Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Quilting & Needlework
  My Version of Today's Mystery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Version of Today's Mystery Sign In/Join 
posted
I didn't want to post on the other thread in case some people don't want to see, but here is my version of Mystery Mayhem's #137.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quilter Jen,

Posts: 1962 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Close up of a corner

Posts: 1962 | Location: Idaho | Registered: Aug 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Ooh, that turned out so pretty! Mine is still just a set of blocks.

Posts: 6595 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty j
posted Hide Post
Oh Jen, that is so pretty. I'm always afraid of doing a mystery quilt, I like know where my color choices are going to end up. Congrats on the finish.

Posts: 8127 | Location: Kenosha Wi USA | Registered: Sep 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't supposed to even sew today-- but needed a break from job applications, sprinklers, decking with the wrong tools, etc. Smile

Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
Jen, that's great! I'm still in the middle of Step #2. Quite a slacker huh?

Posts: 5788 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I would say the mystery was a total success for you. Your fabric choices are great.

Posts: 1167 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
That is indeed very pretty. I have never done a mystery quilt either, I must say yours turned out lovely. Looking forward now to seeing the others completed.

Posts: 5316 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
PattyJ and Miss Lensews2 - don't be afraid of doing a mystery, and here is why.
I do not like basket quilts. Yuck I think they are kinda silly and I just do not like them. Saying that, if I would have know the mystery I was doing was to make a basket quilt, I would not have done it - BUT - I LOVE this quilt and it is also the one my hubby as soon as he saw it told me it was his!!!! Big Grin

So, on the next mystery you find, jump on the mystery wagon and go for a ride!!! This is also how Bonnie Hunters 'Orca' quilt got finished!!! Wink
I love a mystery - and why not just have some mindless fun once in awhile. You might find something you really like, and if not, it would make a good gift!! They don't have to know how you feel about it!!! Wink Big Grin

And Jen, this looks like it was fun!!! Great job!! Wave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: L.L.,

Posts: 2370 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Elainetoo
posted Hide Post
That turned out really nice. Like your fabric selection.

I've got it downloaded for future.

Posts: 8126 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Nov 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fishingwidow
posted Hide Post
Really turned out nice! I might have to try one of the mystery quilts one day.

Mary

Posts: 4019 | Location: On the north coast | Registered: Sep 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of royalboomer
posted Hide Post
I've only made one mystery quilt - ended up giving it to my sister for her birthday a few years ago. I have to admit to being somewhat nervous not "knowing" where each color would be going Smile It did turn out very nice and she was very happy - though I think the label was the icing on the cake for her! Nothing odd - I just added a picture of the two of us together from a recent trip she had made home to the label and that is what she saw first when she opened the box.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: Oct 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcpatches
posted Hide Post
I'm on step five - so slow I don't know how you did it so quickly Jen! I used the colors suggested, but still will be unique because I unknowingly switched two colors. Hopefully will get it done some time soon!

Posts: 5788 | Location: Midwest | Registered: Jan 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Devoted a lot of Saturday to doing it. Glad I did though- worked on applications Sunday, Monday. Yard work (finishing sprinklers all day) Tuesday, Wednesday. Interviewed at one school today and had to get fingerprinted for my Idaho credential at the police department. Haven't sewn since then! The interview panel today seemed impressed I worked quilting into lessons as an enrichment activity Smile

Picture of pvillelou
posted Hide Post
Mine now has borders! I added an extra row of blocks on one end and changed the borders a little. After this gets quilted, it will go to a veteran's home. I should have followed the suggestion in the directions and used a large print for those largest squares and had more contrast between that fabric and the other tan one. In the pic, it isn't obvious that all those lightest pieces are blue (I didn't have enough of any one piece so used a variety of light blues.) However, I am happy with the result anyway.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pvillelou,

Posts: 6595 | Registered: Nov 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L.L.
posted Hide Post
this is pretty!!

Posts: 2370 | Location: Alberta, Canada!!  | Registered: Mar 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post