Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Merry Merry Snowmen Sew Along - - BLOCK #2 - WINNER POSTED!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merry Merry Snowmen Sew Along - - BLOCK #2 - WINNER POSTED! Sign In/Join 
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
She's telling him with her eyes they went the wrong way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J Lu,

J Lu

Posts: 935 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
here's my sleigh close up

J Lu

Posts: 935 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ivy_cottage81
posted Hide Post
ooooh, I LOVE those sleigh rails, J Lu!!!
Was planning to change that part on mine as well. And that cute little blue bird... mine will be blue, too. LOL

Hey, Bunsie... what ever works for you is right. Well Done!
(p.s.... my sew group told me Monday night that my cake stand in block one was in the "wrong" place.... well duh! Guess I'm like Kathy and don't read the instructions... OR look at the pictures! :-) AND you are going to QAYG? Hmmmm, hadn't thought of that.

OH, just read Kentucky_Sunshine will QAYG, too.

Meme quilts... lovin' those blues! And the red nose!

Great blocks, ladies!

ivy (Karen)

Posts: 717 | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
1. Mo.star
2. califshrimp
3. warmbuns Smile
4. Kentucky Sunshine
5. elainetoo Smile
6. yhtac
7. Mountain laurel
8. SCLady
9. ddquilts Smile
10. MyJack
11. wenonah
12. quiltaholic
13. headielamar
14. J Lu Smile
15. paus4quilts
16. Brandyquilter Smile
17. crazy'boutquilts
18. shequilts Smile
19. Meme Quilts Smile
20. mi. debbie
21. amiko Smile
22. gremgramma
23. ivy_cottage81
24. mw8930
25. Gracie/Ohio
26. Shawkl Smile
27. zeydrago
28. Elizabeth Ahsanullah
29. sprmom

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25678 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holee
posted Hide Post
J Lu...love the attitude of your snow lady...I think I've seen that look before!

Posts: 4661 | Registered: Sep 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mw8930
posted Hide Post
Yeah - she looks like she's mad she's not in that sleigh. And the snowman in the sleigh looks so innocent!

Everyone's block look fantasic - I'm getting off here so I can go work on mine.

Marj

Posts: 283 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Men never listen when a woman tries to give them directions. lol

Posts: 25678 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
I know right! That's the first thing I thought of when I saw that block and her nose up in the air. I'm loving this Q, thanks for putting it together.

J Lu

Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
J Lu.. beautiful rails. And I agree - that snow lady is certainly showing an attitude -- cute

Posts: 7994 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
J Lu, I love what you did with the eyes of the snowmen and the rails on the sleigh. I just love the personal touches that have been added to these blocks. Seven more blocks to go and I'm sure there will be more of those touches added.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2826 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Otay.... a couple ladies beat me to my ideas, a blue bird of happiness, runners on the sled and a long bow on the present. I still have a couple other ideas so let's see if I can get mine done before someone beats me to those.

Really nice blocks so far.

Posts: 5928 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
For you gals who bought the MMSnowmen kits, are you finding that you have a lot of material left over after completing the block? I am thinking I could almost make two blocks from each BOM package they sent me with very little from my stash. I am not complaining, just so surprised. Usually you are "crossing your fingers" when you join a BOM project to have enough material to finish your project.
amiko

Posts: 369 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
Happy to hear that about the kits...where did you purchase yours from?A couple of friends here have ordered the kits & pattern online and are waiting to receive them...that was one of their biggest concerns...running low on fabric and not being able to get more.

I decided to dress my snow people on this block and sheesh...what a lot more work...and my sleigh is giving me fits...the fabric I chose to use is barely visible for me to trace the pattern I want to embroider...Caleb loves it and helped pick out clothes and hats for the snow people, he has no idea this will be for him, and is so sweet..he'll sit and chatter away sometimes while I'm stitching and say little things like "mommy, I like your sewing,it is beautiful" or "momma that looks like a lot of hard work" I have cursed myself more than once for doing this by hand, but I know it will hold up for many years and many washings...hopefully one day he will have a child of his own to snuggle under it too. that being said my red and white one will be machine stitched Razz Big Grin

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7023 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Kentucky I just love your stories. I love the idea of putting clothes on them. If you don't mind I might have to steal that idea down the road.

