Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Machine Finished Bindings Help!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Machine Finished Bindings Help! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Elainetoo
posted
So frustrated. I've tried and tried, now ripping out another binding. I cannot get an even looking sewn line on the back and will have places where the backing slips out from the binding and or missed the binding altogether. I've pinned every inch carefully. Nothing works for me. I prefer a hand sewn binding, but with these 'quick' quilts that I'm doing - would like to be able to machine finish some of them.

If you machine finish, what have you found that works for you? Any hints or tips? Do you have a favorite training video link? (Haven't searched yet)

Thank you.

Posts: 7981 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
For my machine finished bindings, I sew the binding to the BACK first, putting fusible thread in the bobbin. Then turn the binding to the front and iron. The fusing coating on the bobbin thread will hold it in place long enough for me to switch out bobbins and stitch the front down. Sometimes I use a decorative stitch on the front, sometimes a buttonhole stitch. Match the bobbin thread to the back and it doesn't show too much where you may be off.

Posts: 5666 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Here's a great tutorial that was posted recently by TcMay. It comes in 2 parts & is really good.

http://becauseisaysew.blogspot...ple-part-1-back.html

http://becauseisaysew.blogspot...plepart-2-front.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nlk,

Nicki

Posts: 7922 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
McPatch, fusible THREAD!!! Where have I been! I doubt I will try this, I like to hand sew. But WOW that's a good idea! I need to remember this... or not you'all will remind me if I forget. Big Grin

Thanks, Deb

Posts: 978 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deb - you took the words out of my mouth - fusible thread?! I, too, prefer to hand sew my bindings, but the idea of fusible thread is one I hope to remember, too!
Susan

Posts: 706 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I have sewn the binding to the back of the quilt, using abt 3/8" seam. Press it really good, then fold over to the front. I pin the binding down and use a zig-zag stitch to secure the binding to the front. The zig-zags (of course) show on the back. If my (machine) sewed a straighter line, I would probly use that stitch.
I did my mugrugs this way; and finished another quilt like this because I didn't want (or have time) to hand-sew the usual way.
Did that make sense?

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3533 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Fusible thread??? Never heard of that before. May, where do you find such a thing?

Who knows what other neat things are out there that I've never seen before?!?!

As for the machine bindings, I just learned how to do them and used a decorative stitch. While I prefer a hand stitched binding, it will be very handy to know how to do machine binding if I want.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Florida Farm Girl,

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6212 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
I also, stitch to the back first. Then just pull it to the front and use a plain straight stitch to stitch it down. My bindings have been much more even on both sides this way, and it saves my hands from developing issues more than they already have.

Madelyn

Posts: 6039 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twostep
posted Hide Post
I use little dots of Elmer's Washable School Glue to hold my binding in place in order to stitch. Much cheaper.

http://sandyquilts.blogspot.co...glue-and-quilts.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Twostep,

Posts: 6773 | Location: Bubbleland | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your input.

I have been taught to sew to the front, then finish on the back. So going to try this method soon and the fusible thread. And will read TCMay's items later.

Got the binding unsewn, ready to redo.

Off to quilt meeting and annual picnic with only one donation this month (sigh).

Posts: 7981 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
After being told all QOV need machine stitched binding I started using the stitch to back and fold to the front method. I use a blanket stitch and curve the corners. Curved corners look better on a bed and are much easier to bind. I don't glue, fuse, or pin it first. I do steam the curved corners first to be sure I don't have puckers. Now I do all baby and children's quilts this way to make them more durable.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
when I want to machine stitch my binding turned over to the back of the quilt, I always fold it back and pin, pin, pin. I put straight pins through the front of the quilt, catching the binding. right next to the binding on the front. I check each pin and usually don't miss any of it on the back when sewing.

CC

Posts: 4591 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
No help on the bindings, but for those who never before heard of fusible thread, do you also know there is water soluble thread? It just washes away. I used some of this on a practice trapunto block a few years ago. Really neat product.

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2180 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Lois, yes, I've got some water soluable thread and have used it in the bobbin on my frame to practice free motion quilting. Quilt about 3-4 times in the same place for practice then wash it out and do it again.

I've gotten the fusible and water soluable thread from vendors at quilt shows or on-line. Don't know if Joann's, Hancock's or Hobby Lobby has it. The quilt shops in PA didn't and looked at me kind of funny when I asked.

Posts: 5666 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by native Texan:
when I want to machine stitch my binding turned over to the back of the quilt, I always fold it back and pin, pin, pin. I put straight pins through the front of the quilt, catching the binding. right next to the binding on the front. I check each pin and usually don't miss any of it on the back when sewing.

That's what I do, and it doesn't work for me.. wonder if it's more my feed dogs and walking foot bad interaction?

Oh well, going to try the back to front method on the next quilt and see what happens.

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Something that has helped me with this problem is to serge all around the quilt before sewing on the binding. This makes a nice clean flat edge. Another thing that helps is getting the first seam nice and straight and just the right size so the binding will cover it when finished - and that took me lots of tries to get right!

Posts: 6472 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post