Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Puzzled by this organizer(?)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Puzzled by this organizer(?) Sign In/Join 
Picture of jeepdarla
posted
I received this in a quilt group gift exchange.

It pretty obviously is an organizer but I can't figure out how to use it.

If it is to hang on the wall - then why the tie straps? I felt goofy for trying this but I did hang it around my neck and also tied it around my waist like an apron. Not convenient there or there.

The size is 16" x 9" but the back pocket is only 4" deep so why the extra length above there?

I tried rulers in the pockets but they just flop forward.

It is so cute but so far mostly useless. Has anyone seen this sort of thing in use?

Posts: 3131 | Location: kentucky | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KBlue
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, that is a mystery. I once gave a cute organizer designed to hang from the car window for those long road trips. I noticed that gal I gave it to looked a little confused as to what it was for so I went up and explained it to you. Maybe you could ask the person who gave it to you. Tell them it's really cute and you love it, but are wondering if it was designed to tie onto something specific.

Posts: 790 | Location: Oregon | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sew Happy
posted Hide Post
And then let us know when you find out!

Keep calm and carry on

Life is good!!!
Patty (KD0ICU)
In God We Trust

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/PattyannC/

Posts: 1776 | Location: In the northwoods of Minnesota | Registered: Aug 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at huge amounts of patterns this past several days. I even saw patterns for that but it did not interest me. I don't know what it is for. Does it hold a cell phone? It sure is pretty.

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Will Quilt for Chocolate
posted Hide Post
Could it hold a passport and travel info? I've seen a few like that...you wear it around your neck maybe?

Posts: 5045 | Registered: May 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
Maybe its for the car? Would it fit on the back of the car seat?

Posts: 2909 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
It does look like a passport/airline ticket holder. I have made them before. Google it and see if that is what it is.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2320 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Looks like a guild nametag and/or phone carrier. Made two similar pockets for my guilds.

Posts: 7563 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
Like this?

LOL - sorry - I should have had a ruler in the pic for perspective!

Posts: 3131 | Location: kentucky | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seeing it that way gives it a different perspective. I think it's too big for a passport holder!

I'm stumped!!!

Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
Is it for bedside/couch side remote holder and magazine holder?

Posts: 2529 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you need to ask the maker "what do it do?"
It is strange looking.Does not even look like it will fit under the sewing machine for needed items. Weird,I agree.

May
"In Michigan"

Posts: 10185 | Location: Michigan,up North,the west side of Perfect | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
I'm clueless too, but am sure this is one of those things that will just have us smacking our heads and saying, now why didn't I think of that...lol

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7123 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Until I saw the passport in it, I didn't realize it was that big. Could it be for a pattern and fabric? Just guessing here. I will be watching for you reveal!

Carolyn

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2320 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shey..
posted Hide Post
hmmm... interesting...

looking at it i would say it could be an organizer for the car.. tied around the front headrest for the backseat...

or.. maybe you are supposed to put stuff in the pockets .. then roll it up and use the ties to tie the roll together and keep it with your sewing stuff??..

let us know what you figure out...

curious!!

shey..

my blog.. http://sheysstitchinmagic.blogspot.com/

"come hell .. come high water... you push on me.. i'm gonna push back harder... i got a whole lot more than a little bit left...

Posts: 3496 | Location: FL | Registered: Jun 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
It's an adult bib,you can catch all the food in the folds and eat it later????

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8988 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
To hang on a walker to hold essentials?

Too funny Jacky!

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7548 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Owie... do you remember which site you saw it on... If so, please post a link so we can go over and look at it.. There should be some info with the pattern.

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25891 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
Do NOT use it as a passport holder! You do not want your passport hanging out there for "the taking". Passports are hidden away.

Perhaps you can "regift" this to someone else...he.he!

Happy Stitching...Lois

Posts: 2256 | Location: Chanhassen, MN | Registered: Aug 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
I agree with Irish62 I think it is for the bedside to put in magazines, remote etc. the ties would let you tie it to the bed, dresser, or ????

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3082 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
If it were smaller and a passport holder, you would drop it inside your blouse. I made passport holders for BFFs and me for our first cruise. Great idea, but they are not much larger than the passport book. That, a few dollars and a credit card are what I put in mine, then drop it inside my clothing. Better secured than in a purse or even a fanny bag...the crooks cut those things off and a knife that close to you endangers you.

But yes, it is too big for that! I can see it hung on the back of the car seat for the back seat passenger.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The passport holders that I made did fit down in your shirt. I like it especially at the airport, on a cruise when you have to get out your ID so often. But, this is definitely not that, so inquiring minds want to know???

Carolyn

Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
My first thought was something to hold CD's in the car, if that smallest left-hand pocket is big enough for one to fit. The triangular pockets are staggered, as if you can then see whatever it is that you've put in there, even when the pockets are full.

But the small pockets at the bottom stump me...they wouldn't be needed for anything to do with a CD. And the top seems taller than needed for CD's, unless that length is needed after you hang it somewhere.

A New Year's mystery! Cool

Oooh -- CD holder, iPhone holder, earbud holder, all for the back seat passenger? Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: StarrySky,

Posts: 6125 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Do you have small children? Maybe it is for coloring books and crayons.. like shey said~ to hang over the headrest into the back seat...?

Posts: 10684 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
I like the colors; I suggest asking the person who made it.

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3674 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pegsami
posted Hide Post
My first thought was that it tied around the "head" of your machine to hang down with the "stuff" you are using while you sew???

