Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Question about FM quilting on long arm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about FM quilting on long arm Sign In/Join 
Picture of nlk
posted
I just took a look that the beautiful quilting on this blog

http://greenfairyquilts.blogspot.com/

and was wondering if FM quilting is easier on a long arm quilting machine as to a standard sewing machine. It seems to me it would be easier since you don't have to continually keep moving the quilt around & around. For those of you who have done both, what do you think?

Nicki

Posts: 7933 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done some of both ... I think it's easier to move the machine than to have to move the quilt... but I'm not very good at either one YET ... so hoping someone else will give you their thoughts Smile

2014 ... I wish you good health, love, peace and QUILTING!

Posts: 7980 | Location: digging my way out of that place I call my sewing room | Registered: Apr 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jayardi
posted Hide Post
● ● ● I've played with the big machines, and have done alright as long as the stitch regulator is OFF. Granted, I haven't had much practice, but I feel I have more control with the sit down versions.

Life without quilting is not an option! • • • • • MY Photos • • • • • • ENJOY!

Have you met my Circle of Friends? • • • • • • • PJ Party Tutorials

• • • Please! Support OUR Troops: Gratitude Campaign • • •

Posts: 9626 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
I read online that there's a learning curve from going from domestic machine to frame style. There really wasn't for me. Once I'd practiced on paper, so my brain was comfy with the design, the muscles movement to create the pattern was quite similar, just touching the frame handles rather than the fabric. I find the longarm to be much smoother and easier to handle because the weight of the quilt is completely supported by the frame. That makes the process go much faster, along with a faster stitching machien. The quicker results just make that thrill of FMQ even more fun.

Posts: 3533 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of terrimae
posted Hide Post
To me, moving the quilt under a standard machine is like moving the paper under a stationary pencil when drawing a picture. I much prefer the longarm, where I can move "the pencil".

I know some people are excellent quilters with their regular machines, jayardi being one of them, but I am NOT one of them.

Posts: 1823 | Location: East Coast | Registered: Dec 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twostep
posted Hide Post
Definitely the longarm.

Posts: 6773 | Location: Bubbleland | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, if I had somewhere to put a Tin Lizzie like Seeing Stars has, I'd have one!!!! I don't quilt much on my Horizon but that's just my procrastination and fear. After all, being able to quilt with it was my "justification" for spending the money. Smile

I've played with longarms at shows, and they are so cool.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6229 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried several different types at Quilt Shows only so no expert...but I did fall in love with George,a sit down.I wonder if it was because I was use to FMQ on my Janome 6500.I found this one far easier than the Gammils and the others where you move the machine head...but could get used to any of them.They are far easier in my opinion than moving the heavy quilt around with my Janome...

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 9916 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I don't have a long arm & will never have one but I was just curious about the difference.

Nicki

Posts: 7933 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love her quilting, but I, too, will never get to own a longarm. Another thing I noticed...her longarm must have a stitch regulator for FMQ. I own a Janome because even in our small town, we have a Janome dealer who also services the machines. I wish Janome would come up with an attachment the same as Bernina's stitch regulator. I think Baby Lock has one now. I spend a lot of time lugging my quilt under my machine, but also attempting to keep the stitches sort of balanced!
Susan

Posts: 706 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to say what terrimae said. I love the HQ for quilting.

Posts: 2934 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
I echo Terrimae and Holly. My HQ is my best friend (well, next to my DH).

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6532 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stm1804:
I love her quilting, but I, too, will never get to own a longarm. Another thing I noticed...her longarm must have a stitch regulator for FMQ. I own a Janome because even in our small town, we have a Janome dealer who also services the machines. I wish Janome would come up with an attachment the same as Bernina's stitch regulator. I think Baby Lock has one now. I spend a lot of time lugging my quilt under my machine, but also attempting to keep the stitches sort of balanced!
Susan

I found out last week I do have the BSR Smile I found it somewhere hidden in a closet. Now that I've used it I have to say it's wonderful and though wrestling with my quilt still is a problem I don't have to try to keep my stitches the same length anymore. I felt a bit like cheating but I just love the BSR.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had the opportunity to even try a machine with a stitch regulator, but I assume that because you don't have to worry about your stitch length, you could spend more effort on the actual quilting.
Susan

Posts: 706 | Location: West Central Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyus
posted Hide Post
I have a LA with a stitch regulator, and a Bernina 440 with the BSR foot. I am not well practiced with either, for FMQ. It is possible to "overrun" either, you still need to keep a steady pace with either one, to have good stitch results. The LA is definitely easier to manage than domestic sm, much easier on the hands and shoulders.

Posts: 2424 | Location: USA | Registered: Dec 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post