Glad to hear others got so much fabric. I just finished a quilt I'd been working on for maybe 4 years. I had given a few blocks to some of the ladies on the board to help me finish this thing and wouldn't you know it, they didn't give you an inch of extra. One ladies made a boo boo and was in a panic over it thinking I'd be upset. She even called the retailer that sold me the kit. Do you believe they said they didn't even have enough to fill their orders. That was and will be my last kit ( BOM ) I post pictures when I get it back from the quilter.

J Lu

Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
I bought the patterns from Quiltaholic and the kits from the Fat Quarter shop, which gave us a discount (I think it was 20% not sure). You cannot believe how generous they are with each and every package. I called them to let them know how happy I was with them and they now have a new customer. By the way, I got my bill in a thank you for your patronage card!
amiko

Posts: 369 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
My hats off to you applique quilters. I said I was gonna do this because it was something different for me and it is!!!

People with short, stubby fingers and clunky irons should not do freezer paper applique. I guess it's because of us, G*d allowed fusibles and crafting irons to be invented. Otherwise, we'd never get to make an applique quilt.

Do have a couple serious question, though. When folding over the fabric onto the freezer paper, do you snip the fabric going around curves and such? And how do you do points or pointed corners? For that I used the same method as for mitered corners...fold the corner at a angle and then fold the sides in. I find some of the points are so tiny that the folded sections hang over the edge, do you trim those? Thanks for your help.

This block may take me a bit longer than the first.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Someone with more experience than I should answer those questions Pauline but the way I do it is to fold as I go when ironing around my templates.. I don't snip so there is no chance of a raw edge playing peekaboo.

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Q.

I forgot another question. Can you use regular liquid starch instead of the spray starch? Seems the regular starch would be a better idea but all the instructions I read said to use the spray type. Dries faster?????

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I don't starch mine.. I just use steam..

Spray starch is actually a food type product and runs the risk of drawing bugs to your fabrics in later years.

posted Hide Post
Paus, I haven't used the spray starch either, I have been combining 3 methods, the bigger pieces I trace onto a lightweight soft fuse that only has fusible on one side...then place it fusible side to right side of fabric,stitch on the line and then slit a smallhole in the fusible,turn and press...needleturn for fiddly bits, and now I have added a glue stick and the freezer paper cause my mini iron got left beind in the states Frown and I'm always burning my fingers with my big iron...

for those lilbits that don't play nicely and overhang they get swooped under or snipped

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7023 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
This is my first attempt at non-fusible applique. I just did one piece and ironed over the 1/4", no starch. Then I removed the freezer paper and used a water soluble glue to hold the 1/4" under. I thought maybe I could get away without that but the piece wasn't cooperating and I'd wind up with a lot of pins. Which is not a real problem, just a nuisance.

I have used, and like using, the lightweight interfacing method. I will probably use that for the snowmen so that you can't see through their fabric. I also like putting some light weight batting or some flannel in between to give it a little dimension.

I thought I'd try this freezer paper method because I've never done it before. I've got 11 blocks to play with and maybe by the end I'll know if I ever want to do this much of an applique project again. lollll

Thanx Q and KS.

posted Hide Post
Well I'm thriled to be hanging out with such talented ladies ! Your ideas are awesome, although I will be having a blue bird also, most I never would have thought of. Great work. Running alittle behind on this one but will have it ready on time.
Debbie

Posts: 216 | Registered: Oct 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
I think they say "spray" starch because that is what most folks buy these days...instead of purchasing the dry starch and mixing it. Of course, now there is even fancy liquid starch in the larger towns (not my small place however).

Even with the spray starch...you spray it into the lid and they use a tiny paint brush to apply to the fabric edges.

So, yes...the liquid would work just as well.

Another hint...I like to double or triple my layer of freezer paper. Just trace all of your parts, but before cutting them out...iron your traced sheet on top of a plain sheet...then another if you want it thicker. Cut out the pieces. Press them to the back of your selected fabrics...and cut out with a 1/8 to 1/4 inch seam allowance for turning.

Turn the fabric over the edge of the freezer paper shape...paint this seam selvage with the starch...and press. Press good...and remove the freezer paper by releasing the starched fabric from it. I use the end handle of a slender paint brush or a cuticle tool for this myself.

Then applique the piece in place.

Thearica, the starch is not a problem long term if you wash the object when completed. It is an issue for items that won't ever see water. But, as soon as the quilt is completed and washed..the starch is no more.

Now, if I get this top done...and then never get around to finishing the quilt...I'll have free lunch for all the bugs in a few years I guess! And, it it takes that long...they are welcome to it!

Posts: 4612 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I guess I didnt think about washing the quilt. lol

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Ha, I had a little laugh about that!

