Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Trying to get my brain to work!!! Picture added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to get my brain to work!!! Picture added Sign In/Join 
Picture of goaskmom
posted
For those of you who FMQ maybe you can help me! Am working on a quilt that will be Queen size and in my head I want to put it together in maybe 4 sections. Want to FMQ each of the 4 sections separate or maybe a row or two at a time and then put them together into the large quilt. Do not want any sashing in between the blocks!!

Has anyone done anything like this and would the quilting show to much where there is none along the seams where each section is put together?

Have been doing the google thing and can't seem to find what I'm thinking about doing, or should I just give it up??? Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goaskmom,

Margie

Posts: 1288 | Location: oregon | Registered: Mar 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quilting wifey
posted Hide Post
I think it could be done, but haven't done that style.

First, what kind of quilting are you plannning, a meander style or a particular design? I could see working with two to three rows of blocks and meander from top to bottom edge but leave a couple of inches not quilted on the still to be connected side. I would leave the meandering edge very uneven in the design so there is room to come back and nestle in a few loops or curves of the meander after connecting more rows.

Then go on to the next section and repeat. After all the sections are quilted you could sew up the block edges and seam lap the backing and meander along the new seam with the stitches of curves or loops fitting in with the uneven edge stitching of the completed quilting. Then repeat as often as needed until all sections are attached.

Another option could be to quilt your first section, attach the second section and quilt it starting at the other end so the quilted is piled to the left of the machine and the new is in the throat of the machine. Then you could quilt your design or meander right over your connecting seam. Repeat as often as needed.

If you are doing something like a stencil or pantograph from top to bottom (or side to side direction) then just leave room for half of the stencil or panto on each edge of the sections where they will be seamed. After seaming them, fill in with the stencil or panto.

I hope this helps. I have quilted queen sized completed quilts with my home machine using the fluff and stuff method.

Madelyn

Posts: 6169 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goaskmom
posted Hide Post
Madelyn, your instructions on meandering were just what I was thinking, even down to leaving areas along the edges so I could go back and fill in. Thank you and now that someone else thinks like I do maybe it will work. Am not to the point of quilting yet but will let you know how it works!!

Margie

Posts: 1288 | Location: oregon | Registered: Mar 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I could help.

Madelyn

Posts: 6169 | Location: SE MN | Registered: Jan 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
There's several ways to do quilt as you go. Here's one method:
http://www.risingstarquilters....o-Join%20squares.pdf
Find others by searching "quilt as you go"

Posts: 7416 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goaskmom
posted Hide Post
quote:
EvelynB
Thank you for a very good tutorial but as I stated I didn't want to use a sashing. Am going to try Madelyn's which is the same as what I was trying to figure out how it might work. I found some sections of a quilt that I had started some time ago and think I will take two of them and try it. Then if it works I will make section 4 to go with section 3 and finish it!!! Don't hold me to it tho!!

Margie

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Sashing? Do you mean the strip on the backside? I've used that method and it's not noticeable when you use the same fabric as the backing. In fact I added borders to make a twin quilt wider AFTER I'd finished quilting it. The new mattresses are much thicker than the pattern used.

Posts: 7416 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goaskmom
posted Hide Post
Sorry Evelyn, I mean sashing on the front. I want the blocks sewed together with nothing between them. The strip on the back is just fine!

Margie

posted Hide Post
Margie, if you leave the backing fabric a bit extra long/wide you can press under a seam allowance, then sew your block edges together and put the backing in place. Use light glue or basting spray to hold it in place or safety pins (but you will need to stop stitching to remove them). Then do the quilting needed. You can go back and hand stitch the edges before or after doing the quilting. This would avoid having to add additional strips to cover up the seam.

Madelyn

Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
http://softexpressions.com/sof...ooks/MachQltSect.php this book is on doing it in sections.

CC

Posts: 4673 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goaskmom
posted Hide Post
Some time ago I had this same idea but did not follow thru. So a couple of days ago I dug out the sections I had done from their hiding place. After pinning one section I sat down and quilted it. Looked good, so got the section that goes next to it ready to quilt on today. Then maybe the BIG question will be answered. Will it work!! In my head I think it will but we will see. Thank You all for helping and making me think I can do it!!

Sorry bout the size. Have not posted a picture before on the new computer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goaskmom,

Margie