Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to Quilting Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi: I am new to quilting so to speak. My mother was a hand quilter and I had helped her on occasions. She has passed and I was given her quilt tops she was working on for the family to finish. I want to finish them but I am horrible at hand quilting and machine quilting is my style. I feel guilty machine quilting these quilt that I know she would have hand quilted.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Hi Glasshack,

What a treasure to have your mom's quilt tops! While hand quilting is beautiful and that is what your mom did, I'm sure she would just want you to finish them in your own way and put them to use. Whatever you decide to do she will be smiling Smile.

Posts: 630 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Welcome! I agree with Fleur...I think a finished quilt is so much better than a folded up top! My machine has a stitch that mimics hand quilting. Maybe something like that would be a nice compromise for you!

Again, welcome to the board!

Posts: 4784 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Welcome, glasshack! I agree with the other girls. Just quilt them as you can and know she'd be proud of you for doing so. We'll look forward to seeing PICTURES of them, okay? Again, welcome.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SheriV
posted Hide Post
I'm a hand quilter but I would love to have something of my mom's finished any way it could be. I bet they will love it and not know the difference.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Jun 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glasshack, a big Wisconsin welcome from Patty J and Sue. I am sure your Mom would want you to finish them any way you wish to use. Most of us do machine quilting and attempt hand quilting on small projects. Just enjoy completing your Mom's pieced quilts. We love pics of projects. Sue

Posts: 1483 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of needlecrazy
posted Hide Post
Here's a huge Howdy from Texas! Please finish those tops in your own best way and share them. The family will treasure them, and your mom will be smiling at you for taking such good care of her legacy.

"Laughter is timeless; imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." Walt Disney

Posts: 6522 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jun 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Howdy from Texas...Wave & welcome to the boards. I agree with everyone else. Finish them off the way you want & then sit back & enjoy that fact that the quilts have a little of you & a little of your mom in each one. Can we see pictures when they are done?

Nicki

Posts: 7910 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the boards. Ditto to the other posts.

Yes, we do love pix!

Enjoy your treasures.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6170 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
So glad you found us. Those quilt tops have special memories of your mom and you'll love using them once they're quilted. We love photos (hint) so take a few when you finish each of them. Also, if you need suggestions or inspiration, there are lots of creative quilters here. Just ask if/when you need help.

Posts: 3524 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NICUnurse
posted Hide Post
Hey Glasshack! A big welcome from Arkansas!

First-Welcome to the boards!

Second-please accept my condolences on your Moms passing. I know how difficult it is.

Third-oh such a treasure you have! Something your Mom loved and worked on and part of her heart is in it. It's so cool your going to finish them for family!! I agree with everyone else-although she hand quilted, you can finish any way you like!

Please show picture We all love eye candySmile

PamSmile

Posts: 5693 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Jan 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
Welcome, how nice for you to be able to finish the quilts that your mom wasn't able to get to. As for hand vs. machine quilting, do you really think your mom wanted you to wear the same kind of clothes that she did?? NOT! She wanted you to be yourself and do what fits you. Do the machine quilting and know that these quilts will be well loved and will hold up well with the work you have done.

Madelyn

Posts: 6036 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Welcome to the board! I have several vintage quilts with both stitching on them. At least one looks as if several generations worked on it. I love it...it's a delightful treasure. And since it has tears in it...I'll be maybe the 4th person to work on it. It's a really happy feeling. You'll feel so close to your mom when you're working on it. Go for it!!!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8404 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Another big Texas HOWDY! Wave

Do what you need to do to be able to use the quilts!

I have one of 1st DHs DGMs (1st Dear Husband's Dear GrandMother's) quilts. She appliqued the top with her treadle sewing machine then hand quilted it. There's no difference in machine quilting and hand stitched top.

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
Welcome from Pennsylvania!! I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom. I am sure she would be happy to have you work on her quilts anyway that you choose. It will be a treasure. Think of all of the good memories.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2297 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the boards from Mississippi. If you try to do something that you are not comfortable with such as hand quilting, you probably will never finish it.

Do what is right for you to finish it and I am sure your mom would not want you to stress yourself over it.

Hope to see more of you around here and hope to see plenty of pictures of whatever it is you work on. WE love eye candy!

Linda

This message has been edited. Last edited by: warm buns,

Posts: 3603 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mw8930
posted Hide Post
Welcome from TENNESSEE! I'm chiming in with all the other girls...finish them the way that works best for you and I am sure your mom will be looking down on you with much pride just seeing your efforts. Lots of pictures please...eye candy is always appreciated here.

Marj

Posts: 282 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lakequilter
posted Hide Post
Welcome - how nice for you to be able to work on your mom's quilts. She would be so pleased for them to be finished in any way best for you and then enjoyed!
Again, welcome.

Char

Posts: 704 | Location: upstate New York | Registered: Jun 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Joyce
posted Hide Post
That's the same way I got into quilting. Mom and I were finishing a quilt top when she passed. Dh and I moved soon after and the house was too small to set up the quilt frame. It was just 1X4s held together with c-clamps. I finally cut it down so it would fit in our living room and finished that quilt.

I had a dozen or so quilt tops laying around unfinished. We remodeled and I have a huge quilt room and a quilt frame with a mid-arm for machine quilting. I encouraged several of my nieces to take some of the tops to finish, taught them the basics and several have finished them. I still have one to finish. I know Mom would have handquilted them, but I also know that she would have been happy having them finished.

One of the quilts was wool, my niece tied it with big buttons and backed it with flannel. I
thought that way was just what it needed. I am sure Mom would have loved it.

I guess what I am trying to say is finished is something Mom would like and I think yours would too.

Posts: 917 | Location: Washington | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the board from Florida!

I agree with what everyone said.
Do what ever you feel comfortable doing. I rescue unfinished tops from many an estate sale or rummage sale and have machine sewn together hand pieced squares just to get the top finished. The one thing I learned with hand pieced blocks is tha you need to stay stitch before you trim anything or the block starts coming apart... Chris

Posts: 5854 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iluv2quilttoo
posted Hide Post
Welcome! Sorry about the loss of your Mom. I know that hurt. My Mom didnt quilt so how lucky you are to have ones that your Mom made! Finish them however you can, she will be happy they get done.

Posts: 49 | Location: small town USA | Registered: Aug 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Hi, and another Welcome to the board.

As you can tell we are all supportive of your ideas and think you will be happier doing it your way.

The neat thing about quilting, whether you draw your own design, buy a pattern or copy from someone else, it is always yours to do with as you please. Seldom, if ever, is there a right or wrong way to do something. The only thing that counts is if you are comfortable with what you are doing and if you like it.

You do what you think is best.

Come back and see us again, soon.

Posts: 5887 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AmyJo
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Welcome

This is a great board, everyone is so friendly, helpful and supportive ( quilting and other subjects that come along in life )

I agree with everyone's comments, how awesome to have her quilts finished and being loved. Your moms style was hand quilting, its ok that its not yours.

We love eye candy, please post pictures !

Posts: 295 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: Feb 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post