Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Merry Merry Snowmen Sew Along - - BLOCK #2 - WINNER POSTED!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merry Merry Snowmen Sew Along - - BLOCK #2 - WINNER POSTED! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted
Prize this round is a 50.00 gift certificate from Stitch and Frame. www.stitch-n-frame.net

Merry Merry Snowmen Sew Along!!

Pattern designed by Anne Sutton, of Bunny Hill Designs

Merry Merry Snowmen - Size 62 x 66 inches

During the sew along, you will all have a time frame to complete each block. Completed means -- complete -- It does not mean applying fusible to your pieces and ironing them down only. It means adding the stitches around your pieces that anchor them to the blocks. Please play fair.

You will be uploading a photo of your completed block on a pre-selected day here on the forum so we can share with the other members not in the sew along. A Flickr Group has been started for our blocks and you all will be able to upload your photos there as well. Just follow this link to our group and as you upload your photo, you will be added to the group. http://www.flickr.com/groups/merrymerrysnowmen/

Everyone who finishes their blocks by the schedule will be put in to a drawing to win a prize. First name drawn will win the current prize. Some of the prizes have been listed and others will be listed as I know what they will be. I have a few sponsors and un-sponsored monthly prizes will come from the prize kitty.

You can not win the prize more than once in a 3 month period. We still expect you to work on your blocks for the next 2 current months though and share photos just as you had been doing.

At the end when all blocks are finished, everyone will then have a time frame to get their blocks in to quilt top form. A winner will be drawn from all who post their photo by the specified time.

After that everyone will have a time frame to get their quilt finished and bound. Everyone who completes this will be put in a drawing for a much nicer prize and the name drawn will win.

A 12th and final prize will be given to the name drawn from all eligible entries of those who took part 100%. 100% means that you made each block and uploaded a photo of it by each deadline. You were never late and you finished your quilt by the end time permitted.

Here is the schedule I have set up in order for us to have our quilts finished and ready to use for Christmas 2013.

I will start a brand new thread for each installment. PLEASE do not upload any other photos but the current block we are working on. Thank you.

March 1 - March 26 --- Photos of BLOCK #1 are due to post on March 26th by 7 a.m. Eastern time. Prize will be a 25.00 gift certificate from The Fat Quarter Shop. www.fatquartershop.com

March 26 - April 20 --- Photos of BLOCK #2 are due to post on April 20th by 7 a.m. Eastern time. Prize will be a 50.00 gift certificate from Stitch and Frame. www.stitch-n-frame.net

April 20 - May 15 --- Photos of BLOCK #3 are due to post on May 15th by 7 a.m. Eastern time. Prize will be a 50.00 gift certificate from Bunny Hill Designs. http://www.bunnyhilldesigns.com

May 15 - June 8 --- Photos of BLOCK #4 are due to post on June 8th by 7 a.m. Eastern time. Prize will be a 50.00 gift certificate from Stitch and Frame. www.stitch-n-frame.net

June 8 - July 2 --- Photos of BLOCK #5 are due to post on July 2nd by 7 a.m. Eastern time

July 2 - July 26 --- Photos of BLOCK #6 are due to post on July 26th by 7 a.m. Eastern time. Quilts Like Crazy in Wake Forest, NC is our prize sponsor this round. She is gifting (2) 15.00 gift certificates! 2 winners this round! http://quiltslikecrazy.com

July 26 - August 20 --- Photos of BLOCK #7 are due to post on August 20th by 7 a.m. Eastern time. Prize will be a 25.00 gift certificate from The Fat Quarter Shop. www.fatquartershop.com

August 20 - September 14 --- Photos of BLOCK #8 are due to post on September 14th by 7 a.m. Eastern time

September 14 - October 8 --- Photos of BLOCK #9 are due to post on October 8th by 7 a.m. Eastern time. Prize will be a 25.00 gift certificate from The Fat Quarter Shop.
www.fatquartershop.com

October 8 - November 5 --- Photos of completed quilt tops are to be posted on November 5th by 7 a.m. Eastern time. All sashing and borders have been applied and it is ready for quilting!

