Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Looking for your opinion before I sew ...UPDATE showing pic of quilttop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for your opinion before I sew ...UPDATE showing pic of quilttop Sign In/Join 
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted
I am making 2 very large quilt blocks. The finished size is 24 inches square. I plan to use the 2 blocks with 2 pillow panels to make up 48 inches which will be the center of a quilt. I plan to use other fabrics to enlarge the 48 inches.

This is the block I am making....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Miss Lensews2,

Posts: 5323 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
That is not sewn together yet, that is why the points & corners are not matched up.

After making the first of the 2 blocks I was trying to decide if I liked the block or not. I wondered if perhaps I should just make a solid star in dark surrounded in light & for the second block, do the opposite, using a light star surrounded by dark.

Here are the 2 variations...

Posts: 5323 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
and...

Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
I had planned to use one of the stars on the left and on the right attach the panel, then under the star I would attach the other panel & under the top panel I would attach the second star.

I can't decide if I should sew it up as originally planned (photo 1) or use the 2 solid star blocks instead. ?????? I think I need need another opinion.

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
Difficult to make a recommendation without seeing the the other fabrics you intend to use but I think the first block you show is way more interesting than the solid star version, especially for blocks of that size.

Martha

Posts: 7165 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the solid star versions, but like Bozie said, hard to tell without seeing the other fabrics.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bozie. I have been scrolling up & down looking at those pictures & I think I am inclined to agree. My friend suggested I work with larger blocks so this is a first for me.

Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Quilter Jen. The other fabrics are 2 wildlife panels of eagles. One in flight & one perched. I should have taken pictures of the panels today too. I plan to use maybe some black & some brown & more of the green I have used on those blocks, to enlarge this into a quilt top.

posted Hide Post
I would also consider what quilting you want to do-- I think quilting would be highlighted on the solid stars, but not as much on the variegated stars.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
I really had not given much thought to the quilting, which is the part I am not very good with at all. I usually do stitch in the ditch, straight lines or grids. I am now thinking those solid stars would really call attention to the quilting & that, in my case, would not be a good thing. Another reason to perhaps stick with my original plan. Thanks QJ for mentioning the plan for the quilting.

Btw, this will be used by my bachelor son.

Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
Those are some nice blocks Lens. Have you made the second block yet? If not, go ahead and make the parts for it and lay them out with your panels, rearrange to the different options. Take a picture and see what jumps out at you. I do like the first block, but it might have too much pattern to compete with the eagles.

As for your quilting, if you use the first block you could do some continuous curves in the sections and possibly some swirl/curls in the solid sections to hold it but not need to have it all match perfectly. Don't forget to try a stencil to help with quilting designs. They sure help me.

Madelyn

Posts: 6189 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I love your color combinations. (Did you mean to match them to the room just outside the door? lol)

I like the 3rd photo, with the light color as the solid center. Makes the fabric pop. I'm guessing you want the eagle panels to be your focal points on the quilt. You picked gorgeous fabrics to match with. Great job!!

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 489 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
I like the first one best, but may be too busy when added to the other things... Chris

Posts: 6224 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
If you post a picture of your panel or just the name of the fabric I can find a pic and draw some combinations in EQ7. Smile

Martha

Posts: 7165 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
Me again. I just had to play....

These aren't the fabrics you used and must likely the panel isn't what you have. But here are EQ drawings of the three different versions of your 24" block along with the image from the center of an eagle pillow panel. It's one in the "Wild Wings of Glory"pillow panels from Springs Creative.

Since I didn't know the exact size of the picture in your panel I arbitrarily cropped the center of the picture of the fabric at 16" and added borders to bring it up to the 24" size of your pieced blocks. Also added some additional plain borders to give the center a more quilt like look. Can easily change that if there are other looks you would like to see.

Here is a drawing using the dark stars as the pieced blocks.

Martha

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
...and the light stars

Martha

Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
...and the mixed...

Martha

Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
yup, saw this post last night, and do like the first blk, but thought about it and was not sure what it would be like with the panel. And now Bozie, you have made me realize, I like the first blk the best!!! The eagle represents movement, and these blks do too!! I like the last grouping you have posted and so, I would do the first block for this quilt. yup, I like it!!!

Posts: 2385 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Ohhh Bozie...Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I LOVE those mock ups & especially love the two tone star version. Guess my decision is made.

Love the eagle panel you used, it is indeed very similar. The panels I have are Hautman panels & have much brown & green in them which I may have to use in order to bring the panels up to size. I really love the look you created by cropping the panels though.

posted Hide Post
Oohhhh, Bozie, you did it again.

Lens, I really like the last option Bozie posted. With the split star blocks it helps to direct the eyes to the eagles and contain the wonder where to look approach, those green points look like they are directing you to the middle line and the yellow helps to contain things.

Great job.

Madelyn

Posts: 6189 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
I love the first block best & now that I see it in Bozie's EQ drawings I love it even more.

Thank you Bozie, for bringing these blocks to life...you & EQ are just the very, very BEST!

Nicki

Posts: 8326 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
Glad I could help. Smile

I think my minds eye is blind - I can't really picture quilt designs without drawing or sewing them. Drawing is much easier so I do that first with just about all of the quilts I make.

Martha

Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
Bozie to the rescue Smile I love what she did and agree the last one is awesome,going to be a really neat quilt Len,how neat to do a block the sz of the panel!!!.Can't wait to see it.

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8972 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
....I, too like that third one, but then I like that block ... I like the movement, think it works well with those eagles in flight ...

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9133 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AngelaC
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 3rd of Bozie's mock-ups (2 tone stars) Smile

Posts: 4691 | Registered: Apr 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
Well here it is... the quilt top is finished. I had to do it this way because I only had so much of each fabric in my stash & wanted to use up what I had on hand only. Just barely had enough of each fabric to get this done. Very few scraps left. I also wanted to thank everyone for your input & helpful comments. They inspired me to stop the planning & start the sewing.

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Very good! I love seeing follow-up. Funny how fabrics always look better in a quilt. I have some deer fabric that my neighbor wants as a quilt for her Dh's hunting room. Looks like a great quilt for that too.

Posts: 7481 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
That turned out great!!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Great looking quilt Len! Smile

Posts: 10562 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great job!

Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!!!

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3065 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
I do like that! Very nice. I may copy some of that in a quilt for DH.

Posts: 948 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!! I love how the four patch in the very center plays off the yellow and the green. The brown in the outer border works perfectly with the brown in the panels! You have a good eye Len!

Posts: 5029 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful Len!! What a great 'man' quilt! I like those big blocks and they play perfectly along with the eagles. Be sure to show us when it's done, please!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lens, what a perfect choice and job well done.

Madelyn

Picture of wildcatmom
posted Hide Post
I love the way that turned out!
I think it's fun when you find the perfect combination of fabrics and have to "think outside the box" to make them work for the project.

I have to use camera to audition fabrics when making any quilt. Skills with computer software is another great benefit we have that quilters didn't have in the past. We are so fortunate!!!

~karen Wave

Posts: 3264 | Location: SE KS | Registered: Jul 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Turned out great!! Learning how to actually use EQ is on my list of things to do Smile I got a new computer a couple of years ago and never got around to reloading EQ onto it. I should check with the quilt shops and see if any are going to be offering classes - I'd like to learn to actually "use" it the way it was designed.

Posts: 6653 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
Awesome quilt Len!!Love the design and colors!!!

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8972 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Oh, wow, Lens! l love the way this quilt turned out. You did great! l like that you used up scraps, too. Way to go!!!

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9581 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post