Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  2013 RRRR - Party has started
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2013 RRRR - Party has started Sign In/Join 
Picture of Nickilee
posted
2013 RRRR - (Row by Row Round Robin)
START DATE: February 1, 2013

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE: Please print this out

Hi ladies – so happy everyone is looking forward to this RRRR (Row by Row Round Robin). We have one heck of a great group of quilters here so I know we’ll be looking at some gorgeous quilts when they are all done!

We now have our Group of 18 and names have been drawn & matched up. I will be the Group Momma for my Group 1 and when the Groups 2 & 3 are listed, I’d appreciate it if someone within your Group would volunteer to be your Group Momma. A Group Momma will basically be the one to keep track of all the mailing and receiving of the RR.

GUIDELINES

SIZES:

We will be doing variegated sized blocks for the rows. Thanks to Bluesnail and EvelynB for helping me out with this – too much kahula in my coffee does not make for good math LOL! Evelyn , thank you for figuring out all the numbers:

All sizes are based on FINISHED 12” blocks. The best present I ever gave myself was my Omnigrid 12.5” square ruler – perfect for our blocks! Each quilt will have 7 rows. Since we only have 6 players in each Group, each participant will make their own 12” block row AND 1 – 4” block row leaving 5 rows to be made by the other 5 participants in your Group.

1 Row – using 12” finished blocks = 4 blocks = 48”

2 Rows – using 8” finished blocks = 6 blocks = 48”

2 Rows – using 6” finished blocks = 8 blocks = 48”

2 Rows – using 4” finished blocks = 12 blocks = 48” **
** Please note each participant will make one of their own 4” block rows

Since we WILL NOT be adding the strips between the rows we will NOT be sewing the rows together. By not sewing the rows together, this eliminates the need to send in extra fabric for the sashes as well as gives the owner the chance to put the rows in their favorite order when putting the quilt together.

If the rows are 48" finished then they'd be 48.5" when completed and the length would be 48.5" and we'd have a square. When all rows are completed you will have 7 rows to create your own quilt.

RRRR :
I would like to make it a bit more challenging than just the typical RR where we each pull fabrics from our stash to blend in with the rows we are working on. INSTEAD, when you send you original 1st Row (12” Finished blocks to equal 48” wide) please pick out a fabric that you have used in your first Row and would like it to be used throughout your entire quilt to bring it all together. You will need to include with your 12” Row one 6x45” (44" in some fabrics) piece to each participant in your group. With 5 others working on your quilt and the extra 4” block row you will be making and also your 1st 12” row, you will probably be looking at a least 1.5 yards of the coordinating fabric. The rest of the fabrics will be chosen by the person working on your Row. Your quilt can be ANYTHING you'd like...pattern, color, theme. You can paper piece, applique or do regular quilt blocks to make up your row but please nothing with embellishing such as Lace (boo hoo), beads, buttons etc..

Please wash ALL fabrics before using as we don’t want to end up with a quilt half washed and half not.

When working on the Rows, please take your time and look at what the persons 12” row looks like. Get a feel for what she colors and style she is looking for and try to create something that will compliment her Row.

I have created a Rotation schedule for each Group – it will be PM’d to you with the addresses of those in your group. With 6 participants in each Group this will allow for EACH person to create your own 1–12” Block row, 2-8” block rows, 2-6” block rows and 1- 4” block row within your Group so this works out equally for everyone.

A monthly schedule for blocks by size is as follows: We will all follow this list monthly. You MUST follow the order of your Rotation List in order for this to work out – NO skipping around the order. #1 person mails to #2 person, #2 person mail to #3 person and so on. Person #6 will mail to person #1 on your Rotation List.

Mail Date: Mail your 12” Blocks to be received by February 1st.

