Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  Final block for the Funky Chicken sew-along
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Final block for the Funky Chicken sew-along Sign In/Join 
Picture of bluesnail
posted
Well, ladies, it's here at last - our final block for the Funky Chicken sew-along.

Please post your photo of your 12th block on this thread. I'll be drawing the winner's name for Sindy's prize shortly after the 1st of January. I will set up a separate thread for you to post a photo of your finished quilt top.

Thanks to all who managed to get all the Chickens home to roost. You gals are super!

Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg! Lois

Posts: 2223 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post
I printed off the pattern, but am still far behind on my blocks. Love them, just haven't had the time yet.

Posts: 13285 | Location: Southwestern Maine Zone 5 U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gracie/ohio
posted Hide Post
I printed it out. I think this is my first BOM I have completely stayed with. Usually, I get half done and yes...UFO's. Smile Smile Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gracieaohio/sets/
http://sewngracefully.blogspot.com/

You've reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.

Posts: 1497 | Location: Under my pile of UFO's | Registered: Mar 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AuroraB
posted Hide Post
Same with me Gracie except I'm wondering if I'll finish satin stitching mine and get them sashed!

Posts: 193 | Registered: Aug 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Gracious! I've got a couple to do to get up to date, plus this one. Hope I get them all done before the end of the year. The top may get put together if I do, but it sure won't get quilted!!! Got to get back home first.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6477 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of darn75
posted Hide Post
Here's my Dec. Chick! I've loved working on these each month.

This, will, hopefully be a quilt for my DIL for Christmas. I have the top all together but not sure when I will get to the actual quilting. Did you want a picture of just the top or when It's all finished? Thanks!

Posts: 462 | Registered: Oct 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chanlady22
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see some of these completed as they should be wonderful...colorful and whimsical! Please post when done.

Happy Stitching...Lois

Posts: 2202 | Location: Chanhassen, MN | Registered: Aug 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
darn75, that is a very cute chick Nice fussy cut on the wing. Can't wait to see the finished tops.

Posts: 8020 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13285 | Location: Southwestern Maine Zone 5 U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pch
posted Hide Post
here is my Nov chic,just getting back to sewing after Sandy still have more cleaning to do

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pch,

Posts: 249 | Location: South Salem,New York | Registered: Jan 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pch
posted Hide Post
Dec block

Posts: 249 | Location: South Salem,New York | Registered: Jan 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pch
posted Hide Post
all sewd together and appliqued just have to add the batting and backing, but that will have to wait until Jan as I have more cleaning to do from Sandy. Sorry the picture is not a little larger still have not mastered posting pictures.
have a great holiday and new year

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pch,

posted Hide Post
Oh, I can't believe you have it all sewn together already!!! Got to get busy on mine, for sure.

That's just as cute as can be, too.

Hope you didn't have too much damage from Sandy.

Posts: 6477 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of darn75
posted Hide Post
Looks great pch. I've so enjoyed making these blocks - here's mine all sewn together also, not sure if I'll get it quilted before Christmas or not, but sure going to try!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: darn75,

Picture of AuroraB
posted Hide Post
Those are both adorable!

Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
A finished top = just the quilt top. It does not need to be quilted to be eligible for the final prize drawing.

Don't these chickies look good all assembled into a nice top???? Way to go, ladies.

Posts: 2223 | Location: sunny Florida | Registered: Aug 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Oh my only the 7th of the month and you have not only block finishes, but top finishes. Congratulations. I have watched from afar how neat these little chickens have been made and these tops are going to be sewww cute. TFS

Posts: 8020 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't remember if I posted some of these but just in case, here are June, July, August, September and October. Now, if I could EVER get this #*@%T*)#%$ printer to work, I'd print off the last two and work on them!!! Guess I made the fatal mistake of turning off the printer before leaving town for two weeks!

Picture of Shawkl
posted Hide Post
Beautiful tops ladies!

My last chicken fell off the fence...and has not gotten back on yet! Too many family sewing projects. Thought after the christening gown, I could get back to "my things". But, brother needs drapes for his new house...and I agreed.

So, no way am I going to finish these on time.

But, I will finish...they are just too cute not to get done.

Lois, the challenge was fun...and I hope you do another one next year too.

Posts: 4633 | Location: Alabama | Registered: Nov 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All 12 of mine are almost done.. finishing the embroidery and hopefully will finish the sashings and border next weekend then.

I added to the appliques each month, so I have a Noah's ark chicken, a soccer player, a reader, etc. Will post when I am done with Decembers bock (animals/Noah Ark block).

Posts: 1856 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jen, what a fabulous idea!! Can't wait to see them.

Picture of sash
posted Hide Post
Number 12 done and I can honestly say I really enjoyed doing this and can't wait til the top is all put together, quilted and finished; just exited to see what it's going to look like. I can also honestly say I never mastered the blanket stitch on my machine; still looks tacky, but it is done. Love seeing what every one has done and they all look so good.

Posts: 1461 | Location: Texas | Registered: Oct 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KC1930
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any inkling of what she will do for 2013?

http://hexagonswap.blogspot.com/

For donated quilts for the kids, check out the photos at
http://kc1930.blogspot.com/201...-pictures-below.html

Posts: 9225 | Location: Lewiston, Maine | Registered: Feb 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally had to email the patterns to my friend who printed them off for me. So, at last, I have the Nov and Dec patterns. Hopefully I'll get to them later this week.

Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
I was wondering that same thing KC, I really regret not doing these this year. I'll have to check out what is happening in 2013

Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
This is # 12 all done. I do not know when I will find the time to put it all together, but I am sure it won't be until after Christmas. I have enjoyed these funky chicks a lot and thank you to Bluesnail for starting this project. You have been a great host.

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2312 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sash
posted Hide Post
Carolyn, I love your fabric for your chick; looks so cute. Makes mine look so dull; thought about redoing, but no don't think i will.

Posts: 1461 | Location: Texas | Registered: Oct 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MountainLaurel
posted Hide Post
thank you Sash. I wouldn't fret too much over a dull one. I, too, have a couple that are lighter and not so bright but all together I am sure they will roost well!

Carolyn

http://harrisburgcof2013.shutterfly.com/pictures

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Posts: 2312 | Location: somewhere in my fabric stash | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Not all the chickens want to be bright and beautiful and make the farmer notice them. You know what happens when the farmer takes notice of them don't you??? LOL
I don't think I saw even one chicken that didn't have personality they all could come and roost at my house. I think I'm going to suggest to DH to gift me the Funky Chicken patterns. That should make him happy. Shopping via computer and instant download. Works for him.

Picture of quiltbea
posted Hide Post

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Got my Chr*stmas chic done in reds/green. I still have Oct. and Nov. to finish but here is my gal ready for Santa.

Thanks for doing this Lois. This has been a great project and I just love the chics.

Mary

Posts: 3985 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Almost have October finished. And I need to find the Nov. pattern.

Mary

PS - I don't think I saved the Nov. pattern. Does anyone have it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fishingwidow,

Posts: 3985 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
TTT. We all know that these plump chickies can NOT fly, so I'm movin' this up for the next photo.

Picture of AuroraB
posted Hide Post
Here's mine for December; all dressed up for Christmas. It's been fun and I've loved them all! Merry Christmas everybody!

Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Here's my December bird. I posted the pic in the other thread too.
I loved this BOM, was so much fun to find the right fabrics. Now sewing them all together Big Grin

Posts: 1103 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Here's the top, ready to be quilted. If only I had any idea how to quilt this one!
The sashing is 1" finished and so is the small border. As this will be a wallhanging I didn't want it any larger.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Europe (The Netherlands) | Registered: Jan 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, you just answered my question as to whether to put sashing between the blocks. Looks fabulous!! I don't know whether I'll use black or not, but definitely something. Thanks for the demo.

And, its just as cute as can be.

posted Hide Post
Great blocks ladies! I have not visited here in so long...wish I would have. I would definately have been a part of this group. What great quilts you will have as you finish! WOW!

Posts: 215 | Registered: Aug 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
Anael, I love your finished top! That black sashing really makes those chickies pop!

Picture of Gracie/ohio
posted Hide Post
Great show...!!! Here's my last block...

Posts: 1497 | Location: Under my pile of UFO's | Registered: Mar 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gracie/ohio
posted Hide Post
Here's all 12 blocks together... Don't see it finished until March. Have to do a few other quilts first...(some babies are due for friends...Hahaa..) Smile

Picture of darn75
posted Hide Post
Anael, if you come up with a good idea on quilting, I'd be interested! I just did a meandering on mine as I'd already ripped out quilting on the whole thing and just wanted to finish it and mail it to its owner! However, I really didn't care for that so if I can figure out something better, I'll get it back and requilt it - will just have to quilt with regular sewing machine as I won't take the binding off!

Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Just finished up my last 2 blocks before the end of the year. Here they are.

Mary

posted Hide Post
Mary, glad you got them done in time.

Here's my "finished" quilt top. Who knows when it'll actually be quilted!!! For now, it'll join the others in the armoir.

Picture of quiltslots
posted Hide Post
I really, really wanted to finish my blocks before the end of the year. So, here are Sept and Oct.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of quiltslots
posted Hide Post
And Nov and Dec. I have enjoyed everyones blocks and thank you Lois for hosting this hen party!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: quiltslots,

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bluesnail
posted Hide Post
It's so nice to see our faithful members getting those last few blocks done.
I've enjoyed all the work you ladies have done throughout the year and hope Sindy comes up with another neat BOM for us in 2013.

Picture of warm buns
posted Hide Post
My computer went on the blink way back in May and I have relied on my Kindle to keep in touch here on the board. It was not hooked up to my printer so I could not print off the designs.

I ordered the pattern for them when I got my new computer and got it compatable with my printer.

When I get home I will work on getting these done.

I love all the colors you all have used and love the sashing you all have used to put them together.

Posts: 3628 | Location: Elvis, birthplace | Registered: Nov 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anael7621
posted Hide Post
Wow, so many great chicks and lovely tops!

I know I haven't been on here much this month. Our family had a very sad and very stressful December month and I didn't feel like making blocks at all.

Bluesnail, thanks very much for hosting this funky party! It sure was a lot of fun to make these chicks Big Grin
Sindy, thanks for all the funky chicks!
CU all next year - I hope!

posted Hide Post
Have you guys ever gone to Sindy's site and read any of her Family Dirt entries? You will absolutely cry all over the keyboard cause you'll be laughing so much!!! Go check it out.
I'd seen them before but had forgotten about them.