Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  OT- Would you write a letter to a soldier? FINAL COUNT!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT- Would you write a letter to a soldier? FINAL COUNT!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted
This is off topic. My son is in the Jr. ROTC program at his high school. To attain his next rank, he needs to do a service project. We came up with the idea of organizing letters to soldiers. His idea was approved but he's been having a hard time getting the instructor to give him the class time to get the project done.

We've decided to try and get the project done outside of class. If you are interested in writing a short letter of appreciation to be sent to a soldier, please give me a pm.

Thanks for reading this!
Jill

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Will Quilt for Chocolate,

Posts: 5000 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll do this! I write letters all the time to family and friends and would love to include a soldier or two.
You'll hear from me!

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Hi Jill - I'll PM you my DH is ex-military and would love to help out.

Kayla

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 761 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Our family will help out!

Posts: 5039 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I'm in - sent a PM

Posts: 6584 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the support on this. I'm sure the soldiers will really appreciate this.

Lisa - I'll send you a PM with the info. That would be great if the girls wrote something too!

posted Hide Post
Lisa, I like your idea of families doing it together. My DH was in the Navy... I asked him if he would write a note too and he's on-board. Young kids could even draw a pictures and write "Thank You" and I know those would be appreciated too!

Posts: 2302 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Apr 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
I sent you a PM.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2313 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Catwmn27
posted Hide Post
I sent you a pm. My daughter and I would be honored to write letters.

Posts: 185 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5818 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3629 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so thrilled with the response to this and thank you all! Smile

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Sending PM, glad to helpSmile

Posts: 726 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bettyb
posted Hide Post
WQFC, would love to help your son on his project. Sending you a pm.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Nov 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your support.

Just wanted to note that tomorrow I'll be gone all day. I'll return PM's in the late afternoon when I get home.

We are going on our first college visit with my son. Seems like yesterday that we took him to his first day of pre-school!

Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
Letter for Jeff's project is in the mail. Sounds like a fine young man.
amiko

Posts: 379 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM... hope you received it.

char

Posts: 709 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lakequilter - I did receive it, thank you. Sent a reply about 3 hours ago. Let me know if I need to resend it. I love the internet, but it's not perfect! Smile

Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
No - I just got it - thank you!

Posts: 709 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
I got my note...and am glad to do this. I'll practice my penmanship so they can read my letter! I should have gone to medical school!!

Posts: 4636 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I've had two people try and send emails to me and I never received them. They are not blocked and the emails didn't go to my junk folder either. Just lost in cyber space somewhere.

Its so easy to resend. I'm so grateful that people are willing to help, its easy to get the info out there!

posted Hide Post
Just wanted to bump this up and also let people know that we have received four letters this week! It's so nice that you have taken the time to write and send them.

Thanks to:

BonnieN
Royalboomer
Amiko
Stm1804
SheriV
Bettyb
Mandylifeboats
Fleur55
Lakequilter
HappyErm
Kaylaquilts
Shawkl
Jacky
Catwmn27
Sewnso
Needlecrazy
SDGranny
Rondiquilts
Malou
aliquilts
LisaTX

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Will Quilt for Chocolate,

posted Hide Post
Glad you got my letter. Apparently, I didn't read the directions very carefully - I typed my letter! It is just easier for me to compose a letter like that on the computer. Oh well. Hope it works. I was very grateful for this opportunity.
Susan

Posts: 725 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they will appreciate all the letters! My son has severe hand writing difficulties and he will by typing his as well!

I think it's all good! Smile

posted Hide Post
I received the PM, I will get a letter to you.

Rondi

Posts: 1552 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
Sure send me the info.

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3010 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
Mine is done and should go out Monday or Tuesday. I have to hand write it over. Thanks for doing this.

Char

Picture of bettyb
posted Hide Post
Will be mailing my two letters today to you. Glad to help your son on his ROTC project. Hope to get a response after they receive my letters.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Nov 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SheriV
posted Hide Post
PM wouldn't work-has happened before but yes, that is me that sent the letter-glad you got it.