February – March 1st – Everyone will make 8” Block rows
March – April 1st - Everyone will make 6” rows
April – May 1st - Everyone will make 4” rows
May – June 1st – Everyone will make 8” rows
June – July 1st – Everyone will make 6” rows
July st – Everyone will receive their Rows back home (6) and will then make their own 4” Row

COURTESY:

I’m sure I don’t have to remind you - I believe I’m not the only one who would request this. As one who does not smoke and has an allergy to cigarette smoke and heavy perfume odors, PLEASE, if you smoke DO NOT smoke around the RR. Keep all foods and drinks away too as we don’t want any accidents.

MAILING:

Mail Date for the first Row is to be received by February 1st – each person will have approximately 3+ weeks to work on the row. All mailings are to be received by the 1st of each month after that. With 6 of us in a Group this means that since we are starting on February 1st, all 6 rows should be back home by the August 1st which would give you plenty of time to do your last 4” row and still have plenty of time to work on it if you plan on giving it as a Christmas present in 2013.

Although you do not have to mail out using Priority Mail, please make sure it is mailed in time to reach the person you send to by the 1st of the month AND PLEASE have confirmation on your package. Once mailed, please email/PM your confirmation number to your Group Momma.

When mailing out your 12” Row put it and all of your 6x45” fabrics strips in a plastic bag along with a card with your address and telephone number on it. Please keep everything organized as your received and mail it. If you want, include a little note/journal in with your 12” row indicating colors/theme you’d prefer or don't like. I for one would not like to see any orange showing up in my rows - Eeek!!!!!!!!

When mailing – you will each be on a rotation list. You will mail to the person listed BELOW your name. You will mail to the SAME person every month. I would appreciate it very much if ya’ll would check in at least once a week even if it’s just to say “hi”. PLEASE feel free to post pictures of your fabrics and your work as you go along. No need in keeping it all a secret as I find the best way to creativity is in the sharing of inspiration. Let’s get this party started!

I will be sending a Group PM later this evening with all the Rotation Lists and Addresses. Once you have received it please check in to let me know you have received it.

GROUPS:

Group #1:
1 NickiLee
2 Irish42
3 RockinBobbin
4 JLu
5 Fluer55
6 Ekbuckeye

Group #2:
1 Quiltaholic
2 Ely
3 Pandibear
4 Lace Angel
5 RN 55
6 RondiQuilts

Group #3
1 LisaTX
2 EvelynB
3 Timecard24
4 GoneSewin
5 Bluesnail
6 Warm Bunns

Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nickilee,

"She said she usually cried at least one each day, not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short"

www.CQnickilee.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyladie/sets/
www.RavioleeDreams.Etsy.com - LOTS OF PRETTIES - 4/2014

Posts: 10274 | Location: In the Crazy land of Crazy Quilting, MA | Registered: Dec 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Hurray! This is going to be such fun! There's so many options for the theme. I have a curtain rod hanging in my den and another area in my entrance hall that are perfect for this kind of quilt. I love seasonal or holiday themes. I've just got to decide which I'd prefer. I'm glad it's a row robin and not a round robin. Those get BIG fast and with a tiny wrong measurement become disasters. This is much easier to do.
Evelyn

Posts: 7482 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
Yay! Thanks for moving this along Nicki!
I am truly looking forward to this!

Posts: 2529 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
I am just assuming that I should be in group three!!!!! I had to assume because I am not listed in any of the groups.

Posts: 3632 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
You squeezed by that 10,000 posting by editing your last post. DARN!!!!!!

Posts: 3632 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Yea, Bunsie, I get to see your starting row in person first!

This is going to be a great time.

Now, how long is Nicki going to stay in hiding to keep from hitting 10,000?

Posts: 5055 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ekbuckeye
posted Hide Post
I got the rotation list PM and am raring to go since I've decided on my block pattern. I got my common fabric today, for my block backgrounds. Looking forward to designing the rows to come!

Ellen

"Wishing you sunshine and blessings"

Posts: 2293 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: May 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Checking in Smile. Rotation list came in PM. DH & DD have this week off. I know they are ready to go back to work so they don't have to listen to my ideas bouncing around lol.

