Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  where would I find this quilt book?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

where would I find this quilt book? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nancyc20
posted
My quilting bud Linda came to visit and brought a book with her that I would love to find. Amazon had it listed , but for an absurd price of $50 -$990 from sellers. Ummmmm, I don't think so...

the author is from England... "Utility Quilting" by Carolyn Forster. Here's a glimpse on a video. i wish I had looked at Linda's book a lot better! i really need to get some of my tops quilted! This is the year to finish these babies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwK5JYxt5h0

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 8612 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it was Billie Lauder that did Big Stitch. She had a book on it. Check out her website and see. Also, there are other books that cover Big Stitch Quilting. I am thinking of doing this technique on some of my quilts. It is a little quicker, although, you do have to make sure your stitches are all the same size.

Quiltmaker

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Mar 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Try here:

http://www.justhands-on.tv/sho...cts?shop[detail]=503

At todays currency conversion rate, it's around $27 for the book and $10 for the international shipping.

Posts: 4633 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kay-lin
posted Hide Post
http://patsloan.biz/patsloansf...echniquesbook-2.aspx

Pat Sloan's Favorite Techniques book has a chapter on utility stitching. There are used copies available through Amazon. The book has other good ideas also.

Posts: 4428 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I took a class on big stitch and she used Lauder's book:
http://softexpressions.com/sof...ks/QuiltBigStich.php

Posts: 7263 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stillsuzzz
posted Hide Post
Why not just borrow the friend's book?

Posts: 407 | Location: Shapleigh, Maine | Registered: Jul 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I checked my favorite used book site & couldn't find that title any cheaper at any of the many stores that list there. In fact, quite a few wanted over $1000! Eek

I was thinking what Stillsuzzz was...or what if a few interesting pages of your friend's book "accidentally" fell onto the scanner/copier......??? My LQS has encouraged us to do this anyway to books we use all the time, so we aren't causing excessive wear & tear, and so we can put the most important pages in a reference notebook.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Posts: 5735 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TerryOH
posted Hide Post
Checker distributers has it listed for 27.95

TerryOH

Posts: 2409 | Location: OH | Registered: Nov 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
My friend lives in Virgina and is just here for a visit, so can't borrow her book. She's also intently using it! I'll try some of these other places. Back to you later.

I'm on a borrowed computer...not hooked up to my printer.

Good suggestions...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

Posts: 8612 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I looked for your book and didn't find one reasonably priced - I did, however, find an embroidery book for DGD and another quilt book for myself on Amazon.....

Posts: 6548 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Ok, I just ordered it from the UK. Should be an adventure!!!!! Gulp.

Thanks everybody!!! Smile

The projects in the book are just up my alley! I think I can get some done now! Whoohoo!

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Just curious. How much was the shipping from the UK?

Posts: 15303 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Around $10.