November 5 - December 7 --- Photos of finished quilts WITH binding are to be posted on December 7th by 7 a.m. Eastern time

Then --- ENJOY your brand new Christmas quilt!

IF you cannot upload photos to the forum you can email me a photo of your block and I can upload it for you. IF you need to do this do not wait until the last minute to email me the photo. ALL emailed photos should be in my inbox the day before they are due. This gives me time to re-size and get them posted on time.

Participants: (I will keep add a smiley by your name for each installment you complete to keep up with the stitchers who will be entered in the final prize for 100% participation)

1. Mo.star Smile
2. califshrimp
3. warmbuns Smile
4. Kentucky Sunshine Smile
5. elainetoo (Nancy) Smile
6. yhtac Smile
7. Mountain laurel
8. SCLady (Libby)
9. ddquilts (Dolores) Smile
10. MyJack
11. wenonah (Jackie) Smile
12. quiltaholic (Thearica)
13. headielamar (Lisa)
14. J Lu (Jan) Smile
15. paus4quilts (Pauline) Smile
16. Brandyquilter Smile
17. crazy'boutquilts Smile
18. shequilts (Sheila) Smile
19. Meme Quilts (Mary) Smile
20. mi. debbie (Debbie) Smile
21. amiko (Darlene) Smile
22. gremgramma
23. ivy_cottage81 (Karen)Smile
24. mw8930 - (marj) Smile
25. Gracie/Ohio
26. Shawkl (Kathy) Smile
27. zeydrago
28. Ely (Elizabeth)
29. sprmom Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltaholic,

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25639 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Got my fabrics, got my fusibles, just need to get working.

Thanx, Q.

Posts: 5887 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
My second block is getting close to done. I think I have all the applique done, now working on the embroidery. I started pinning the pieces of block 3 on this morning because my DM was suppose to have hip replacement tomorrow and I thought this would be a good thing to work on in the waiting room. I just got a call from her and the surgery has been postponed, she has a bladder infection.

In order to see the rainbow, first you must endure the rain.

Posts: 2823 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Looks like we had a lot of first block finishers.

Posts: 2823 | Location: SE Missouri | Registered: Jul 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thearica, you didn't finish block 1!! I thought you would be the most likely to finish all the blocks on time and qualify for the final prize!

There are a lot of finishers, yeah! I am having so much fun with this project. I am so glad I joined, so happy that so many are doing this together, and thankful for our fearless leader!

Brandy
~There are pawprints on my heart.~
www.prairiepawsrescue.com

Posts: 5094 | Location: North Dakota! | Registered: Jul 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
I'll go first...my block two is finished. I'm pretty happy with it, although it is not perfect. The only part that might get re-done later is the reindeer antlers...I'm thinking that embroidery versions might be more like "real" antlers than the pattern's versions. But, for now...I'm just hoping that they'll grow on me!

Posts: 4609 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Closeup of the top...

Posts: 4609 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
and the bottom...

Picture of mw8930
posted Hide Post
Nice block Kathy!

I hope to start my block 2 tonight or at least by this weekend.

Marj

Posts: 282 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mw8930
posted Hide Post
Kathy, how many threads did you use to stitch the arms of the snowmen? I'm using two, but it doesn't seem thick enough. I may redo mine on my block 1 - just noticed the arms are different lengths.

Marj

Posts: 282 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Kathy, I'm glad you posted yours. I hadn't read far enough ahead to see the center snowman has red buttons instead of the black ones. I'm bad about not reading "all" the directions. Nice block.

Picture of amiko
posted Hide Post
Finished with Block 2. Do we post on Flicker where we posted Block 1?????
amiko

Posts: 366 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is my block 2. Love the other ones posted and can't wait to see more!

Brandy

Posts: 5094 | Location: North Dakota! | Registered: Jul 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Holy Hannah!!!!! Three terrific blocks, on the first day!!!!!!