Posts: 765 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
Checking in too. Got the mailing rotation. I'm all set. Just need to find a pattern, pick out some fabric, - did I say I was ready??? Well, I will be soon. LOL

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2262 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
checking in here and letting you know that I got my mailing list by pm.

I am sitting here patiently waiting on you to quit being rude and post that you have acknowledged our acknowledgement. Come on out and post, I have sat here all night and watched for a post from you!!!!! Are you waiting for the ball to drop in NY City?

OK, I am going to get a nap, you can post now@#$#$%**^%^^&#&%!!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: warm buns,

posted Hide Post
I'm checking in - got the group list, will print the "rules", and then go shopping.

Warm buns....about a month ago my DD's classroom had a beekeeper come in to talk about honey/bees. He brought a variety of honey flavors to try - mmmm. Guess what, there was one in there from Tupelo! He said he loves Tupelo Honey! What a treat for the kids (and me too).

Posts: 2226 | Registered: Apr 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
Our honey is famous. It is also referenced in a few classic oldie but goodie songs. I can not recall just now which ones sing about it but I can look it up.

Honey is very good for you also. I know a man around here who has bees and when his arthritis is acting up he riles the bees so they will sting him and he says it eliminates his joint pains. I have not tried it to see if it works!!!!!

For the honey to help with your allergies you need to get honey that is harvested as close to your home area as possible for it to be more effective.

My son is a germaphobe. He wont get out of the house every morning with out drinking Tupelo honey in his coffee. He says it helps with colds and such. He also carries a bottle of germx in his pocket. He is a car salesman and shakes hands with people all day. He keeps a bottle of lysol wipes in his desk drawer and wipes his desk off with them if any one touches his desk. He has just gotten this way just here lately.

posted Hide Post
I am checking in too. I got the PM and can't wait to get started. I have narrowed it down to two themes, now to decide on with one to actually go with. I guess I need to make a stop at the fabric stores - maybe that will get the creative juices flowing and help me decide.

Posts: 280 | Location: Texas | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Got the PM and am bumping up to see if any of our speedy sewers want to share their picture.

Oh, Nicki, weren't you going to post a picture of your starting row Cool.

posted Hide Post
I will be watching with great interest in your gorgeous-to-be row-by-rows!

Posts: 3511 | Location: grammyville | Registered: Sep 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
We are home from our holiday travels and am ready to gear up the sewing machine! vroom vroom!!!

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25862 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2529 | Location: batavia ny | Registered: Sep 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year Ladies!

Ely & Pandibear, please check in your PMs for the Rotation List/Addresses so you ccan be accoutned for and also to see what we've been discussing.

Now that the RRRR party has started please post here on this thread. I would love it if ya'll would post some pictures of your fabrics that you are going to be using.

"She said she usually cried at least one each day, not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short"

Posts: 10274 | Location: In the Crazy land of Crazy Quilting, MA | Registered: Dec 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
Working on my first row today. I'm going to use yellow, blue, and white for this wallhanging that will coordinate with a bed quilt I made. I've got these cups fused down and need to stitch them in place, then make them into the 12"x48" first row.

Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
ooooooooh Evelyn - those are beautiful! Where did you find the teacup pattern? Love the blue delft looking fabrics too!

posted Hide Post
I am thinking about how I want to proceed with my first row. I know I am doing Halloween and have the fabric just not sure what I want my first blocks to be.
Evelyn, your teacups are gorgeous. My Grandmothers favorite colors were blue and yellow. She was so easy to buy for, as long as you went with those two colors she was happy. Her clothing, house, vehicles...everything was blue and yellow.

Rondi

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rondiquilts,

Posts: 1567 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Nice Evelyn your on a roll on this challenge. I love the cups. My whole downstairs is Blue, white and yellow with red accents.

So I finished number 3 of my row not ready to post yet.