The issue with starch comes up most often I think with old damaged crochet work. Heavy starch and also sugar water was used to stiffen these. And, they did not get as many washings...(probably because it was such a pain to re-block these starched/sugared items every time). So, great grandma stored them in the closet...then they got handed down...and down...and the bugs had plenty of time to feast on them while they were packed away.

That got the conversation going on all the sites about "use of starch".

Posts: 4612 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
I tried this freezer paper method on my Fishy block and I don't know. I think I have to practice some more. The edges look a little rough. And while the zigzag stitching covered a lot of it, there was some stretching or bulging and I wound up with a couple of puckers. I'll play with it some more before tackling my block for here.

I did use the double layer of paper for the pattern.

Shawkl, thanks for the comment about the starch and washing. That was my thought. Once the piece is sewn in place, and the quilt gets washed the starch is gone sooooo it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

And, oh, the reminder about the crocheted pieces. My Mom was a great crocheter and she loved the pieces with the ruffles. Manys the sore fingers from starching and stretching those doilies.

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Pause, it always takes a little practice in appliqué. Using a larger piece of fabric to start always helps cut away a little at a time while your turning and clipping. When you do your curves flip around just barely to you drawn line or freezer paper. I've never heard anything about not using spray starch so I can't judge. I spray everything.

For your points you can clip off the tips on the ends leaving about a 1/4 inch to turn under but, don't turn it right on top the freezer paper. Give yourself about a hair pin away. Fold the top down first then bring in your sides on top which should go on a slant leaving you a pointy point.

I guess you'll have to just practice. Good Luck! Remember there are no rights or wrongs in quilting. Only our perceptions of what works. Have fun.

J Lu

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Thanx, J Lu. I think I'll keep trying this with the larger pieces on this quilt and stick with the fusible for the smaller ones. Maybe somewhere near the end there'll be a block with several pieces done this way. I sure wouldn't want to try this with the reindeer in this block.

And thanks for the tip about trimming the corner, I did not think to do that but I did trim off the overhang.

Picture of ELY/SYSSY
posted Hide Post
HI LADIES
I DID STAR THIS ONE LATE BUT I AM WORKING ON BLOCK # 1 ALL MY APPLIQUE ARE NETTLE TURN I DON'T LIKE THE FUSIBLE ONE. HAVE WORK ON POST OF THE BLOCK CUT ALL THE PATTER AND HAVE THE FABRIC CUT AND ONLY 3 BLOCKS TO SEWN TOGERTER THE REST ARE JUST WAITING TO PUT THE APPLIQUE ON THEM SO I WILL BE ON TIME FROM NOW ON.
I LOVE THIS QUILT.
LOVE ELY

Posts: 1776 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: Dec 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
How nice, Ely!!!! You may have started late but it sounds as if you will be catching up very quickly.

posted Hide Post
Well...I have learned one thing...the more Caleb watches me work on this, the more work I DO!!! Razz The little whipper snapper has lots of ideas "mom wouldn't it be neat if"??? or "mom a winking snowman would be so funny and cute"!!!

Kathy, as much as I enjoyed your hospitality and brekfast and bacon sandwich...I sure wish we would have pulled out some embroidery work so you could have shown me how to do some of these dang stitches I've been trying to teach myself...lol...maybe next time we meet up :d I enjoyed your company so much!

posted Hide Post
So close to finishing this block...just have the embroider the reins...I may have to end up redoing some of it...I went to press it last night and had forgot I'd left the iron on steam after ironing DH's work shirt (he had a meeting,I don't usually iron his work clothes...lol) but the steam made my block go all wrinkly in places Frown wierd...not sure what happened...but I'll be sre to check the setting on the iron from now on!

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
We have until the 20th to get this block finished before we draw for the next prize in the line up...

It is a 50.00 gift certificate this time around!

9 days and counting down...

