Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sorting batiks Sign In/Join 
Picture of nancyc20
posted
I've always kept my batiks together in a container. Now I'm branching out and using batiks with other fabrics and not being so purist about it. I've been collecting fabric in colors now...purples, blues, aquas, and chartreuse(s). So now I'm conflicted about putting the aqua etc. batiks in the batik box because they go whith the other aqua fabrics. Oh what to do?

How do you sort (or not) your batiks?

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8900 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Joyce
posted Hide Post
I'll be interested in others answers.
I've always kept batiks together. I've several bins of them one of whole pieces 1/2 yards or better.
The other is scraps I save for applique. I don't often use batiks with other fabric, but I don't have a good reason for that.

Posts: 930 | Location: Washington | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a drawer for scrap sized batiks and large containers for larger pieces including fat quarters. The larger containers are organized somewhat by color. I did have those that were prewashed separated from those that were not. Batiks are one of the few types of fabrics that I prewash before using. I know where they are and to look should the "need" arise.

Posts: 1167 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SavedSinnr
posted Hide Post
I keep my batiks together, and then bring them out to play as needed Smile

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 8008 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I keep mine together - not sure why Smile - but check them when I'm working on a project for color and mix them with other fabrics. I'm getting enough of a stash of batiks that I am considering blending them into the color categories but just haven't done that yet. I'm outgrowing my wardrobes......

Posts: 6653 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
I like to keep all of my batiks together too Smile. Just started doing it that way several years ago and have kept it that way.

Good luck with your plan!

Posts: 5055 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
My batiks stay together too. I can still mix them with prints in a quilt if I decide to do so, but most often, I use a collection of all batiks.

Posts: 3641 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Another one here who keeps batiks together.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
I keep mine together as they want to play together and have fun.

Happy Stitching...Lois

Posts: 2236 | Location: Chanhassen, MN | Registered: Aug 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I did buy a bunch of aqua batiks to go with other aquas for a project, so maybe I'll just keep those together and keep all the rest of the batiks together like I always have. That seems to be the best plan. I don't have to change the whole system. Those fabrics are planned to go together and when I'm done with them I can put them back in the designated batik system. Whew. Too much thinking there. Thanks, chums! Smile

Posts: 8900 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
Out of sight, out of mind. I would just put them in their colour category. The batiks can be together, but in the group of like colours - this way, I will know when they need to be added to a project - when that is the 'pop' of fabric I need in it.

One rule of organization is to keep like things together. Batiks are fabric, why are they separate?

Just a thought.......

Posts: 2387 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep them all together ..like pea's in a pod Smile

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10150 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
One rule of organization is to keep like things together. Batiks are fabric, why are they separate?

LL: That's my new conflict...I'm using them with everyt hing now!! They look great with Kaffe Fassets and plaids. I need to get them all sewed up so I don't have this conflict any more! Ha!

Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Good for you Nancy!!!! I fell in love with a quilt a billion yrs ago now (at least that is how long it feels now!! Wink ) and this was the first time I had seen batiks and 'regular' fabrics mixed. Confused

I LOVED IT!!!! And so, I do not see any difference in these fabrics anymore - just like the 'regular' fabrics, some I like better then others, but they all belong together and I keep them that way! Smile Just like crayons in a box, they all have a place to live and get along with each other!! Wink

Big Grin Good for you using them everywhere!! Betcha' are making magic with them too!! Big Grin

Posts: 2387 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Batiks seem to make the other colors glow and shimmer...so much depth! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
Mine are all together. Some are purchased here, some in Indonesia but now they're mixed and I can't exactly remember which I got in Bali. I just HAVE to make a quilt with just them one of these days.

Posts: 9587 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I keep my batiks with each other, too. They feel different than other fabric, many have a right/wrong side that's almost impossible to discern, and they tend to bleed like crazy.

That last reason alone is enough for me to keep them separate, and to stack similar colors of batiks with each other. What is the term -- crocking? -- where you can have the transfer of dye from one fabric to another, even without wetting them. I don't want any excess dye to rub off onto any other fabrics but batiks.

I do have a note inside my main fabric storage cabinet doors that says, "Have you considered a batik?" That gives me a reminder whap upside the head when I'm digging around in the stacks, trying to find the right look. (I also have a note like that about solids, too.)

Posts: 6003 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Just a little side thought. With the price of batiks and the trouble they can cause when wet, I lean towards using a Moda Marble type of fabric over a batik in many if not most projects.

Batiks are great, and they have their uses, but you have to treat them like the prima donnas they can be.

Posts: 6003 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
I mix them all together. I used to separate my batiks, but then I found myself digging through multiple drawers looking for pink or purple or whatever. So, they now all live happily together in bins by color.

BTW, that was a major job of sorting. I determined to lay my hands on every piece of fabric I own while reorganizing. That was sobering (or enough to send me off for a dr*ink).

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6656 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
I just ordered more batiks. bwaahahahahaha!... thereby compounding the problem. What a delicious problem to have. Poor me. Smile

Picture of wannaquilt2
posted Hide Post
Batiks are my favorite and I store them together. They are so elegant and color saturated that I often wonder what fabric could possibly come along to top them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wannaquilt2,

"We are all here.....because we are not all there."

Posts: 1940 | Location: Hither & Yon | Registered: Sep 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I break out in sweats (no drooling here) whenever I see this pile of samples that were in a factory in Bali but alas, she would not sell me any of these.

Posts: 9587 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh..........sigh................