Variety & Contrast means BUY EVERYTHING

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: Jun 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auntie Reba
posted Hide Post
I found this "mail, letter, bill holder" tutorial for something similar... http://whynotsew.blogspot.com/...e-letter-holder.html

You have to scroll down to see the finished one hanging by the strap.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Auntie Reba,

Posts: 9627 | Location: Always Moving A Bit | Registered: Jan 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
I could see coupons sorted in the mystery organizer, too. But still, the long ties and the overall length...??

Posts: 6125 | Location: About 28,000 Light Years From Galactic Center | Registered: Jul 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
Wow, some very creative guesses!

I tried loading it with a few of the suggested items...

CD, cellphone, remote, ruler, pattern, etc.
Not really working well for anything except the pattern.

Not wide enough for magazines or coloring books.

Curls around at the top with the tie cords hanging from one point.

May work as a car seat organizer but since pockets are flat not really suited for many items.

I would feel pretty awkward asking the giver what it is for. I will see if I can work the conversation around in such a way that she will mention it. She truly did a nice job in making it..nice fabrics..decorative stitching.

I have searched to the ends of the internet and can't find a pattern or tutorial that looks like this (saw a lot of other neat stuff though!) I am probably just not using the riht search words.

Sure appreciate all the suggestions though!!

posted Hide Post
You could ask where she found the pattern, or for a copy of it/link to it? That might give a clue to it's purpose. At first glance I thought it was for setting under a machine- a sort of apron for holding scissors, etc. I think your use as a ruler and pattern holder may be the original intent.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Jan 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It probably is made to hold a small cutting mat, a rotary cutter, and whatever else is needed for paper piecing to take to class.

Quiltmaker

Posts: 1179 | Registered: Mar 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep checking this thread to see if we've figured it out yet!!! I haven't been this entertained in a long time!!!

Picture of gardenpat
posted Hide Post
Fascinating!! Do let us know when you figure it out!! I agree about the nice colors/fabrics!

pat

Posts: 5149 | Location: central ohio | Registered: Apr 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
I remember a month or so ago that someone had found an unusual piece in her Grandmothers sewing basket, did we ever find out what the original purpose was?? It was a small metal piece.
Like everyone else here, I'm curious too what this could be used for. Me, I'd just ask the maker at the next quilt meeting. She might get a good laugh at all the purposes we came up with.

Posts: 8221 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StarrySky
posted Hide Post
Could you ask the maker "Where did you get the pattern for the hanging organizer?" and see if that gives a clue? Confused

That may be a little more subtle than coming right out & saying "What on Earth is it? Congratulations -- you've managed to stump an entire bulletin board full of quilters!" Big Grin

Picture of native Texan
posted Hide Post
boy, that's a hard one. I wondered if the ties were only for when you roll it up to secure it. not sure.

CC

Posts: 4702 | Location: 1,000 miles from home | Registered: Apr 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patty - I'm thinking that Holee came up with the answer to the other one. Was it an antique funnel of some kind? If memory serves, it wasn't really related to sewing!

Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
Maybe the universal reply of "you can use this for anything you wish" fits this organizer.

Happy Stitching...Lois

Posts: 2256 | Location: Chanhassen, MN | Registered: Aug 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen this before, fairly recently...all free sewing or one of those type sites. I just don't remember what it was....driving me crazy!

Posts: 530 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toryam
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a doorknob organizer, for stuff u want to take to the car with you, like keys & wallet & bills or coupons

Posts: 4171 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: Aug 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rho*
posted Hide Post
As you searched the internet did you look for an 'organizer'? or

a 'CADDY'?

I've been searching a bit for you and saw a similar caddy. Sometimes a word or even spelling gives different results. Whatever it is--the colours are yummy.

Posts: 550 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: Feb 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kay53
posted Hide Post
bumped up. still wondering what it is other than cute.

Posts: 30 | Location: mo | Registered: Sep 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it might be a car seat organizer that you tie around the headrest.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Jan 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeepdarla
posted Hide Post
I still haven't figured out what to do with it.

Since the pockets are flat it really can not hold much of anything. If it's for rulers - it can only hold ones 8" wide or smaller...and why the ties?

Our meeting is the 4th Thursday this month. When I see the gifter, I am going to ask where she found the pattern...maybe then I will be able to see what it is.

I will let you know! It has been fun hearing everyone's ideas and guesses!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jeepdarla,

Picture of pegsami
posted Hide Post
OOPS---
thought I had "IT"--On page #41 of the Keepsake Quilting for Spring is a pix of a bag that looks very much like the one in question----BUT it is only 4 and 1/2" by 6" so it is too small, but it holds keys, credit cards, money and phone. Maybe just a smaller version????

Variety & Contrast means BUY EVERYTHING

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: Jun 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grams5
posted Hide Post
The pattern was in the Sew It magz, it cost 3.99, you put rulers in it to take to classes and it haungs on your chair. They aslo have a Quilt It magz. Hancocks sales them or they can be found at book stores,all of thier magz. are 3.99 they make a few other ones for other crafts.

And this too shall pass

Posts: 246 | Location: West Texas | Registered: Dec 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, now that I know what it is for it is a really neat idea.

Wanda

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Downsouth
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Grams5, for solving the mystery...although I can't see it holding the rulers I use the most?

The three holders in the front are for miniature Snicker bars. Reeses peanut butter cups and Hershey kisses! Smile

Devonne

Posts: 15000 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Maybe it would hold the add a quarter ruler? Glad you found the pattern Grams5, you make a good detective.

Posts: 8221 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TerryOH
posted Hide Post
Which issue was it in? I sometimes buy magazines and I would like to see it I bought that issue. Do you know what pictures are on the cover?

TerryOH

Posts: 2430 | Location: OH | Registered: Nov 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post