1. Mo.star
2. califshrimp
3. warmbuns Smile
4. Kentucky Sunshine Smile
5. elainetoo Smile
6. yhtac
7. Mountain laurel
8. SCLady
9. ddquilts Smile
10. MyJack
11. wenonah
12. quiltaholic
13. headielamar
14. J Lu Smile
15. paus4quilts
16. Brandyquilter Smile
17. crazy'boutquilts
18. shequilts Smile
19. Meme Quilts Smile
20. mi. debbie
21. amiko Smile
22. gremgramma
23. ivy_cottage81
24. mw8930
25. Gracie/Ohio
26. Shawkl Smile
27. zeydrago
28. Elizabeth Ahsanullah
29. sprmom

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
KS...I'm using a load of stem stitch on these blocks. And, there is a tutorial for that on my blog...so I can help you long-distance. Go check that out at shawkl.com

Hugs!

posted Hide Post
Q. Block 2 finished Smile

Thanks Kathy, headed there after this post Smile I have kinda figured out the stem stitch...but it needs to be neater, hoping that comes with practice...my satin stitch is horrible...I saw after taking the pics where I need to go back and fill in the rose leaves, hoping I can manage it without having to redo it...I've asked for an ott light for Mothers Day, so hoping that will improve my late night stitching as I can clearly see in the light of day that I should NOT be stitching at night Razz

I have had a blast working on this with Caleb and hope he has fond memories of us designing the clothes together, he is quite funny when it comes to his ideas...I LOVE seeing it through his eyes...guess whose idea it was for the little guy to be throwing a snowball? LOL

posted Hide Post
The top half close up...the sleigh went all wrinkly from the steam iron but after looking closer it is mainly wher ethe present and snowfella are tucked in, and hey after it's washed...it's gonna be all wrinkly and soft anyhow...so I quit worrying about it.

Caleb insisted the reindeer have a red nose and velvet antlers which gave me fits, but it was a great idea in the end...and he is supposed to have a small jingle bell on his collar,but some lil'fella was playing with them and now they are missing in action...he was being a reindeer and running through the house singing "dashing through the snow"....

posted Hide Post
The bottom half closeup...Caleb insists that these are us...and that "mommy and daddy are flirting" he decided we needed to dress up fancy like we were going to a party, and that the lady had to have a kissy mouth and the the man had to be winking...and that he had to have a snowball to throw at us because we were about to kiss...I'm hoping he will continue to help with input on this quilt, but also thinking he will work my fingers to the bone with his "ideas" lol

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
KS, that block is sooooo precious. Caleb has a good eye, keep encouraging it.

Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Great job, KS!!! I love all the little additions Caleb wanted.

All I have left on block #3 is the wing on the bird. Should get it done tonight. I have started a little on block #4 and this morning I pieced the background for block #6. Tomorrow my DM is having hip replacement surgery so I have plenty to work on while sitting at the hospital.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2826 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous Trish!

Picture of sprmom
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5529 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: Sep 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trish, your block is adorable! Caleb has some wonderful ideas.

Sprmom, can't wait to see it!

I can't wait to see all your blocks. Should be a fun week to check this thread. Wink

Brandy
~There are pawprints on my heart.~
www.prairiepawsrescue.com

Posts: 5094 | Location: North Dakota! | Registered: Jul 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks ladies, it has been a real joy doing this with Caleb, he was ready for block 3 this morning, but I told him my fingers were a bit sore and I just needed to cut fabric for a few other things to sew on the machine...he said "that's OK mom, I need to have a look, and see where we can add a penguin, cause they like snow and ice too...right"? He's too cute and funny!

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Your block is gorgeous Kentucky I love it.

J Lu

Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
All the ladies that are coming to Odenville next weekend, please bring your Merry Snowmen and we will have a Sowman sewing circle. I have not worked on mine anymore since I ruined block three and had to improvise.

I plan on finishing it while we are there. I purchased fabric this week for the border, backing and binding.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Trish, that block is just too cute! It's great the Caleb is wanting to participate...you'll make a quilter out of him yet!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by warm buns:
All the ladies that are coming to Odenville next weekend, please bring your Merry Snowmen and we will have a Sowman sewing circle. I have not worked on mine anymore since I ruined block three and had to improvise.

I plan on finishing it while we are there. I purchased fabric this week for the border, backing and binding.

Ohhhhh that sounds like so much fun Bunsie...has this been booked for 2014 yet? I'm hoping to make it there next year Smile

Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
It is booked for November. We will book for next year before we leave the end of April. You can go to her web site www.magnoliaparkretreat.com and look at her calendar and see when we are there. We call ourselves the "Magnolia Thread Catchers"

We would love to have you join us when you can plan a trip home.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
The November retreat starts on October 31 and ends Nov 3.

Linda... I hope you dont go to Odenville next weekend.. we won't be there with you. Hop on over a few days forward.. Smile

posted Hide Post
Thanks Bunsie for that link...I didn't realize you ladies go twice a year...how exciting Big Grin Not sure what everyone else's schedule will be like next year, but late April early May would be great for me Smile