it." ~ J., 7/08, age 7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 8863 | Location: NY | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wash all my quilts before giving them out so I use Crayola WASHABLE markers when my sliver of white soap or white chalk does not work. I love,love,love the Golden Thread paper. I do not use Yellow anything for marking quilts,it is the one with sulfa and does not come out sometimes ever.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10064 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
The Frixion pens will leave permanent marks. If the fabric ever gets cold, the marks reappear, then you have to either iron the quilt or throw it in the dryer.

If I'm working on something that is show or (I hope) heirloom quality, I would not want anything that leaves chemical residue.

I've had really good luck with the SewLine pencils with different colored leads. I have also used the Saral brand of "carbon" paper in different colors.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6622 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post