Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  IN THE GARDEN mugrug swap
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IN THE GARDEN mugrug swap Sign In/Join 
Picture of mandylifeboats
posted
I am hosting a new mugrug swap. what is a mugrug? a mugrug is bigger than a coaster, much smaller than a placemat, big enough for a cup and a treat. here are some links to get u started. lots of tutorials if u scroll on down. mine usually measure 6 x 9", give or take.

Come join the fun! beginner quilters welcome!

www.twomoreseconds.com/p/mug-rug-madness.html
http://pinterest.com/wandans/mug-rugs-luv-em/

here are the details:

THEME: In the garden Smile
You will design a garden mugrug. this theme might include flowers, butterflies, plantings, bees, vegetables, etc.

MAIL BY: July 31
HOW MANY WILL YOU MAKE: One. I will pair you with a partner.

*If you have not participated in one of my mugrug swaps, please private message me with your mailing address.

***Note: I need volunteers to step forward to become a mugrug angel. This person will fill in for someone who didn't receive a mugrug, for one reason or another.
----

My binding technique. Instead of actually putting on a binding, this is what i do.

1. i back "binding" fabric with the wonder under stuff.
2. then i cut 3/4" wide strips.
3. i fold the strips in half lengthwise.
4. take paper off.
5. i butt the edge of the mugrug to the fold and then iron it down, one side, turn it over, the other side.
6. then i pick a fancy machine stitch and stitch all around.

------
Swap partners -

Evelyn B will swap with rozhearts
KaylaQuilts will swap with Shirlwin
Shawkl will swap with SueB
pegsami will swap with nik
Quiltnanny will swap with Sassy NeedlePusher
sewnso will swap with ilovemy4kids
califshrimp will swap with headielamar
Sewlove2quilt will swap with HappyErme
Shawkl will swap with califgal
J Lu will swap with elsie123
Catwmn27 will swap with City/Sandie
motqltr will swap with wiley
applik will swap with Shawkl
SeeingStars will swap with miss mikol
Jane_Kiwi will swap with Quiltinana2
Sue Stitches will swap with mandylifeboats

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mandylifeboats,

Posts: 4992 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
***Note: I need volunteers Smile to step forward to become a mugrug angel. This person will fill in for someone who didn't receive a mugrug, for one reason or another.

So if you didn't receive a mugrug, you will private message me, so we don't embarrass the swapper who couldn't or didn't fullfill her end of the swap.

I will list those who step forward to be an angel here. do not feel guilty if you cannot do this. Smile thanks in advance.
-----
a. Quiltinana2
b. nik
c. KaylaQuilts
d. EvelynB
e. wiley
f. PatV82
g. pegsami
h. Catwmn27
i. J Lu
j. SeeingStars
k. motqultr
l. rozhearts
m. City/Sandie

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mandylifeboats,

Posts: 4992 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
Mandy put me down for this fun swap. You can put me down for the angel list as well.
Joan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quiltinana2,

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EvelynB
posted Hide Post
I've not been called an angel often so this is my chance;-)
I already have my idea for this one too.

Posts: 7352 | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
I'm in Wave and as always will swap internationally and will be an angel if needed. WOW Angel is not the usual term used to describe me Big Grin

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 761 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califshrimp
posted Hide Post
OH this sounds fun!
I haven't swapped rugs in awhile.
Please sign me up.

I want to be the kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says: "Oh NO! She's UP!"

Posts: 1758 | Registered: Apr 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Count me in and I can be an "angel" as well.

Posts: 4429 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
me me please

SUE B

The smallest Cross in the corner is the one you put in the room.

I hope all our daily ups and downs are with needle and thread.

COF 2007 http://www2.snapfish.com/snapf...BRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Posts: 1492 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Please add me to the list. I'll send you a pm shortly. Garden themes are wonderful...so many ideas!

But, just one...can we sign up multiple times? If so...I'd like to make three. Each will be different. If not...that's fine too. I'll just keep two of the ideas I have for little giftees.

