Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Freedom of getting old (older)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freedom of getting old (older) Sign In/Join 
Picture of ljptexas
posted
"Good friends are like quilts-they age with you, yet never lose their warmth."

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world, too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it, if I choose to read or play on the computer, until 4 AM or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those
wonderful tunes of the 50s, 60s & 70s and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk the beach, in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body and will dive into the waves, with abandon, if I choose to,
despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And, eventually, I remember the important things.

Sure, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break, when you lose a loved one or when a child suffers or even
when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength, understanding and compassion. A heart
never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep
grooves on my face. So many have never laughed and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even
earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever but
while I am still here I will not waste time lamenting what could have been or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every
single day (if I feel like it)!

Posts: 107 | Location: NE of Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
What a fabulous outlook!

Posts: 6472 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DJBrown
posted Hide Post
Thank you ljptexas!! Words to LIVE by Big Grin

Posts: 978 | Registered: Mar 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
What a way to start my day-reading this post!

Posts: 4365 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I couldn't agree more. You only have one life if you don't enjoy it look how much time you have wasted. Let's celebrate freedom every day.

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 696 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Me and You BOTH! You have outlined most of my philosopy on life!
Hugs!

Posts: 4609 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary J
posted Hide Post
After reading that, I'm just sitting here smiling!!! Thank You!!! Smile

Posts: 5173 | Location: Cornfields of Indiana | Registered: Sep 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
Perfect!!! Wink

Posts: 2254 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto to everything that you wrote.

Wanda

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marion2
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 5549 | Location: OK | Registered: Jun 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
How I agree! Tomorrow I have a dozen old friends coming over for lunch and games. We get together once or twice a month and our afternoons are filled with laughter and joy. I've known some of them 40 years. We taught together 25-40 years and have seen each other through joys and sorrows. We all love being our age and this could have been written for us. TFS

Posts: 7011 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pegsami
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful outlook on the aging process !! I'll remember it when I turn 80something next month!!

Variety & Contrast means BUY EVERYTHING

Posts: 1015 | Location: oregon | Registered: Jun 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of darn75
posted Hide Post
This is wonderful! I totally agree!

Posts: 449 | Registered: Oct 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
Thank you!! Very true words. I find I don't stress out much anymore - wastes too much time and energy and doesn't change anything...coming from a definitely Type A personality this has been a huge change.

Posts: 6445 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quiltedmagnolia
posted Hide Post
Love it!!

Posts: 429 | Location: Paradise | Registered: Apr 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Neat, Neat, Neat! Chris

Posts: 5863 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kay53
posted Hide Post
you go girlfriend!!!!! thanks for sharing.

Posts: 28 | Location: mo | Registered: Sep 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Lovely!

"Inside every Girl Gone Wild is a quilt loving grandma waiting to come out" - Gabriel Rutledge

Posts: 519 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
I love this.

I quoted some parts of it to my ever concerned DS #2 and he told me, 'Get real, Mom'. lolllll

Posts: 5892 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of britgal
posted Hide Post
I love that, do you mind if I share it with a friend.

my etsy shops
cutiegirlie.etsy.com
teapartybybritgal.etsy.com
britgaldesigns.etsy.com

Posts: 2135 | Registered: Jan 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of emb115724
posted Hide Post
After the day I put yesterday, your words are true and thoughtful what a great help they are.
♥♥

" Prayer is for the soul what nourishments is for the body."

Posts: 865 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post