J Lu

Posts: 1089 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, Evelyn! Are those blocks 6" finished? Was wondering if you are doing a double row of 6" blocks. I will be looking forward to seeing them in person, but I'll be the last one to see them before it all goes back to you.

Still pondering on my own--really want to stick with the peacocks, but need to think a bit more.

Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I got the teacups from www.fatcatpatterns.com
I've had them a long time wanting to make a wallhanging and this makes me sooo happy! I finished blanket stitching around them and decided they needed a tea pot. To make it symmetric I used two pots. So my 6" blocks added to the 9" wide pots gives me the 48" (48.5") that I needed. I plan to put the blue between my rows. I love blue too. My house even has blue carpet. It's soothing to me and adding yellow makes me so happy. I'll be sending the Kona buttercup yellow fabric for everyone to use in their rows. (My mother's wedding ring quilt had this same yellow and it's always made me feel nostalgic.) Thanks for the compliments. I'm so appreciative that we have this chance to do a row robin. I'm ready to mail!

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
So lovely, Evelyn! My brain is already turning, even though it will be a while before it is in my hands.

Our living room, entry way and my sewing room all have yellow walls--love it!

Looking forward to more pictures from the other players.

Picture of ELY/SYSSY
posted Hide Post
HI LADIES
NICKI I DID GET THE PM.
Q I WILL CALL YOU SOON.
PANDY I WILL BE REDY TO SENT BY MONDAY BEAUSE I
AM LIVING THE CONTRY ON THE 1-15 TO GO TO BANGLASH
LOVE ELY

Posts: 1783 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: Dec 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Ely, I still need you to check in on the PM so that eeryone has been accounted. I hope to see you before your trip - it's coming up fast!

Evelyn - that is one beautiful first row! Thanks for the Pattern site.Big Grin

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Evelyn, what a beautiful row! Thank you for posting, you have got my creative ideas flowing .

I finally pulled out my fabric and pattern is set??? Now just to get the rest of Christmas decorations put away so I can "create" lol.

Will post a pic of fabric as soon as I can find the camera, its under something.

Dianne

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fleur55,

Posts: 765 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: May 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Waaaaaaaa I just spent the morning looking for the perfect pattern... printed out all my blocks to Paper piece and then realized I printed them out the wrong size! Guess I have a bunch of scrap paper now Big Grin!

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
Happy Happy Happy!!! found the camera under the village boxes Smile Here is the fabric I have decided to use.

posted Hide Post
I need to put this on my list pf goals for the week to get done!
I pretty much know what I want to do just got to do it.
Good for you that are done!

ROndi

Posts: 1567 | Location: winchester,ky | Registered: Aug 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh Fleur, I love that combo. See, this whole posting pictures thing will make me want to make rows for everyone!

Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Fleur - love those fabrics - I just pulled out some fabulous ones that will work with your colorsBig Grin

I'll try and post a picture of my fabrics sometime today - that's if I can resize them to be up to HGTV standards!

Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
OK - let's see if this new resizing program works... Here are my fabrics... the black shown is what I will do for the binding once my rows are all done - go ahead an incorporate a touch of black into my rows too please.

posted Hide Post
Nicki....love those fabrics. I like working with black; sometimes it is so striking in a quilt.
I thought about my "theme" and decided to start a new tradition at our house. I am going to do a birthday quilt.
I'm not sure about the layout yet; I'm thinking these 2 blocks and a long block with a black background and colorful letters that say "Celebrate". Only I don't know if 9 letters will fit within 24" I'd like to sew the letters in a liberated piecing style - not applique.
Maybe I could go with "Eat Cake"....? "Party"?
what do you think?

posted Hide Post
I will add 3 candles on the top of the cake after I've sewn the rows together.

Wouldn't the cake blocks make a fun swap?

Irish...what are you up to? I get your row first - yeehaw! I can't wait to start this.