I love what you've all done with the sled fabrics.

posted Hide Post
Hi Brandyquilter, Can I asked what you used for the ribbon/bow on the package. I don't want to use ribbon, was hoping to find just the right size printed bow on fabric to applique but no luck so far.Thanks for the info and your blocks are so pretty, I never would have thought to use florals.
Debbie

Posts: 216 | Registered: Oct 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
Great blocks already.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elainetoo,

Posts: 7979 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Debbie, I just drew one and used regular fabric. I didn't want to mess with trying to use ribbon. Since I am fusing all my appliques I thought this would be the way to do it for me.

I didn't read close enough to see that the center snowperson should have red buttons. I might have to change that. I am still using the buttons from the embellishment pack. I like the little pops of red.

Brandy

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Brandy... The prizes are for all of you.. not myself.. I will have fun presenting them each time.. Smile

My sister is here from Bama and is not a crafter so even though she wanted to make a banner for her sons Lads to Leaders group, that isn't getting done either..

I will get my blocks all laid out and started when she leaves on Thursday...

And the Flickr group is for all of the blocks so keep posting away over there. Smile

Posts: 25639 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Ha!, don't follow me...I never read instructions! I just liked the red buttons for the "girl" snowperson...so went with them.

Loving the blue and the shabby chic! Heck, now...I'll be doing this quilt at least two more times!

Picture of crazy'boutquilts
posted Hide Post
Look at you guys go! Eek I thought I was lucky to get block one done. LOL Wink Your blocks all look wonderful!

Posts: 10445 | Location: Washington! :-) | Registered: Sep 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quiltslots
posted Hide Post
All the blocks are beautiful! Keep up the good work girls!

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shequilts
posted Hide Post
All the blocks look fantastic! I really like the things some people have tweaked. I having so much fun I can't stay out of my sewing room. I finished block 2 this morning. I'm posting it here and then I'll post it on Flicker.

Sew, sew, and sew some more that's my motto!

Posts: 704 | Location: Eaton, OH  | Registered: Apr 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
The 100% participation smileys can still be earned even if you miss the deadline for the block installment prizes. As long as you post your finished photos of your blocks on the corresponding block number thread, I will see the updated thread and can go in and see who posted what.

Your finished block will earn you a smiley... Earn all smileys to be in the final prize pot.

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
Boy, it sure is going to be hard to keep up with all the over achievers in this sew along. Two more really nice blocks.

Good going, gals.

Picture of ivy_cottage81
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, just beautiful blocks.
Just love all the different fabric choices, ladies!

But that BLUE... Elaine!
Oh, I may have to shop!!!

ivy (Karen)

Posts: 717 | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Great looking blocks ladies!

1. Mo.star
2. califshrimp
3. warmbuns
4. Kentucky Sunshine
5. elainetoo Smile
6. yhtac
7. Mountain laurel
8. SCLady
9. ddquilts Smile
10. MyJack
11. wenonah
12. quiltaholic
13. headielamar
14. J Lu Smile
15. paus4quilts
16. Brandyquilter Smile
17. crazy'boutquilts
18. shequilts Smile
19. Meme Quilts
20. mi. debbie
21. amiko Smile
22. gremgramma
23. ivy_cottage81
24. mw8930
25. Gracie/Ohio
26. Shawkl Smile
27. zeydrago
28. Elizabeth Ahsanullah
29. sprmom

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Ivy...I totally agree! That blue is wonderful...

But...I'm really getting into those lovely shabby chic fabrics too!

My mom will love the christmas colors I'm using...but, for me...I might be doing this quilt again!

Picture of dd quilts
posted Hide Post
Okay - here is my block 2. I've put it on the Flicker site also. I've just placed my buttons where there will go. And the ribbon is much longer than I'll make it, but didn't want to cut it yet.