Hugs,

Posts: 4636 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Happy Erme
posted Hide Post
Sign me up Smile. (to swap)

Erma

Smile Craft Happens! Smile

Posts: 3151 | Location: TX | Registered: Mar 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I definitely can be an Angel. If I finish the sweet mugrug this coming Monday, then I will sign up for this one. I'm having surgery on Tuesday and would like to think I will "have" to devote more time to sewing - since I won't be doing housework! So for now, just put me down for an Angel.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 480 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pegsami
posted Hide Post
I would like to sign up for this swap, please, and I'd love to be an angel if necessary.

Variety & Contrast means BUY EVERYTHING

Posts: 1040 | Location: oregon | Registered: Jun 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Catwmn27
posted Hide Post
Please sign me up for both.

Posts: 185 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J Lu
posted Hide Post
I'm in Mandi, and Ill be an angel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J Lu,

J Lu

Posts: 1029 | Location: Eldersburg Maryland | Registered: Oct 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
Oh yes I think I can do this one too. Please sign me up.

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3023 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sassy needle pusher
posted Hide Post
I want to play! I'll send my PM with info Smile

Sassy NeedlePusher

Posts: 4362 | Registered: Dec 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
Me. Because of my shoulder surgery on July 9th, I've almost finished the top.

http://flickr.com/photos/motqltr
~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3620 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewlove2quilt
posted Hide Post
YES!!! Sign me up for this 1....sorry about the mix up last time but the retreat is now over and I should be able to find the time to make 1 now!

https://www.etsy.com/people/sewlove2quilt2

Take time for kindness & for giving. Take time for friends & happy living!

Posts: 6796 | Registered: Feb 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
Sign me up as well pleaseSmile

Posts: 383 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of califgal
posted Hide Post
i wanna play again too. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: califgal,

Posts: 3491 | Registered: Sep 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KaylaQuilts
posted Hide Post
Just finished my mugrug waiting for my new swap buddy

Kayla

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
-Edgar Allan Poe-

Posts: 761 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: Jan 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add me please.... I shouldn't but I am. Smile
Blessings
Sandra

Posts: 528 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeeingStars
posted Hide Post
I'll play along too! I hope you won't need so many angels, but I'm willing.

Posts: 3593 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: Dec 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltnanny
posted Hide Post
I'm in as well. I like all the previous rugs I have received.
I would swap internationally also . Thank you.

Posts: 4437 | Location: Fabricologist Resource Center, NH | Registered: Mar 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
Mandy,
did you see my PM? I replied to an older one rather than start a new

~Don't assume people have a plan; they might be waiting for you to tell them the plan!~

Posts: 3620 | Location: southeast, Washington, USA | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elsie123
posted Hide Post
Count me in, sounds fun. You should have my info already.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Texas | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of applik
posted Hide Post
I am back in for this one. Can sew on my furlough days Wink

Posts: 1272 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rozhearts
posted Hide Post
I will join in on this swap as well I have loved creating these smallish quilts.
Will post overseas, and if you need any more angels I am able to be one

(((HUGS))) Roz.

Posts: 65 | Location: New South Wales Australia | Registered: Apr 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Mugrugs are so small, that I don't do binding on them at all. Instead, I create the backing with a center seam...and leave part of it open.

Then, I sandwich my front, batting, and back. Sew all around the four sides and turn out through the opening I left in the backing piece.

Lastly, hand stitch the center seam and press everything. I quilt through all layers on the machine, hide the thread ends and am done.

So, if you don't want to mess with binding...these are really easy to work up.

Posts: 4636 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the idea. I hate doing bindings.

Posts: 377 | Location: Middle of the Mitten | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of City/Sandie
posted Hide Post
... I will be home with time to get one done, please add me to the list this time ... and I see you have a list of angels already - but please add me too ... things happen in the real world and sometimes things just don't happen like we plan.

I cannot change 'things', but I can change how I feel about them. Me.