Picture of Quiltaholic
posted Hide Post
What about the name of the one who is celebrating...

www.pigtalesandquilts.com
www.crazyquiltingsupplies.com

Crazy Quilting is addictive so we just have to STITCH IT OUT LOUD!

Posts: 25862 | Location: USA | Registered: Oct 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to use it for the whole family.

Each kid will get it on their day. The bearer of the birthday quilt will get to choose the movie that night. One last hurrah before they turn into an ordinary person again. (Then dad gets the remote and we watch ESPN.....boring!)

Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
Arg! new computer making me crazy! Here is my first row. I'm going to scream. It keeps knocking me out. FYI I'll be adding the red to my rows after I get them back

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J Lu,

J Lu

Posts: 1089 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
This is my fabrics and other stuff I'll be adding to the top after the rows are all in my possession.

J Lu

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Great idea, RB! I consider Rondi a queen of liberated piecing, based upon seeing her work in the past Smile. I think that it would be a great idea for your quilt. You could do "PARTY!" so that each of the six characters (including the exclamation point) would get roughly four inches of space in your remaining 24".

Another possibility would be that you could do two 12" rows to be the center of your quilt. Then you could spread the word(s) out on one strip and do something else with your remaining space on the row you are doing. You could do a few different layouts with the rows that come in like:

4"
6"
8"
12"
12"
8"
6"
4"

-OR-

6"
8"
12"
4"
12"
8"
6"

In the second scenario, you wouldn't have to make a second 4" row.

Hope this makes sense. Lots of possibilities--you are making me think of going a similar way with my quilt--I have some of that Happy Birthday fabric and some coordinating FQs too. Ack! I *really* want to use the peacocks and don't want to lose focus.

Picture of Fleur55
posted Hide Post
The rows are looking great!! Which fabric will be sent around with your rows? I will be sending the red along with mine Smile

posted Hide Post
Of course, Lisa....2, 12" rows (thank you)!

I will send the Happy Birthday fabric with my row.
Gonna go sew now.

Picture of Lisa - TX
posted Hide Post
Glad that I could help!Big Grin! I was thinking of doing that on mine, but can't get focused enough in my brain to start sewing yet.

Since I am thinking about using my peacock fabric stash, I thought about making a row with a horizontal braid with the peacock feathers in the center and all of the coordinates as the braid pieces.

Happy sewing to all of us! Looking forward to seeing more of the starting rows.

posted Hide Post
Love what I am seeing! I need to get moving but have a quilt with a send off date for a cause that I have to get finished so I can focus on this.
Love the idea about the birthday quilt. Do you read or follow Mary Lou Wiedman's blogs? Love her art quilts/story quilts. She has done several cake quilts. Try and get a book or if you google images for her and cake quilt I bet you could pull them up.
Looks like everyones we have seen so far are all different and unique.
I seriously thought about doing a Holiday Inn quilt! Like in the movie? How fun would that be, every row a different holiday. I am keeping that on the back burner for one day.
Hope by this time next week I have something to show.
Rondi

Picture of irish62
posted Hide Post
My fabric choice. The blue will be the common thread. I love the butterscotch with the blue.

posted Hide Post
Love those colors together Irish!

Rondi

posted Hide Post
Irish - the fabs are gorgeous.

Rondi - I looked up Mary Lou; what great blogs she has! Her quilt style is so cool. lots of inspiration there.

I pieced the word "Party" for my row. that was harder than I thought. I enjoyed it though. Will post a pic soon.

posted Hide Post
I'm done.

Picture of Nickilee
posted Hide Post
Rockin....that is going to be one fun row to work on and when it's done it'll be an awesome party quilt!

Ok - got my new patterns pritned (this time the correct size) and am going to do a test run -thanks Fleur for the ideaBig Grin

Irish - those colors are soooooo you and I love them together. I actually have a piece of fabric that I bought last year that have those exact colors in it - a little out there as it is sorta bohemian... I think it came from an Australian line of fabric that I fell in love with.