I'm enjoying this and love seeing all the pics. I had run out of my wonder under (?), so just got more today.

dd

Posts: 268 | Location: Charleston SC | Registered: Jun 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I am so proud of how you are all working on these blocks. Smile

And for those of us who are a little behind.. we will catch up... Smile

Picture of dd quilts
posted Hide Post
Funny - when I read my post on my laptop the picture is correct. When I look on my Ipad, it is sideways! My poor little snowmen fell over!! :-(

dd

Posts: 268 | Location: Charleston SC | Registered: Jun 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
dd, really nice looking block. I like the long bow.

Since there are four snowpeople in this block I decided to just do all the snowmen for the quilt at one time and be done with them. I discovered...I have no winter white in my stash. I have off-white, white on white more to the off-white side, ecru, Kona white, sheet white, etc. But no patterned whites!!!! I'll be danged.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Hello ladies... Just bumping us up to page 1...

Remember.. if you are still working on block #1... post photos to that thread once you are finished and I will update you to a smiley for finishing round 1. Smile

Here is the link to the thread for Block #1 for easy finding..

http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/for...533952967#4533952967

posted Hide Post
Wow! Look at you stitchers go!!! Your blocks are really fun. This will make some fun quilts!!

Posts: 3405 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
Man you gals are just toooooooooo quick. I have been busy in my sewing room this week doing stuff for retreat in June, working on QOV and spent the morning keeping my precious Charlie and spent the afternoon taking mother to get her Easter color and hairdo and topped it off late this afternoon with a trip up to ragmans. I am exhausted just tying this. I may get me a glass of merlot and work on finishing my second block.

Beautiful blocks so far girls.
It was great to see so many finishers for the first block.

Posts: 3603 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
You over achievers you Razz I love your # 2 blocks and am looking forward to starting mine...my plan is to do a red and white at the same time as my blue color way for Caleb, haven't started it yet ~sigh...still waiting on some fabrics to arrive...ordered a FQ for my sleigh from a shop here in OZ and have got 2 shipments from the states that were placed after the FQ sleigh fabric...pffffttttt Razz don't they know they are holding up progress...LOL

I have to say yet again, I've never thought I was much of a shabby chic gal...but DH says I am as shabby as they get, because I am constantly dragging in odd pieces of old solid wood furniture to redo that does not match anything (he likes things to match) so you can imagine his shock and horror when I start dragging stuff off the curb and carting it home...he took me to several nice furniture stores in the beginning to try and get me to replace my old ones with "nice things" as he put it...he likes all the glass and brass, shiney stuff that makes me cringe looking at it, (something to polish and clean and take away from my sewing time) and I of course loved and petted on all the distressed furniture, he gasped when he looked at the price tags, then...he finally smiled and sighed and said "well I knew I was marrying a country gal, and I'll be content with one that saves me money" I'm pretty sure he has also been biten by the bug because I told him I want a long skinny dining table like my gran had growing up, and that there could be no 2 chairs that went around it alike...guess who has been bringing home the odd chair every now and then and collecting them in the garage...DH Big Grin lol even though there are some alike he suggested the chairs they could be painted or stained different colors...he's also brought home several wonderful cupboards for my sewing room, and for storage in the garage...I'm just smiling inside that DH and I blend so well together, and when we don't we always manage to...sorta just mesh anyhow...so I can certainly see me doing this a 3rd time as well in shabby chic fabrics but of course that will entail collecting them...lol...as I'm pretty sure my stash won't have many at all..

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7022 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
I finished my block #2 yesterday, but I haven't had time to take a pic yet. The last of the 5 GKs we had over the weekend are going home today. Then I can relax and get a pic. I hope to post a pic tonight or tomorrow. Started sewing on block #3 on our trip to take one DGD home yesterday.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
I hope to start on mine next week. Looking forward to it too. Smile

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
My computer is acting up. I can't post until my DH gets home. This bock took me forever it seemed. Moving on to number 3.

J Lu

Posts: 932 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
I worked on block two Sunday afternoon, in between the egg hunting, pie eating, grand kid chasing. Then I finished it yesterday while I watched them play basketball and ride their bikes. The weather was horrible Sunday, we hid easter eggs in the mud. Yesterday the sun came out and it was beautiful.