Posts: 520 | Registered: Jun 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got it Sheri! Thanks so much for helping out!

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
My letters are all written and in an envelope. I should be able to get to the post office tomorrow.
Hugs,

Posts: 4636 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the post office. You should get it by friday. Smile

Erma

Smile Craft Happens! Smile

Posts: 3151 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got home. We received three letters from two people! I updated the list, but thanks again to Mandylifeboats and bettyb!

Erm - I'll look for the letter and let you know when I get it!

posted Hide Post
Sent a pm to you, will be a good family project.

Posts: 837 | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Jill - DH and I have completed 21 letters for your son and we will take them to the PO Saturday keep an eye out for them. We are happy we could help out your son and the soldiers as well.

Kayla Wave

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 761 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh! My! Gosh! That's awesome! I will update when I get letters in!

Thanks so much!

posted Hide Post
Just back from a trip to the mailbox. I received letters from three people. Fleur sent a packet of cards written from students! I had an entire Priority envelope full of them! Can't wait to show Jeff when he gets home from school!

We are off to our hunting lease for the weekend, so I will update when I get back!

Really appreciate the support you guys have given us on this! It will so great for all those soldiers!

Picture of Catwmn27
posted Hide Post
Sent my letters today.

I wish Jeff lots of luck with this project.

Nancy

Posts: 185 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi - just picked up the mail from the weekend. I received letters from Shawkl, Kaylaquilts and Jacky! Thank you all so much for your generosity! There's so many letters to send!

I will post a picture before I mail them out. So far we are putting them in a medium flat rate box. I'm hoping they will all fit. When I started this, I thought I'd probably send them in in an envelope. I never dreamed we would collect this many! It's awesome!

Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Mine will go out tomorrow or Wednesday.

Carol

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6632 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine went out today. Although the instructions say keep it simple and it only takes 5 minutes....this is one of the hardest things to do.
How can you possibly put into words how thankful you are for their sacrifice, for us?
I kind of feel like a slacker after reading the other posts. I have just sent in one letter. Guess I should have promoted it at work. I didn't even think of that. Sounds like your son is going to get plenty though. I am glad. This is a great program it sounds like.

Rondi

Posts: 1552 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
I'll be mailing tomorrow too. Working on getting several ready from some young helpers.

Sounds like it is going to be a great showing for your son's project.

Smile

posted Hide Post
Just want to put a note here about timing for mailing. We had asked for letters to be here by the 17 th. I didn't remember how close that date is to DH and I leaving for Mexico. So, I won't be mailing these to Operation Gratitude until we return from the trip.

Rondi...please don't feel like you didn't do enough! Every letter is important and greatly appreciated!

Thanks to everyone for their participation!

posted Hide Post
Rondi - I only sent one letter, too. I agree that it was harder than I thought! Sat down to write then thought, now what???!!! I felt so good, though, once I finished. Great project and I am so glad I participated.
Susan

Posts: 725 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a few more letters yesterday. I'll update the list with Catwmn27 and Sewnso (from Canada!). Thanks again to everyone!

posted Hide Post
I dropped an envelope to you this morning. It has 7 letters, my daughter, dgd, 4 dgs and myself. My daughter had helped the boys write the letters and I saw they put their home address on them, so I hope that's not a problem. If this is an ongoing project, do we send letters to you again or is there another address to use? Thanks for doing this.

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
I am so excited to send you the letters. I asked some teachers at the school about having the students write letters and they loved the idea. It is going to be more than 200 Big Grin.

posted Hide Post
Lisa - that is incredible. I keep saying how blown away I am, and then I get surprised again! Can't wait to tell Jeff about this one!

Thanks is not enough!

posted Hide Post
Lisa, that was a brilliant idea...I was excited to use the grandkids Smile

posted Hide Post
Hi - I am home from my trip. I have more letters waiting for me. They are all great!

I need to count them yet. Lisa sent me a an entire box! That's going to be a bunch to count!

DH's parents will leave tomorrow, so I hope to mail them Wednesday or Thursday. I'll update the list next too!