Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  strip piecing problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

strip piecing problem Sign In/Join 
Picture of mandylifeboats
posted
i am strip piecing a quilt. the strips are varying lengths and i am piecing them lengthwise. as i am sewing them together, the strips are causing the quilt to curve to the right. it's a mess. i started with a pattern, but now i am making it up as i go along and i am ready to take my rotary cutter and slice it all up. what happened? Frown

Posts: 5054 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pfft, what a mess.

Posts: 5054 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another thing about this quilt. i hate the fabric. i went on a girl's weekend with non-quilters. i saw a quilt shop and ducked in. the girls came into the store and quickly walked out. i could have spent an hour in the store. one of the girls came back in and said, we're ready to go. i was like, give me one minute. i grabbed a fat quarter pack, paid for it, and ran out. when i really looked at it, i said, why did i pick this one?

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Oh my! Sorry about your problem with this. I don't think I have ever done one of this type but remember a tip I have heard. Start sewing those long seams from alternate ends - first seam from top, second from bottom, third from top, etc.

Posts: 6630 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
Frown I have read what Mary Lou has said - to alternate the sewing from top to bottom. And not loving the fabric does not help either...... Hmmmmm - what to do????? Slicing it up is an option; see if you can create something that speaks to you - but other than that, I have no ideas........

I personally have not had this problem before but I also do not sew strips like this very often. Breathe and take a Coffee break, then look at it again with 'fresh' eyes. Now what do you see??? And fight the good fight and make this into a backing!!!!! Wink Baby quilt? Background for applique?

What ever you do, you will figure it out - even if it means gifting it to a friend!!! Smile

Posts: 2406 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Try slicing the whole bottom off at the start of the bend, turn it around and sew the bottom to the top...it might curve enough in the other direction to straighten it out.

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9024 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have sewn straight and then pressed crooked. Could that be your problem?

Always heard to alternate sewing directions.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6365 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Is it my imagination, or the angle of the picture...the 2 skinny aqua strips in the center (with the small purple pieces below them) look like they may have been cut a little curved? Or sewn curved, if the seam allowance was off? You know how you can sometimes get the V cut in a strip...it happens. Frown

It kinda looks like things start to go south when pieces are attached to those 2 skinny strips...could they be the guilty parties? Confused

Posts: 6109 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
The more I look at it the more I think the block on the left, second row from bottom might have been off about a 1/4 of an inch on one side...check the dimensions of that block. it would look straight, but sew crooked.

You could sew a giant dart in it from the left to where it straightens out maybe...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nancyc20,

Posts: 9024 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Puckers can be a clue, too. Look for where pieces are puckering or waving at the seams, and not just from laying the whole top out without smoothing it completely.

Crooked cuts, or crooked seams?

Posts: 6109 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i took all the rows out and cut every strip 3 inches wide. now what? i will try sewing every other row of strips; top to bottom, bottom to top. Big Grin by the time i am finished, it will be a mini-quilt Big Grin

Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
I've been told that when you sew strips together, you need to alternate the direction in which you sew them. It's what Mary Lou said. I have no idea why, but if you sew strips and start them all in the same spot and sew the same direction, that's exactly what will happen to you.

I wouldn't cut it. I'd try to take the strips apart and try sewing them together with the alternate seam direction.

Posts: 5036 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Are all the blocks in each strip straight (sewn horizontally)?

posted Hide Post
mandylifeboats:

One evening while watching t.v., just pick out the stitches. Then alternate sewing down, then turn your piece and stitch the next row.

Quiltmaker

Posts: 1179 | Registered: Mar 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sooo, this was the original quilt plan... (pic below) from this site: http://sewlux.blogspot.com/201...-quilt-tutorial.html then i decided i would do my own spin and slice 4 in half lengthwise. then i sewed em together and came out with the curvy swervy look. so then...i took all the strips apart lengthwise and sliced all the strips in half lengthwise so now i have 17 strips. i will now sew them back together, alternating sewing up, sewing down. sigh

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mandylifeboats,

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Someone in your life will look at that top and swoon over the fabrics. You'll be so happy to give it to them and they'll be thrilled to have it. So enjoy the process. My DD has very different tastes than I do but she's very, very happy to get a quilt that she loves.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks evelyn. if it comes out well, i will donate it for a raffle.

posted Hide Post
I have to believe some or one of those strips had the dreaded VEE in it to make it curve at the end and in the middle like that. So darn frustrating when you just want to sew.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10172 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
If there's a VEE in one or more of the blocks, the dimensions of the block will be off. Several blocks to me look longer on one side than the other.

But this may be one of those quilts you love in the end, no matter what! You can Doooooo it!!! Big Grin

Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
I've had this happen to me twice. It comes from uneven sewing...fast then slow, start then stop. When sewing thin strips you have to pin close and try to sew at the same speed. If you zip them in too quickly without lots of pinning you will get puckers and I see you have some. You'll have to rip them all out and pin, pin, pin.

Posts: 4780 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the strips didn't have a Vee at all. it was just fast sewing on my part and i really got careless. i have the strips laid out to sew back together the right way but i would rather roll the whole thing up in a ball and throw it away. live and learn. haste makes waste. bad mandy. wompwomp

posted Hide Post
this pic is of a mugrug that i recently made. i took my time and it shows. i do my best work when i do small pieces. i think it came out adorable.

Picture of cksvett
posted Hide Post
Your mug run is just too cute.

Just look at the quilt as it is for a donation, and then the fabrics won't put such a damper on your project. Instead you will concentrate on the joy of making something that will bring joy to others... Chris

Posts: 6287 | Location: Tampa Bay | Registered: Jan 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
Darling mugrug!!! And I think the quilt is cute too. You can dooooooooo it! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
You can just cut off the seams with a rotary cutter. The strips will be narrower, but only you will know.

Quiltmaker

Posts: 1179 | Registered: Mar 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
Adorable mug rug! I do like the fabric you bought because I bought it too. Can't figure out what to do with it though. I also bought an extra yard on super clearance because I thought it was just dots but there are birds on the bottom.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post