After everyone left yesterday afternoon, I started on block three. I got the house sewn down, one window, the door and the star above the door. I went to baste the roof on before I went to bed and the roof hung off the top of the fabric.

The house was supposed to go down on the strip of light colored fabric under the red square but I moved mine up onto the red square.
NOTE TO SELF.....READ INSTRUCTIONS!!!!! arrrrrgh!!!!!!!!

Oh well, I have plenty of time to fix it.

Posts: 3603 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
Oh have you noticed how my sleigh and reindeer are going the wrong way. Guess what? My car and other stuff on this quilt will all be going the opposite direction. Notice I did not say "Wrong" direction, I said "opposite". This is my quilt so there is no wrong direction. smile.

I had no idea when I started that I would like this needleturn so I reversed all my patterns when I traced them onto the freezer paper..
I already had everything traced when I decided to try needleturn and I liked it so I was not going to do it all over again. It works for me.

Now I need to go post these pictures to flickr.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Great looking blocks ladies!

1. Mo.star
2. califshrimp
3. warmbuns Smile
4. Kentucky Sunshine
5. elainetoo Smile
6. yhtac
7. Mountain laurel
8. SCLady
9. ddquilts Smile
10. MyJack
11. wenonah
12. quiltaholic
13. headielamar
14. J Lu Smile
15. paus4quilts
16. Brandyquilter Smile
17. crazy'boutquilts
18. shequilts Smile
19. Meme Quilts Smile
20. mi. debbie
21. amiko Smile
22. gremgramma
23. ivy_cottage81
24. mw8930
25. Gracie/Ohio
26. Shawkl Smile
27. zeydrago
28. Elizabeth Ahsanullah
29. sprmom

Picture of Meme quilts
posted Hide Post
Here is my block #2. It's hard to tell in the pic, but my reindeer has a red nose. My DH's name is Rudolph so any reindeer at my house has to have a red nose.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Meme quilts,

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Hey Linda...who says the house has to be that tall? You can pick out a few stitches...and trim the house down so the roof will fit on the block. Shorten those windows that are not on yet!

Loving the red nose Rudolph!

This quilt is really a load of fun!

Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
Kathy on that block there is a small maybe 2 inch strip of light colored fabric at the bottom of the big red rectangle that the house sits on. I may unsew that strip and sew it to the top of the block so my roof can sit on that.

I am trying to visualize what it will look like if I do that. I worked on that block from about 5:30 to nearly midnight.

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Linda,

I think that is a wonderful solution!

And, since there are no linear sections to the top of Block #2...there is no disruption to the overall design...IMHO.

Go for it!

Picture of Kentucky_Sunshine
posted Hide Post
Great blocks ladies.

Linda, I like Kathy's idea and after looking at the block, your idea might just be an easy fix too...I've worked on my block nearly all day, dang my fingers are sore, but I'm loving how it is turning out!

I also like how your blocks are in the opposite direction!

Meme love that red nose,I was debating whether to do red or not, but think Caleb would love it Smile I also like how you switched the top and bottom background fabrics.

I have added extra bits on this block and it is taking forever, but Caleb will really enjoy it! I've also decided to do mine QAYG.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kentucky_Sunshine,

" Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.. "

Posts: 7022 | Location: "Across the ocean blue amongst the wildflower's & honeydews" | Registered: Aug 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
Love that red nose Rudolph!

Everyone is doing an awesome job!

Picture of paus4quilts
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!

Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
KS I am going to do mine QAYG also. When I get done with block three, I am going to sew 1, 2, and three together, put my borders on that part and quilt it.

Then I will quilt 4 and 7,
Then I will quilt 5 and 8
Then I will quilt 6 and 9

Hopefully by the time I get them all appliqued and embroidered I will be caught up on my quilting all but the border across the bottom of the quilt.

It will be easy to handle and I can hand quilt them.

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Hoping this works

J Lu

Posts: 932 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post