Wounded Warrior Project
www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Posts: 9117 | Location: Inland Empire, CA | Registered: Mar 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i need one more swapper to make an even number, or i could draw someone from the angel list. what should mandy do?

Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Mandy should add me to the swap list & I would love to swap internationally.

Nicki

Posts: 8164 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of missmikol
posted Hide Post
Add me to your list Smile
This will be a great excuse to get me back in the sewing room...for a few days anyway. Sending you a pm.

ETA: I can do 2 if that will help keep the numbers even.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: missmikol,

... ... ... ... ... ... ...
A hug is a great gift - one size fits all and its easy to exchange.
http://missmikolsplace.blogspot.com ~ http://russonreview.blogspot.com

Posts: 3130 | Registered: Oct 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to be #30 please Smile

I am all done moving and the only thing on my list is finishing something for Califgal that should have been done 2 months ago Frown

Jane_Kiwi

Posts: 1811 | Location: New Zealander livin' in NYC | Registered: Jan 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sue Stitches
posted Hide Post
I can do one or wait till the next one if it doesn't work out. For bindings, I use the Quick and Easy Mitered binding tool. Uses the backing as binding which makes it simple. Saw it on a blog!

Posts: 811 | Location: Northern California  | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of headielamar
posted Hide Post
I would like to sign up for this one if you are still taking people.

Posts: 2865 | Location: Cuddled up in my pretty purple house! | Registered: Jul 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
Wow -by my count that's 32 for this swap. That's great. What a great picture show we should have.

Ready, Set........

posted Hide Post
ok, i am going to end sign-ups now because we have an even number, 32. that has to be a record for swaps in general. wow wow wow.

~Bloom where you are planted~

posted Hide Post
swap partners and addresses have gone out. check your private messages!

remember, if you do not receive a mugrug in a fair amount of time, "private message" me, and i will have an angel fill in. you do not need to send the angel a mugrug back.

let's have fun with this and we want to see pictures.

Picture of Sue B
posted Hide Post
Shawkl I'll be starting on yours next Friday.

SUE B

The smallest Cross in the corner is the one you put in the room.

I hope all our daily ups and downs are with needle and thread.

COF 2007 http://www2.snapfish.com/snapf...BRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Posts: 1492 | Location: North of the Gulf of Mexico | Registered: Apr 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewnso
posted Hide Post
ilovemy4kids I will be sending yours out on tomorrow. It is all done, and I'll go stateside then. With the holiday it might take awhile. :-)

If life hands you scraps make quilts

Posts: 3023 | Location: Southern BC, Canada | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Yay!!! I'm looking forward to swapping with Pegsami! Wow, my little mug rug will be going all the way up to Oregon.

Nicki

Posts: 8164 | Location: Texas / Zone 9 | Registered: Sep 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
a little hand-sewing and mine will be ready to mail.
I don't know why, but these little projects just grow and grow. This one could be a whole placemat.

Picture of Shirlwin
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean motqltrSmile This time I used a pattern and it is larger than other times.

Posts: 383 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pegsami
posted Hide Post
Nik--I am looking forward to swapping with you, too (actually, I just posted this to the other messages, but now I am sure you'll get it LOL)I did ask about favorite colors--I know I love them all !!

Variety & Contrast means BUY EVERYTHING

Posts: 1040 | Location: oregon | Registered: Jun 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nlk
posted Hide Post
Pegsami, any colors & any style will please me. I love flowers, butterflies, birds, lizards, squirrles & anything else that wanders throug a garden. ;}

Nicki

Picture of applik
posted Hide Post
It was so good to get back to my quilting room today! I have mine partially assembled and hope to get it done over the long weekend.

Posts: 1272 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Jun 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quiltinana2
posted Hide Post
Jane -kiwi, I worked on yours today and should get it in the mail tomorrow.

It's funny how you start out with one idea in mind and by the time you are finished it looks totally different! I hope you like it.

Joan

Picture of motqltr
posted Hide Post
wiley, I mailed yesterday. I have conf # if we need it.